Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Primus Internet review
Pay zero activation fees and get high-speed Internet when you sign up with this Canada-wide telecom company.
Primus is a well-known Internet provider that offers residential and commercial Internet plans to customers across Canada. The cost of your plan will vary depending on what speed of Internet you want as well as where in Canada you’re located.
All of Primus‘s plans are relatively affordable and come with added benefits such as free activation, unlimited Internet and 24/7 technical support. Keep reading to find out more about how you can qualify for Primus Internet and learn which plan might be the best fit for your needs.
- Speed. Ranges from 6Mbps to 300Mbps (depending on where you’re located).
- Starting price. This depends on the province. For example, prices start from $35.95 per month in BC and $39.95 in Ontario.
- Minimum contract. You’ll be able to sign up to a month-to-month plan or a 2-year plan if you want to save money.
- Offers. You won’t have to pay activation fees and you can save money when you bundle your Internet with your digital phone services.
What is Primus?
Primus is a well-known Internet provider that offers convenient and reasonably-priced Internet plans across Canada. To find the right plan for you, you’ll just need to input your address into Primus‘s website. This will pull up any available plan options and associated prices in your area.
Primus may be a good fit for you if you’re looking to pair your medium-speed Internet with a reputable digital phone (VoIP) plan to save money. You can also sign up for Primus commercial Internet if you want a tailored solution designed to fit the needs of your business.
What plans does Primus offer?
Primus offers different speeds of Internet based on where you’re located. The table below showcases the plans that are available in BC and Ontario to demonstrate how prices and speeds may vary based on where you live.
Price per month (Ontario)
Price per month (BC)
Basic speed for casual surfing and email, with limited streaming capabilities
Reasonable speed to surf, stream and stay connected
Medium speed for sharing, streaming and working from multiple devices
Fast speed suitable for households of 3-4 people with limited Internet needs
Fast speed suitable for large households with many users and devices
Very fast speed great for downloading, HD streaming and online gaming
Lightning fast speed for instant downloads and uninterrupted streaming
One of the fastest download and upload speeds for streaming, gaming, sharing files and more
Does Primus allow bundling?
You will be able to bundle your Internet plan with your digital home phone service. You can either request a new phone number or go with your existing number. For example, a 150Mbps Internet plan (in BC) will cost you $74.95 on its own, but it will cost you only $80.95 if you bundle in your digital home phone service. You’ll also save money if you bundle your services on a 2-year contract instead of a month-to-month plan.
What other features should I know about?
You’ll be able to take advantage of a number of features when you sign up for Primus Internet.
- Free activation. You won’t have to pay any activation fees to get your service up and running.
- Bundling services. You’ll be able to bundle your Internet with your digital phone service to get a discount on both.
- Unlimited data. You’ll get unlimited data on Primus‘s Internet plans for no additional fee each month.
- Month-to-month plans. You can sign up for a monthly plan if you don’t want to be locked into a contract.
- 24/7 customer support. You’ll be able to call customer support at any time of day or night if you have any issues with your account.
- Business services. You can figure out a solution to suit the needs of your business, with specialized commercial Internet services.
What to watch out for
- Higher prices. You’ll pay higher prices with Primus than you would with many other budget service providers.
- Undisclosed fees. You’ll likely have to pay modem or installation fees to set up your service, though the prices for this don’t seem to be listed on the site.
- Variable plan availability. You might find it difficult to lock in the plan you’re interested in if you live in a remote or underserviced location.
- Limited extras. This provider doesn’t offer many additional benefits like Internet security or wall-to-wall Wi-Fi coverage.
How do I sign up with Primus?
- Visit Primus‘s website and fill in your address to find out which plans are offered in your area.
- Sign up for the plan of your choice online or call in to customer service to get more details about what’s available.
- Register for an account with Primus‘s online portal to manage your bills and Internet use.
Primus offers a number of different residential and business plans to customers across Canada. Plan availability and pricing will vary depending on which province you’re located in. Plans run as low as $35.95 per month, though you may get lower or higher prices depending on your province.