Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
7 debt consolidation options in Calgary
Compare solutions to consolidate debt in Calgary.
7 debt consolidation strategies in Edmonton
Compare solutions to consolidate debt in Edmonton. Weigh their pros and cons to find the best debt consolidation service for you.
Compare crypto loans for debt consolidation
Crypto-backed loans can offer low APRs to people who can’t qualify for a debt consolidation loan. But there are several risks.
6 debt consolidation solutions in Ontario
Compare the 6 types of debt consolidation in Ontario and choose the best solution for you.
10 debt consolidation providers in BC
Follow this guide to weigh your options for debt consolidation in BC.
Personal loans in Edmonton
Compare personal loans in Edmonton for good and bad credit scores. Apply online or in person.
RBC ION+ Visa review
Th low fee RBC ION+ Visa lets you earn 3X rewards for everyday purchases and streaming subscriptions, groceries and transportation.
RBC ION Visa review
The fee-free RBC ION Visa lets you earn rewards for everyday purchases and streaming subscriptions, groceries and transportation.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.