RBC international money transfers review
Pay a flat fee to send money overseas with bank-to-bank transfer and cash pick-up options.
- Great if you’re already an RBC customer and you want to pay a flat fee for international transfers.
- Not so great if you need to send over $2,500 per day or you want your transfer to process instantly.
Why should I consider RBC for my money transfer?
- Stable fee structure. You’ll pay a flat fee to transfer money which won’t vary based on the amount you send.
- Cash pick-up may be available. You can send a transfer for cash pick-up at your recipient’s bank branch if it has an institutional relationship with RBC.
- Easy mobile transfers. You can use RBC’s mobile app to send both RBC bank-to-bank or cash pick-up transfers.
- High transfer amounts. You can transfer up to $2,500 per day – or up to $10,000 if you’ve received special permission from RBC.
What to be aware of
- Poor exchange rates. RBC adds a larger margin to the exchange rate than specialist money transfer services.
- Limited to account holders. You can only transfer money with RBC if you sign up for a bank account.
- Long processing times. It takes between 2 and 5 days for RBC money transfers to process and there is no same-day cash pick-up option.
How can I send money with RBC?
You can send money directly to your recipient using an RBC online money transfer or a wire transfer.
- RBC money transfer. RBC money transfers let you send money to your recipient’s bank or for cash pick-up at one of thousands of overseas bank branches. Transfers are sent using RBC’s mobile or online banking app, and take between 2 and 5 business days to process.
- Wire transfers. Wire transfers are bank-to-bank transfers that must be sent from an RBC branch. You can send an unlimited amount of money with an RBC wire transfer but you’ll pay a higher fee to compensate.
RBC exchange rates and fees
RBC charges different fees based on how you send money.
|RBC money transfer|
(Only available for international transfers. Clients can use Interac e-Transfers to send funds within Canada.)
There will also be a margin of around 2-5% added to the exchange rate so you should factor in the extra expense before sending your transfer.
How long will my RBC money transfer take?
RBC money transfers take between 2 and 5 business days to process. This is the case for both bank-to-bank and cash pick-up transfers.
Tips for avoiding transfer delays:
- Transfer money at set times. Try to send money in the mornings or on weekdays to avoid delays with your transfer.
- Send smaller amounts. Split larger amounts into multiple small transactions to make sure your transfer doesn’t get held up in transit.
- Transfer between popular currencies. Send mainstream currencies instead of exotic currencies wherever possible to speed up your transfer time.
Transfers typically take
2-5 business days
What payment methods does RBC accept?
You can only pay for RBC money transfers using your bank account. It’s not possible to pay for your transfer in cash unless you go into an RBC branch and deposit money.
How much money can I send?
|Transfer type||Amount you can send|
|RBC money transfer||Up to $2,500 per day or up to $10,000 with special permission from RBC.|
|RBC wire transfer||No specified maximum|
You can access the following popular currencies plus many more with RBC money transfers:
- USD US Dollar
- GBP British pound
- AUD Australian dollar
- EUR Euro
- JPY Japanese yen
- CNY Chinese yuan
- PHP Philippine peso
- INR Indian rupee
- MXN Mexican peso
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- LBP Lebanese pound
Is RBC safe to use?
RBC has industry standard security measures in place. It is one of the “Big 5” banks in Canada alongside TD Canada Trust, CIBC, BMO and Scotiabank. Customers can register for 2-factor authentication, which requires them to pass 2 levels of authentication before accessing their bank accounts.
It also encrypts customers’ personal and financial information, and offers its RBC Digital Banking Security Guarantee to reimburse any fraudulent or unauthorized transactions made using RBC mobile or online banking.
- Security and regulation. Government-regulated, enables 2-factor authentication and other industry-standard security measures.
- Established. 1864.
- Number of customers. 17+ million
*According to RBC on 06 April 2021
Where is RBC regulated?
RBC is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) as well as the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
How to send your first RBC money transfer
You need to have a bank account with RBC in order to transfer money overseas.
- RBC money transfer. You can send an RBC money transfer using your mobile or online banking. You’ll just need to specify whether you want to send a bank-to-bank transfer or a cash transfer for your recipient to pick up at a bank in their own country.
- Wire transfer. You can send a wire transfer in-person at an RBC branch location. You’ll need to supply the same information as you would for an RBC money transfer.
How to become an RBC client
You’ll need to have an RBC chequing or savings account to send money with RBC. You can sign up for an account by following these steps:
Fill out an application by providing personal details such as your full name, address, phone number and SIN (Social Insurance Number).
- Verify your identity and show proof that you’re a Canadian resident who is the age of majority in your province.
- Register for an account either online or by visiting a branch.
- Fill out an application by providing personal details such as your full name, address, phone number and SIN (Social Insurance Number).
- Authorize the bank to use this information to check your credit score.
- Register for RBC’s mobile app or visit a branch in person to send a money transfer.
Does RBC have a mobile app for money transfers?
The RBC app can also be used for a range of everyday banking needs such as bill payments, transfers between accounts, Interac e-Transfers, viewing your RBC account balances, mobile cheques deposit, Auto-Pay and more.
To use the RBC mobile app, you need to open an RBC account.
These ratings are accurate as of 06 April 2021.
|Google Play Store||3.8 out of 5, based on 32,383 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5, based on 204,855 customer ratings|
How does RBC compare to other money transfer services?
RBC lets you send bank-to-bank and cash pick-up transfers for a flat fee. You’ll need to have an RBC account to send money and transfers typically process in 2 to 5 business days. Find out more about RBC money transfers and learn how this service stacks up against the competition by comparing money transfer providers.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Business bank accounts for non-Canadian residents
Foreign businesses can manage Canadian funds with a multicurrency spending account offered by an international transfer service.
How to transfer large sums of money
Wondering how to send large sums of money overseas? Compare bank transfers, money transfer services, bitcoin and more.
Simplii Global Money Transfer review
Enjoy zero transfer fees and a special signup offer when you send a Simplii Global Money Transfer.
Sites like Remitly
Browse money transfer services like Remitly to see if you can send send money overseas faster and cheaper.
RemitBee international money transfers and FX review
Thinking of using Remitbee? See how it stacks up against the competition in our review of its fees, exchange rate, sign up process and safety.
Best international money transfer apps
We compare the best international money transfer services available in Canada to help you find the best money transfer app for your needs.
How much money can I send to India from Canada?
Find out about tax on sending money from Canada to India, maximum transfer limits and more.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into Canada
The CRA won’t hit you with taxes for receiving funds from overseas—as long as it’s a gift.
How much are wire transfer fees in Canada?
Expect a wire transfer fee of $15-$50 or more for bank wire transfers—but you could pay less with an online money transfer service.
Pay overseas bills with an international money transfer
Find an affordable and easy way to manage your overseas bill payments with international money transfers.