A quick and convenient way to send money overseas.
Sending money overseas with PayPal is quick and simple, but their unfavourable exchange rates can make them an expensive option for large transfers.
|Product Name||PayPal International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||CAD 15|
|Max. Transfer Amount||CAD 60,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Bank Account to Bank Account|
Minimum transfer time
|3 - 5 days|
|Available Currencies||AUD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HUF, ILS, JPY, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, PHP, PLN, SEK, SGD, THB, TWD, USD|
Send money almost anywhere with flexible transfer options and an easy process
With low fees on small transfer amounts and fast transfer processing times, PayPal makes it possible to send over 20 currencies across more than 200 countries, allowing you to send money almost anywhere around the world.
How much does it cost to transfer money with PayPal?
How much it costs depends on how much money you send, where you send it and how you pay for the transfer.
|Payment method:||Country of recipient’s account:||$0.00-$49.99||$50.00-$99.99||$100.00+|
|PayPal balance or a bank account linked to your PayPal account.||Canada||Fee is waived||Fee is waived||Fee is waived|
|Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit.||Canada||2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)|
|PayPal balance or a bank account linked to your PayPal account.||United States and Europe||$0.99||$2.99||$2.99|
|Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit.||United States and Europe||$0.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||$2.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||$2.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount + fixed fee (see table below)|
|PayPal balance or a bank account linked to your PayPal account.||Any other country||$4.99||$4.99||$4.99|
|Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit.||Any other country||$4.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||$4.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)||$4.99 + 2.9% of the transaction amount plus fixed fee (see table below)|
Flat fees for sending in a different currency
|Australian Dollar:||0.30 AUD|
|Brazilian Real:||0.60 BRL|
|Canadian Dollar:||0.30 CAD|
|Czech Koruna:||10.00 CZK|
|Danish Krone:||2.60 DKK|
|Hong Kong Dollar:||90 HUF|
|Hungarian Forint:||2.35 HKD|
|Israeli Shekel:||1.20 ILS|
|Japanese Yen:||40 JPY|
|Malaysian Ringgit:||2.00 MYR|
|Mexican Peso:||4.00 MXN|
|New Zealand Dollar:||0.45 NZD|
|Norwegian Krone:||2.80 NOK|
|Philippine Peso:||15.00 PHP|
|Polish Zloty:||1.35 PLN|
|Russian Ruble:||10 RUB|
|Singapore Dollar:||0.50 SGD|
|Swedish Krona:||3.25 SEK|
|Swiss Franc:||0.55 CHF|
|Taiwan New Dollar:||10.00 TWD|
|Thai Baht:||11.00 THB|
|U.K. Pounds Sterling:||0.20 GBP|
|U.S. Dollar:||0.30 USD|
PayPal’s exchange rates are calculated by a financial institution and updated multiple times a day to reflect fluctuating market conditions. PayPal’s bank adds 2.5% to a wholesale rate price to calculate the service’s retail foreign exchange rate. If you compare the rates offered by PayPal, you’ll see that they can be competitive against the rates offered by banks and other foreign exchange providers.
Below is a comparison of exchange rates from four providers: TD Bank, Western Union, TransferWise and PayPal.
|$1 CAD in||Canadian Bank (TD)|
Rates last checked 15 June 2018
To view PayPal’s current exchange rates, log in to your account. On your profile summary page, click Details next to PayPal balance, then click Manage currencies. From this page you can enter the relevant information and click Calculate to see the resulting exchange rate before initiating your money transfer.
What types of transfers can you carry out with PayPal?
PayPal doesn’t offer the flexibility of rate locks or forward contracts, but you can schedule recurring transfers using its Balance Manager. Keep in mind that doing so will incur a fee.
There’s no cash pickup option available for your recipient, with all transfers handled electronically.
Pros and cons of using PayPal
- Easy. Sending money overseas with PayPal is fast, easy and intuitive.
- Fast. PayPal international money transfers are faster than many other international money transfer options.
- Secure. PayPal offers 24/7 transaction monitoring, next-level encryption and dispute resolution options. Its “deep learning” artificial intelligence technology makes it extremely resistant to fraud.
- Customer service. There are several customer service options available if you need help with a transaction.
- Good for small transfers. PayPal’s fees are a percentage of your transaction amount, making it a cost-effective solution when you need to transfer smaller amounts.
- Worldwide network. PayPal is available in more than 200 countries around the world, allowing you access to a wealth of possible transfer destinations.
- Not ideal for larger transfers. With fees that are based on a percentage of your transfer amount, PayPal might not be your best option when transferring large amounts.
- Fees. PayPal’s fee structure can add a lot to the total cost of your transfer. Its fees are calculated based on the amount of money you are sending. If you send a large amount, expect to pay a lot in fees. Fees also vary based on where your money is going. Finally, your fee will be higher if you use a credit or debit card to fund the transaction, rather than your PayPal account or linked bank account.
- Exchange rates. If you’ll be exchanging your currency to make your PayPal international money transfer, you might find that its exchange rates are not as favorable as its competitors. PayPal’s currency exchange rates start at 2.5%.
How does PayPal compare to other services?
Our table below shows you the fees and exchange rates you can expect from other money transfer specialists. Compare PayPal to the other providers below to see if it’s the best option for you.
How do I sign up for an account?
It’s quick and easy to send money overseas with PayPal. If you don’t already have a PayPal account, you’ll need to sign up for one before you can transfer money internationally. Accounts are free to open and you can apply online; you’ll just need to provide the following details:
- Your name and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
- Your residential address
- The details of your linked bank account or credit card
How do I send an international transfer with PayPal?
Once you’ve signed up, you can use your PayPal account to purchase a range of goods and services online; you can also start transferring money overseas. From start to finish, the whole PayPal international money transfer process takes just a few minutes.
- Log in to your account and click on the Send Money tab.
- Enter your recipient’s phone number or email address, the amount you want to send and a description of the transfer.
- PayPal will give you a total cost for the transaction, including transfer fees and currency exchange rate, when applicable.
- Review this information and click Send Money if you are ready to transfer your funds.
You can use PayPal to transfer money internationally from:
- Your PayPal account balance
- Your linked bank account
- Your linked credit or debit card
The funds will be available in your recipient’s PayPal account almost immediately. They can then keep the money in their PayPal account or transfer it to a linked bank account. Transferring it to a bank account can take several days.
You can also use Xoom, a PayPal service, to make an international money transfer without signing up for a PayPal account.
How do I withdraw funds from a PayPal account?
There are three different ways to withdraw money from your PayPal account:
- Receive a cheque. Log into your PayPal account and select Transfer to Your Bank under your balance. Then, click “Request a Cheque By Mail Instead”. If you’re a Canadian customer, you should receive the check in one to six weeks.
- Transfer to your bank account. Log into your PayPal account and choose how much money you’d like to transfer to your bank account. Then, select which bank account you’d like to transfer the funds to. The minimum amount you can transfer is $1, there are no fees involved and it usually takes one business day for the transaction to go through.
- Use an eligible Visa or MasterCard debit or prepaid card. If you’re looking to get your funds fast, then using an eligible card to transfer funds to your bank account is the way to go. This usually takes 30 minutes or less, but it does cost $0.25 per transfer. If you have a PayPal Debit MasterCard, you can withdraw up to $400 per day from any ATM by selecting Chequing Account when you withdraw the money. You can also use your PayPal Debit MasterCard to make purchases using your PayPal account anywhere MasterCards are accepted.
If you’re looking for an easy solution to your international money transfer needs, compare PayPal’s features, benefits and fees with those of other money transfer providers to find the safest and most cost-effective transfer method available.