RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card review
Earn Asia Miles and take advantage of a generous welcome bonus when you sign up for this premium travel card.
The RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum Travel Rewards Card lets you earn Asia Miles for every purchase you make. It also comes with a generous welcome bonus, exclusive benefits such as a 12-month DoorDash subscription, fuel savings, membership in Cathay Pacific’s Marco Polo Club and comprehensive travel insurance.
Up to 2 miles per $1 spent
- Consider this card if you collect Asia Miles and you want to get exclusive travel perks and benefits.
- Choose something else if you want low interest or you’d rather not pay an annual fee.
- There’s no minimum annual income listed to qualify for this card.
The RBC Cathay Pacific Visa comes with the following benefits:
- Earn Asia Miles. Earn 1 Asia Mile for every dollar you spend in Canada and 1.25 Miles for every dollar spent overseas.
- 2x the Miles. Collect 2 Asia Miles for every dollar you spend at Cathay Pacific online.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 40,000 Miles when you sign up and meet certain conditions.
- Exclusive membership. Receive a free 1-year Green Tier membership to Cathay Pacific’s Marco Polo Club (worth US$100).
- Purchase assurance. Rest easy with purchase protection and extended warranty coverage on eligible products you buy with your card.
- Travel insurance. Take advantage of travel medical, flight delay insurance, hotel/motel burglary insurance and rental car insurance.
|Type of benefit||How it works|
|Travel medical insurance||Access medical insurance for the first 31 days of your trip (or 7 days if you’re over 65).|
|Travel accident insurance||Get up to $500,000 if you sustain a serious injury or die when travelling with a common carrier.|
|Flight delay insurance||Claim up to $250 per day per person for 4+ hour flight delays, or $500 for all covered travellers.|
|Baggage loss/delay insurance||Take advantage of up to $500 per person for baggage claims, or $2,500 for all covered travellers.|
|Hotel burglary insurance||Claim up to $2,500 in losses if your hotel is burglarized and you lose possessions.|
|Car rental insurance||Cover yourself against damage when you rent a car in Canada with additional car rental insurance.|
- Fuel discounts. Save 3 cents per litre on fuel and get 20% more Petro-Points when you spend money at Petro Canada.
- Earn Rexall Points. Earn 50 Be Well points for every $1 you spend on eligible Rexall products with your card.
- Free DoorDash membership. Get a free 12-month DashPass subscription and enjoy unlimited free deliveries on orders of $12 or more with DoorDash.
- Travel deals. Get up to 10% off your booking when you redeem your Asia Miles for hotel stays, car rentals and experiences with Cathay Pacific.
- Add-on insurance. Pay extra to get additional coverage for travel insurance, RBC road assist, balance protector insurance and identity theft protection.
- Security features. Rest easy with special security features such as instant alerts, 24/7 fraud monitoring and online card-locking services.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. It costs $120 per year to keep your account active.
- High interest. Interest rates are 20.5% for outstanding balances and 22.99% for cash advances and balance transfers (which is higher than the average card).
- No cashback. You won’t be able to exchange your Asia Miles for cash in hand.
- Fee for additional cards. You’ll have to pay a $50 annual fee for every additional card you add to your account.
- Limited airlines. You can only use your Asia Miles for flights with Cathay Pacific.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is the age of majority in your province.
Required documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Click “Go to site” on this page to be directed to the RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
- This card comes with a generous welcome bonus, travel insurance and perks such as a free 12-month DoorDash pass, Marco Polo Club membership and fuel discounts.
- Choose this card if you fly regularly with Cathay Pacific and you want to earn a decent return on Asia Miles.
- Choose a different card if you’d rather earn cashback or you don’t want to pay an annual fee.