Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
Greenbox Capital business loans review
Get financing for your business from this US-based company.
Renfi Renovation Loan Review
Finance your home renovations with a Renfi loan. Borrow up to $150,000.
How to get a $300 loan
Compare your $300 loan options to find a fast, affordable loan when you need it.
If you are looking for a car loan and live in Ontario, check out online lender AutoLoanProviders.ca.
5 bonus features to look for in a money transfer provider
SPONSORED: From cashback to super low fees, here are the Top 5 bonus features to look for in a money transfer—and how Simplii Financial can help you.
Best dividend stocks in Canada
We’ve rounded up the top dividend stocks in Canada. Check out current stock prices, historical stock performance, company info and more.
10 ways to invest for social justice
Put your money where your mouth is by rethinking how you invest to support BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and other marginalized communities.
Electric vehicle (EV) stocks to watch and how to invest
We take a closer look at 6 popular EV stocks and what these stocks can offer Canadian investors.
Best Portfolio Trackers of 2021
Crypto portfolio trackers are a must to stay on top of your crypto investments. Here’s our list of the standout trackers to consider with pros and cons for each.
Dogecoin (DOGE) price prediction 2021
Where is the price of Dogecoin headed in 2021 and beyond, and what are the factors affecting the value of this iconic cryptocurrency?
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.