Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Rewards chequing accounts
Earn points or air miles on your everyday purchases.
A rewards chequing account lets you earn cash back, miles or points when you spend money without having to use a credit card. Although scarce, we’ve researched rewards chequing accounts available today, so you can quickly find the one that’s right for you.
Compare rewards chequing accounts
Along with the rewards chequing accounts in the table below, The Bank of Montreal also offers the BMO AIR MILES chequing account which allows customers to earn points towards travel and other purchases.
The benefits of using a rewards chequing account
As more rewards chequing account become available, they could offer:
- Savings. Free plane tickets and cash back on purchases lets you spend less and save more.
- Flexible rewards. Some accounts offer multiple ways to earn rewards. For example, you might earn extra points or rewards for referring a friend or making purchases in a specific category.
- Accessibility. Rewards chequing accounts come with debit cards so you can make purchases online, over the counter and over the phone.
- Guaranteed. If you use a CDIC-insured bank, your money is backed by the federal government up to $100,000.
The downsides of a rewards chequing account
Negative aspects of rewards chequing accounts can include:
- Fees. Rewards chequing accounts often come with monthly fees, though you may be able to have them waived by meeting certain requirements.
- Overspending. Avoid making purchases in order to gain points. With the right rewards account, you should be able to build your point balance with your normal banking activities.
How do I compare rewards chequing accounts?
If you’re considering opening a rewards chequing account, factor in:
- What types of rewards are offered. Would you prefer AIR MILES or SCENE points? If the account offers points that can be redeemed another way, are the rewards useful?
- The terms and conditions of the rewards. Do you have to meet any requirements to get rewards, such as maintaining a minimum account balance or having a certain amount direct deposited each month? There may also be conditions on which purchases are eligible for points or cash back.
- How points are earned. What percent cash back do you get, or for miles, how much do you need to spend to earn a mile?
- Fees. Check to see if there are any monthly fees and, if so, if there’s a way to have them waived. You’ll also want to check ATM fees and international transaction fees.
- Accessibility. This includes ATM availability, branch access and online/mobile banking access.
How does a rewards chequing account work?
Depending on which one you choose, there are a number of ways to earn rewards with your chequing account. For example, you can be rewarded for maintaining your daily balance, for the purchases you make using the issued debit card, or both.
Depending on your banking habits, you could end up with a substantial number of points. These points can then be used toward airfare or selected purchases and vouchers. Some allow you to redeem your points in the form of cash that gets put back into your account. Think about how you use your chequing account and the types of rewards you’d use to compare accounts.
Rewards chequing accounts can help you save money and earn rewards with your everyday purchases. But don’t let the promise of extra miles or cash back convince you to sign up for an account that isn’t the right fit. Compare other chequing accounts to make sure you’re getting the one that’s right for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
BMO AIR MILES World Elite Business Mastercard review
Sign up for this premium business card to earn AIR MILES and get access to travel insurance and virtual health care.
BMO World Elite Business Mastercard Review
Earn BMO points on every purchase and take advantage of travel perks and virtual healthcare with this innovative business card.
RRSP tax guide
RRSPs provide tax benefits to Canadians, such as the RRSP tax deduction. Learn about RRSP taxes in our guide.
How to finance your holiday inventory
Get a business loan for your holiday inventory purchases.
Compare personal loans for Christmas
Compare personal loans for Christmas. Apply online and get your funds within 24 to 48 hours.
Stock trading tax guide in Canada
We break down how the CRA treats stock gains and losses, how foreign stocks are taxed, which trading expenses are tax-deductible and more.
What is an in-trust account?
What does “in trust” mean and how do informal trusts work? Find out in our guide to in-trust accounts.
What is NFT Gaming?
Non-fungible tokens are allowing players to own a part of the gaming ecosystem. Find out what NFT gaming is, how players are earning money and how you can get started.
ChainGuardians is a blockchain-based RPG and crypto play-to-earn adventure.
Mega Crypto Polis is a play to earn decentralised city builder. Buildings, citizens, and pets are NFTs that are tradable or playable within the game.