Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Payday loans in Calgary
Find out how to get online payday loans in Calgary.
Calgarians needing quick access to cash to tide them over between paycheques might consider applying for an online payday loan. While payday loans are quick and easy to apply for, these high-interest loans are the most expensive form of short-term financing and can throw borrowers into a cycle of debt. Keep reading to more about getting a payday loan in Calgary and some alternatives to consider.
⚠️ Warning: Be cautious with payday loansPayday loans are expensive. If you're experiencing financial hardship call Credit Counselling Canada for free financial counselling (Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm at +1 866-398-5999). Consider alternatives instead of a payday loan:
- Local resources. Government programs and nonprofits offer free financial services and help with food, utilities and rent.
- Debt relief companies. There are services to help you reduce your debt payments.
- Payment extensions. Talk with bill providers about longer payment plans or due-date extensions.
- Side jobs. Sell unwanted items online, sign up for food delivery and more.
Popular payday loans in Calgary
|Calgary lender||Can you apply online?||Loan turnaround time|
|GoDay||As little as 2 minutes with INTERAC e-Transfer||Go to site|
As little as 2 minutes with INTERAC e-Transfer
|Go to site|
As little as 1 hour after getting approved
|Go to site|
|Loan Express||Within minutes via Interac e-Transfer||Read lender review|
|Mr. Payday||30 minutes to get approved during business hours, and another 30 minutes to get an e-mail transfer once approved||Read lender review|
|Focus Cash Loans||Approval within 30 mins. during business hours, e-transfer within 30 mins. after approval||Read lender review|
|310-LOAN||30 minutes once approved||Read lender review|
How can I apply for payday loans in Calgary?
If you’re interested in applying for a payday loan in Calgary, you’ll need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Provide proof of 3 months of continuous employment
- Give proof of address (e.g., they can ask to see a utility bill)
- Have an active chequing account
To complete your application successfully, prepare to submit some basic information:
- Personal details, such as your name, date of birth, Social Insurance Number and a valid form of ID
- Contact details, such as your residential address, email address and phone number
- Details about your employment and income
Pros and cons of getting payday loans in Calgary
- The opportunity of flexible repayments. Flexible repayment options let you line up your repayments with your paycheques. By making extra repayments, you can repay the loan ahead of time.
- Online presence simplifies the process. If a lender is online, the entire process can be streamlined. You will usually be given multiple options during the application process to submit documents, information and track your application’s progress.
- Bad credit is OK. People living in Calgary with bad credit credit scores can still qualify for a payday loan. Some lenders even offer no credit check payday loans. There are many $1,500 loan options available for Calgarians with bad credit – compare your options in the table above.
- Higher fees. Payday loans attract higher fees due to the risk the lenders are taking on. It’s important to consider whether you can afford the loan before you apply.
- Short loan terms and repayment schedules. Most cash advance and payday loans require that you repay the entire amount in a few weeks or months, resulting in high repayments.
- Predatory lenders. Some lenders prey on people who urgently need cash, so it’s important to do your research and apply for a loan with a reputable lender.
Are payday loans in Calgary regulated?
Yes, payday loans are legal in Calgary. Each province has its own regulations surrounding payday loans, and in Calgary, the Payday Loans Regulation and the Act to End Predatory Lending help protect those who take out payday loans.
Here are the regulations surrounding payday loans in Calgary (and the rest of Alberta):
- Maximum loan amount: $1,500
- Minimum loan term: 42 days
- Maximum loan term: 62 days
- Maximum interest: $15 for every $100 that you borrow
- A lender can charge additional fees if the payday loan isn’t paid on time.
- Limit the number of payday loans issued. You can only take out one payday loan at a time from one lender.
- Lenders cannot automatically take your wages. Lenders cannot ask you to sign a form that transfers your wages directly to them.
- Roll-over loans are not allowed. This means you can’t roll over what you owe into a second payday loan.
- Cooling-off period. Should you change your mind and want to cancel your payday loan, you have two days to do so without facing a penalty. You also don’t have to provide a reason for cancelling.
Payday loans in Calgary with no credit check
Calgarians can still get payday loans even with bad credit. Most payday loan lenders in Calgary won’t even do a credit check when issuing a payday loan. Instead, they’ll be more interested in you having:
- An active chequing account
- A permanent address (and proof of it)
- At least 3 months of continuous employment (and proof of it)
This lenient criteria can be easy to meet – with the added bonus of not having to prove you’re a responsible borrower. However, some lenders who don’t do credit checks are more likely to be predatory and illegitimate. This is why it’s important to do your research and use a reputable lender – whether they do a credit check or not.
How can I tell if a payday loan lender in Calgary is legit?
Look for the following signs to make sure you’re working with a legitimate payday loan lender in Calgary.
- The lender displays an Alberta licence number. You can check with the Service Alberta Consumer Contact Centre by searching their online database to make sure that your lender is licensed. The lender should also display their licence number online and in physical locations.
- It doesn’t allow roll-overs or multiple loans. Alberta payday loan regulations don’t allow lenders to give out multiple loans at one time or allow borrowers to use one loan to pay off another.
- It provides straightforward contracts. Avoid lenders that don’t take the time to walk you through the contract or try to hide additional fees and charges or other pertinent information in the fine print of your contract. Your lender must also provide you the contract in the language that you communicate in.
- It follows rate and fee regulations. Stay away from lenders who charge more than $15 in fees per $100 borrowed.
Watch out for unlicensed lenders
You may see some of these red flags with unlicensed lenders:
- Illegally high interest rates or fees. If a payday loan lender in Calgary is unlicensed you may end up paying more than $15 in fees per $100 borrowed, or face hidden charges and fees.
- Identity theft. Unlicensed lenders sometimes sell customers information to third parties, which could lead to identity theft or a hacked bank account.
- Funds taken from your bank account without your permission. Unlicensed lenders have been known to illegally withdraw money from customer’s bank accounts if they’re unable to make repayments.
Because unlicensed lenders can operate outside of Alberta – or even outside of Canada – it’s much more difficult to file a complaint with Service Alberta against them. That’s why it’s so important to make sure your lender is licensed to operate in Alberta before you offer your personal information or apply for the loan.
How to file a complaint against a payday loan lender in Calgary
The Consumer Investigations Unit (CIU) at Service Alberta investigates complaints about consumer transactions where a payday loan business has breached Alberta’s consumer protection laws. You can contact the Service Alberta Consumer Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-427-4088 to discuss your options for filing a complaint about a lender in Calgary.
If Service Alberta finds that your lender violated provincial law, it could take legal action against the business. This includes revoking its license, slapping it with a penalty and even filing a civil action to get a settlement for customers if the lender is facing numerous complaints.
Compare payday loans in Calgary
Payday loan alternatives in Calgary
Payday loans can be expensive, and can easily lead you into a cycle of debt. Before taking out a payday loan, consider alternative financing options like the ones below.
Payday loan vs. a credit card cash advance
Because of its high fee, a credit card cash advance isn’t the cheapest payday loan alternative. But it’s generally cheaper than getting a payday loan in Calgary. The other advantage to using a credit card cash advance is that you’ll have more time to pay it off than a payday loan. The table below shows the fees you will pay for a payday loan versus a credit card.
|Loan Amount (over 2 weeks)||Payday loan fee||Credit card fee (23%)|
Alberta assistance programs
According to Equifax, Alberta had the highest average consumer debt of all Canadian provinces by the end of the third quarter of 2021, with Calgary having the highest average debt per person of any major city in Canada. If you’re one of the many Calgarians struggling to make ends meet, there’s hope.
Alberta has several programs in place that can help lower the costs of everyday expenses for some residents and newcomers, including:
- Income support provides low-income individuals with financial assistance to cover expenses like food, clothing and rent.
- Alberta Affordable Housing provides subsidized rental housing to low-income families, seniors and individuals who cannot afford other housing options due to circumstance.
- Alberta ALIS may be able to provide you with money and help to find a job during temporary financial difficulties.
- Assured Income for Severely Handicapped (AISH) helps people with disabilities who are in financial need pay for living expenses, like food and housing.
Local financial institutions
Some credit unions and local banks in Calgary may offer lower cost short-term loans. You might also want ask about credit builder programs, which offer loans in small amounts that can help you build your credit score by reporting every on-time repayment you make to the credit bureaus. This can set you up for the future, where you will be eligible for more competitive interest rates and terms.
Credit counselling in Calgary
If you’re having consistent trouble managing your personal finances, you might want to also consider enrolling in a credit counselling program. These can help you make a budget and manage or consolidate your debts. Find out more about where to get free help to manage debt in our full guide here.
If you’re thinking of taking out a payday loan, familiarize yourself with the regulations in Alberta to make sure you’re applying for a payday loan with a legitimate lender. Be wary of unlicensed lenders and be sure to pay back your loan on time and in full to avoid paying interest or extra fees. Remember that there are better short-term financing alternatives than a payday loan, so compare your options before signing on the dotted line.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Read this PrestoCash review to help you decide whether you should apply.
Payday loans for low income
You can get a payday loan with a low income, but watch out for high interest rates.
Compare AISH payday loans
Some payday lenders accept AISH as a valid source of income. Find out where you can get approved for AISH payday loans.
Money Mart vs Cash Money
Compare the features of Money Mart vs Cash Money, two well-known alternative lenders in Canada.
Find payday loans in Hamilton
Browse your options for in-store or online payday loans in Hamilton.
Xcash Money Solutions review
Xcash Money Solutions provides different types of loans to Ontario residents, including payday loans, personal loans and car title loans.
Compare child tax loans in Alberta
You can take out an installment loan or payday loan in Alberta using your child tax benefit.
4 loans like Money Mart
Compare lenders that offer payday loans and installment loans like Money Mart.
4 loans like Loan Express
Browse payday lenders in Canada that offer loans like Loan Express.
Loan Express payday loan review
Loan Express offers payday loans of up to $1,500 through a fast, paperless process.