- Minimum Transfer Amount
- Fastest Transfer Speed
- Within minutes
- Receiving Options
- Cash pickup location, Bank account, Mobile wallet, Home delivery
- Available Currencies
- ALL, AMD, ARS, AUD, AZN, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BIF, BMD, BND, BOB, BRL, BSD, BTN, BWP, BYN, BZD, CDF, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, CVE, CZK, DJF, DKK, DOP, DZD, EGP, ERN, ETB, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GHS, GIP, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HKD, HNL, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, ISK, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KGS, KHR, KMF, KRW, KWD, KYD, KZT, LAK, LBP, LKR, LRD, LSL, MAD, MDL, MGA, MKD, MMK, MNT, MOP, MRU, MUR, MVR, MWK, MXN, MYR, MZN, NAD, NGN, NIO, NOK, NPR, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, SOS, SRD, THB, TMT, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TWD, TZS, UAH, UGX, USD, UYU, UZS, VND, VUV, WST, XAF, XCD, XOF, ZAR, ZMW, SLE
Remitly is a solid option if you need to send money to one of the 100 countries it operates in and you can choose express delivery if your transfer is urgent. Your recipient also doesn’t need to have a bank account as cash pickups, mobile wallets and home delivery are available in some countries alongside bank transfers. Another big plus to Remitly is its delivery promise – if your transfer doesn’t arrive on time, your fees will be returned.
But there are low maximum limits to how much you can send and there aren’t any forex tools to help your money go further. Remitly’s exchange rates are also inconsistent with the markup varying depending on the country and the delivery speed.
Good for offering competitive exchange rates and a great promotional offer for first-time users.
Look elsewhere if you need to send more than $60,000 or want to pay in cash.
|Pay By||Credit card, Debit card, Bank transfer|
|Receiving Options||Cash pickup location, Bank account, Mobile wallet, Home delivery|
|Customer Service||Phone, Live chat|
|Available Currencies||ALL, AMD, ARS, AUD, AZN, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BIF, BMD, BND, BOB, BRL, BSD, BTN, BWP, BYN, BZD, CDF, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, CVE, CZK, DJF, DKK, DOP, DZD, EGP, ERN, ETB, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GHS, GIP, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HKD, HNL, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, ISK, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KGS, KHR, KMF, KRW, KWD, KYD, KZT, LAK, LBP, LKR, LRD, LSL, MAD, MDL, MGA, MKD, MMK, MNT, MOP, MRU, MUR, MVR, MWK, MXN, MYR, MZN, NAD, NGN, NIO, NOK, NPR, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, SOS, SRD, THB, TMT, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TWD, TZS, UAH, UGX, USD, UYU, UZS, VND, VUV, WST, XAF, XCD, XOF, ZAR, ZMW, SLE|
What is Remitly?
Remitly money transfer services focus on offering quick and easy ways of sending money abroad. It allows people in Canada, the US, Europe, Australia and the UK to send money to 100+ countries. If your country is supported, Remitly is worth checking out.
It has a 2-speed system which gives you the choice between speed and fees—depending on your transfer needs. But keep in mind, it only supports money transfers from 17 sending countries.
Pros and cons of Remitly
- Large network. Remitly is an online international money transfer service that allows people in Canada, the US, Europe, Australia and the UK to send money to 100+ countries worldwide, with cash pickup possible at certain locations.
- Delivery promise. Remitly guarantees that your money will be delivered by a specified time or your fees are refunded.
- Speed. Express options make it possible to make your money arrive faster, typically within minutes if you pay by credit card.
- Diverse delivery options. Send money to bank accounts, for cash pickup, directly to a mobile wallet or even for home delivery in selected markets.
- Rewards. Remitly’s referral program makes it possible to earn rewards by referring friends and family members.
- Low maximum limits. Limits of $999 per day and $2,999 per 7-day period are automatically placed on all new accounts. You’ll need to provide ID to increase daily, monthly and 180-day sending limits.
- No hedging options. Remitly doesn’t have recurring transfers, limit orders or any other hedging tools to help you save money by planning your money transfer in advance.
- Inconsistent exchange rate margins. Different countries are charged different exchange rate margins, and the speed of your transfer also factors into the exchange rate you’ll be offered.
Remitly international money transfer fees
When we checked, we found Remitly’s fees tended to start around $1.99-$7.99 for transfers under $1,000. Ultimately, the fee and exchange rate you’re offered will vary based on sending destination but can also depend on the following:
- Amount. The amount you send may change the fee you are charged.
- Destination. Sending money to popular destinations is often cheaper than sending it to more remote locations.
- Payment. Paying with a bank account is usually cheapest.
- Speed. Remitly offers 2 transfer speeds: Express and Economy.
Example: Sending a Remitly international money transfer to India
Remitly’s fees can vary based on the sending and receiving country. For example, here are the fees charged by Remitly while sending from Canada to India when we checked on March 15, 2022.
Economy: $1.99 when sending less that $500 (no transfer fee over $500)
- Paid for with a bank account deposit
- Arrives in 3-5 business days
Express: $1.99 when sending less than $500 (no transfer fee over $500)
- Paid for with a debit card
- Arrives almost immediately
Remitly exchange rates
Remitly updates its exchange rates daily to align with exchange rates on global markets, loving in the exchange rate you see at the beginning of your transactions.
For some countries, you’ll find weaker exchange rates than those of competitors. It’s best to compare the displayed rate on Remitly with the current interbank rate to calculate the size of the margin charged. You can then use this as a benchmark for comparing the rates of other money transfer providers.
Calculate how much your transfer with Remitly could cost
How to send and receive money with Remitly
Remitly offers a wide range of delivery options that are dependent on your sending destination. Delivery methods include:
- Bank deposit. Funds will be sent directly to your recipient’s bank account.
- Cash pickup. You can opt for the funds to be delivered to a cash pickup location. Just be sure that your recipient brings ID that matches the name on the transfer. For example, in Mexico cash pickup could be done at various partner locations, such as Oxxo, Farmacia Guadalajara, Elektra, and Mega Soriana, making it easily accessible for recipients across the country.
- Mobile money. There is also the option to have funds delivered to a mobile wallet, such as GCash and PayMaya in the Philippines, Alipay in China, HellowCash in Ethiopia and other similar options.
What are Remitly’s payment options?
Remitly money transfers are on-offs, meaning you can’t set up recurring transfers. You can pay using the following methods:
- Debit, credit or prepaid card. If you choose this option, funds can be available in minutes. However, you may find you are charged a 3% fee by your credit card provider if you choose to use your credit card to pay for your transfer. You can also use Interac if your card is co-branded with the Mastercard or Visa logo, has an expiration date and has a CVV or CVC number.
- Bank account. Transfers funded by bank account typically take 3-5 business days, but there can be delay if you send on, or just before, bank holidays.
Remitly international money transfer: Step-by-step
You can send money quickly from your computer or the Remitly app by completing the following steps.
How long does it take to transfer money with Remitly?
Transfer speeds will depend on the amount of fees you are comfortable paying and how quickly you need it to arrive.
- Express – as little as a few minutes.
If you pay for your transfer with a credit or debit card and select the Express option, your transfer could arrive in as little as a few minutes. However, you will pay a higher fee and your credit card provider could also charge you a cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer.
- Economy – between 3 and 5 business days.
Remitly’s Economy option is the cheaper of the two options. Transfers through Economy will be lower, but you’ll almost always get a better exchange rate and fewer fees than with Express.
Transfers typically take
Minutes up to 5 business days
How much money can I send with Remitly?
Remitly’s transfer limits are based on the tier you’re approved for, although additional limits may apply depending on your destination country. To progress through Remitly’s tiers to higher maximums, you will need to provide more personal information and ID:
- Tier 1. Send up to $999 daily, $2,999 every 7 days, $10,000 every 30 days and $18,000 every 180 days.
- Tier 2. Send up to $6,000 daily, $20,000 every 30 days and $36,000 every 180 days (no weekly limit stated on website).
- Tier 3. Send up to $9,999 daily, $30,000 every 30 days and $60,000 every 180 days (no weekly limit stated on website).
- Custom tier. You can speak with a representative to discuss custom sending limits, depending on your needs.
Please see the table below for what additional information is required to be approved for the higher tiers:
|Information needed||Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3|
|Date of birth||X||X||X|
|Reasons for sending money||X||X||X|
|Source of funds||X||X|
|Proof of how you’re funding the transfer (i.e. bank statement, paystub)||X||X|
|Additional information on source of funds||X|
|Additional information on your use of Remitly||X|
How do I track a Remitly international money transfer?
To track your Remitly transfer, you’ll need to log into your account or contact customer service by phone.
- Online: To track your Remitly transfer online, log in to your account and look for the Transfer history section on the page. From here, you can check the status of past and current transfers.
- By phone, email or chat: To track by phone, email or chat you need to provide the customer service representative with details of your transfer, including the sending amount, the destination country and your personal information.
How does Remitly compare to other money transfer services?
Is Remitly safe?
Remitly safeguards your money in a variety of ways, including:
- Registering with regulatory agencies in Canada, the US, the UK and Ireland.
- Protecting all transactions with 256-bit SSL encryption.
- Monitoring accounts for suspicious activity manually and automatically.
- Verifying new accounts to protect users from fraud.
- Offering a 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee if your transfer arrives late.
Is there a Remitly app?
Yes, Remitly has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to do the following:
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Check Remitly exchange rates on the go. Current exchange rates and fees can be found in the app.
- Share order details with your contacts. Sending key order information to your recipient can be done with just a few taps.
|Reviews accurate as of March 15, 2022|
|Google Play Store||4.8 out of 5, based on 355,307 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||4.9 out of 5, 204,445 customer reviews|
Our experience with signing up
Signing up with Remitly was straightforward and took less than 5 minutes total. I had all of my information on hand and ready to go before signing up, including a photo of the front and back of my driver’s license. Here are some key takeaways:
- Did I have to interact with customer service? No, everything was done through the website automatically.
- How long did it take? The entire process took less than 5 minutes. It helped that I already had photos of the front and back of my driver’s license saved on my computer.
- What was unexpected? The rates offered to new customers are different than the standard rates offered by Remitly, so chances are your first transfer will be cheaper than future transfers.
How do I contact Remitly?
You can get in touch with Remitly the following ways:
- Phone (available 24/7 in English and Spanish)
- Chat (available 24/7 in English, Spanish and French)
You can also find lots of helpful articles and answers to frequently asked questions on Remitly’s website.
Remitly first time offer
Every new customer gets a special offer on their first transfer with Remitly. This is typically a stronger exchange rate and lower fees for a portion of your first transfer. Even if you aren’t considering using Remitly consistently over time, you could potentially save yourself some money by taking advantage of its new customer promotion to make a one-off transfer.
Remitly review: bottom line
With express and economy options and a convenient range of sending and receiving methods, Remitly money transfer services are worth considering the next time you want to send money abroad.
- Great promo for new customers
- Send money to bank accounts, for cash pickup, to mobile wallets or even for home delivery (in selected markets)
- Express transfers usually arrive in minutes
Make sure you compare your options before sending money abroad to make sure you get the most competitive fees and exchange rates for the type of money transfer you want to send.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked