Up to 60% off worldwide hotels
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
8 places like Bora Bora to dip your feet into
Try these destinations for the Bora Bora experience without the pricetag.
With a luxe escape to Bora Bora potentially costing you over $10,000 for accommodation per night alone (have you seen the Four Seasons Resort?! It’s what postcards were MADE for!) Bora Bora may be a little beyond your budget. This doesn’t mean you can’t live like royalty on a pristine beach while on holiday. There are plenty of other island paradises out there that are just as postcard-worthy for a fraction of the price. Here are our top picks of enviable and affordable places similar to Bora Bora but cheaper. We have added deals too that could help you save.
8 dreamy places like Bora Bora
Found surrounded by the clear, turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean off the coast of West Africa, the Seychelles is home to 115 islands. The little bits of paradise host soft-sand beaches, lush tropical forests and, of course, luxurious resorts.
- Top 5 beaches: Anse Sourse d’Argent, Beau Vallon, Anse La Farine, Anse Lazio, Anse Georgette
- Must do/see: Visit Anse Sourse d’Argent (of of the Seychelles most photographed beaches), snorkel or dive the surrounding reefs, explore the national parks (almost 50% of the country is national park)
- Stay: Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa. Every room at this seaside resort is a private villa, with the option to upgrade to ones with your very own pool. This 5-star resort also features a private beach.
One of the first destinations that comes to mind when you think of words like ‘paradise’ and ‘exotic’, this chain of more than 1,000 coral atolls is renowned for it’s perfect blue lagoons, colourful reefs and incredible overwater bungalows.
- Top 5 beaches: Reethi, Fulhadhoo, Bikini, Maafushi, Bandos
- Must do/see: Diving to see the unique sealife and shipwreks, unwind at an underwater spa, go island hopping.
- Stay: Paradise Island Resort. The name says it all, Paradise Island Resort offers 5-star accommodation on an atoll surrounded by white sands and clear blue water. There are plenty of room options, too, from affordable beach bungalows to ritzy water villas.
3. Cook Islands
With its similar French Polynesian heritage, turquoise waters and white beaches, you’ll be hard-pressed to find the difference between the Cook Islands and Bora Bora. Getting to paradise soon? #winning.
- Top 5 beaches: Muri, Nikao, Aroa, One Foot Island, Tikioki
- Must do/see: Aitutaki Lagoon, Polynesian cuisine, whale watching
- Stay: Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort is the Cook Islands’ answer to overwater bungalow bliss. This 5-star boutique offers views of the Aitutaki lagoon coupled with Polynesian room decor.
What’s not to love about Indonesia? From its enviable beaches and its relaxed vibe to its rich history and exotic appeal.
- Top 5 beaches: Nihiwatu, Canggu, Derawan, Peucang, Dreamland
- Must do/see: Temples, mosques and national parks
- Stay: At the Viceroy Bali. While not an overwater like many on this list, its heavenly and easily accessed from Denpasar airport.
While not the cheapest destination on this list, Panama is very much comparable to what you’ll expect from Bora Bora. That is, it sports islands for days, soft white sands and an exotic atmosphere.
- Top 5 islands/beaches: Cartí, Isla Tigre, Isla Grande, Playa Barqueta, Playa Las Lajas
- Must do/see: Casco Viejo old city, Panama Canal, Parque Nacional Soberania
- Stay: At the Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge where suites are joined to the dock by independent fingers.
Seeking an exotic island escape with pristine beaches that won’t blow the budget? Try Cambodia. Unlike its neighbour Thailand, it isn’t too overrun with tourists.
- Top 5 beaches: Main, Long Set, Lazy, Victory, Sokha
- Must do/see: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayan, Killing Fields
- Stay: Sokha Beach Resort. Five-star luxury by the beach in Sihanoukville, this resort offers accommodation right on one off the area’s best beaches.
When it comes to beach destinations, Malaysia is less likely to be the first name that flies off your tongue, but sitting so close to Indonesia it shares some of its idyllic landscape. Glam it up in Penang or save your pennies in Langkawi. For your next trip, naturally.
- Top 5 beaches/islands: Batu Ferringhi, Tanjung Bungah, Pom Pom Island, Penang Island, Tioman Island
- Must do/see: Temples, Petronas Towers, Batu caves, river life and elephant experiences
- Stay: At the AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort you get the choice of a beachfront villa or overwater bungalow. Your call, really.
Hailed as having some of the best islands in the world (Boracay, Cebu and Palawan to name a few), the Philippines has more than 7,000 islands waiting for you to explore, each with its own highlights from crystal clear waters and powder-soft beaches to historical monuments and cultural encounters.
- Top 5 islands: Borocay, Bohol, Panglao, Bantayan, Palawan
- Must do/see: Rice terraces, Chocolate Hills, Puerto Princesa subterranean river, volcanos and churches.
- Stay: Pangulasian Island Resort. The El Nido chain owns four resorts across four different islands, each offering that luxury beachside respite you’ve been searching for.
Searching for a deal? Here are some of the best:
More guides on Finder
How to get a $300 loan
Compare your $300 loan options to find a fast, affordable loan when you need it.
Prince Edward Island travel restrictions: Where you can go in January 2022
Important things to know before you travel to, or around, Prince Edward Island.
Best stocks in the US: Top picks for January 2022
Our algorithm selected 20 US stocks worth watching in 2022.
Nova Scotia travel restrictions: Where you can go in January 2022
Get in the know about Nova Scotia’s travel restrictions to plan your next getaway.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
Keep your browsing and system safe with Ivacy VPN January 2022 | Get 87% off
Ivacy VPN protects your data all over the world. Ivacy is fast, popular and works on a variety of platforms.
Ontario travel restrictions: Where you can go in January 2022
Find out how to get out and explore with our guide to Ontario travel restrictions.
Alberta travel restrictions: Where you can go in January 2022
Ready to get out and explore? Here’s our guide to Alberta’s travel restrictions.
Palm Beach Nutra discount codes and coupons January 2022 | Get 15% off instantly
Keep your skin looking and feeling fabulous and score a discount with one of these Palm Beach Nutra promo codes.
How to find the best community bank lender for your small business
Developing a long-term relationship with your local banker can be a great investment for your business.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.