Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Find the best way to send money to Mauritania
Learn how to send money to Mauritania from Canada in our step-by-step guide.
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to family, friends or businesses in Mauritania (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Don't head straight to your Canadian bank – compare specialist money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better MRU exchange rates and lower fees, so for the same amount of Canadian dollars you send, your recipient will receive more Mauritanian ouguiyas.
Of the companies we've compared, Remitly is among the cheapest, with competitive exchange rates and fees starting from $1.99. Need a really fast transfer? Remitly can get money to your recipient in Mauritania within an hour.
Best ways to send money to Mauritania from CanadaThe best way to send money to Mauritania depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Bank transfer. Typically the cheapest option, bank transfers are an easy way to send money to Mauritania but are often slower than other methods.
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) transfer. With this type of transfer, the transfer service matches people buying Canadian Dollars in one country with people who are selling it in another, potentially securing a more competitive exchange rate.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to MauritaniaUse our table to compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Mauritania. You can compare deposit and receiving options, fees and transfer speeds, then click the "Go to site" button when you've found the best one to get your money to Mauritania.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Cheapest way to send money to Mauritania
Bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to Mauritania. Remitly and have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to Mauritania, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your Canadian bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market CAD/MRU exchange rate.
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Mauritanian ouguiyas your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to Mauritania
Many online providers can offer transfers to Mauritania within minutes, although you're likely to pay a premium for the convenience.Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to Mauritania:
- Remitly — within an hour
Actual transfer times from Canada to Mauritania can depend on several different factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.
Safest way to send money to Mauritania
The safest way to get your money to Mauritania is to use a provider registered with Canada's industry regulator, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both Canada and Mauritania.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Mauritania
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Mauritania, consider using a provider such as Remitly to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Mauritania may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on CRA's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the MRU exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, a provider such as Remitly can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to Mauritania from Canada
To send money to Mauritania, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Mauritania. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Mauritanian bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Mauritanian ouguiyas your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Mauritania. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to Mauritania
When choosing a money transfer provider to send money from Canada to Mauritania, it's important to consider the cost, how you want your recipient to receive the funds and the turnaround time. Here are other features to review:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the MRU you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Mauritania for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Mauritanian bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Some companies offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Mauritania faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer purpose. Whether your transfer is for personal or business reasons influences which provider you want to use. If it is a one-off personal transfer, then fast and cheap may be the way to go. But if you make recurring transfers or send large amounts, a business transfer specialist like may be more economical.
- Forex tools. Are you able to set rate targets, lock in a good MRU rate for the future or create a stop-loss order? Advanced forex tools can help make your transfer cheaper, which is useful if you make multiple transfers a year.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Remitly allows transfers up to $60,000.
- Customer support. If you're sending larger amounts or looking for some guidance, it's important to choose a provider you can contact by phone like Remitly.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Mauritanian ouguiyas.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to China
Transferring CAD-CNY is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to China.
Find the best way to send money to Uzbekistan
Need to transfer CAD to UZS? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to Uzbekistan.
Find the best way to send money to the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Want to send CAD to the Democratic Republic of the Congo? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Congo-Brazzaville
Transferring CAD-XOF is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to Congo-Brazzaville.
Find the best way to send money to Haiti
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Haiti? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to the Central African Republic
Want to send CAD to the Central African Republic? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Curaçao
Transferring CAD-XOF is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to Curaçao.
Find the best way to send money to Mali
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Mali? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Chad
Transferring CAD-XAF is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to Chad.