Trade forex online with OANDA
Trade on OANDA fxTrader or MT4 with instant execution and no requotes whenever the markets are open.
OANDA is one of the biggest forex traders in the world with multiple trading platforms, including MetaTrader4 (MT4), which you can use to trade 70+ major and exotic currency pairs five days a week. But it doesn’t allow for much freedom in creating your own trading strategies.
What trading platforms are available?
OANDA’s trading platforms, fxTrade and MT4, are available across desktop and mobile.
- OANDA fxTrade. Available with Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems as a practice or live trading account, fxTrade lets you create sub accounts and trade 70+ different currency pairs and silver and gold crosses.
- OANDA fxTrade Mobile. OANDA fxTrade Mobile is compatible with iPhones, iPads and Android smartphones and tablets.
- MetaTrader 4. Available on Windows, MT4 supports the use of expert advisers to automate trades. This trading platform is funded from your OANDA fxTrade account.
|Spread fee – CAD/USD||–|
|Education and resources||Yes|
|Does it offer fixed spreads?||–|
|Is it MetaTrader supported?||Yes|
|Minimum deposit required||No|
|Compatible devices||iOS, Android, Windows|
|Payment methods||Bank transfer, wire transfer, ACH transfer, cheque and credit card|
|Demo account available?||Yes|
What trading levels are available with OANDA?
OANDA offers two account types: standard and premium. Both account types come with most of the basic features, such as:
- 70 FX pairs
- Multiple platforms
- API trading
- 24/5 support
In addition to all of the features found in the standard account type, premium offers the following:
- Minimum account balance of $25,000 CAD
- Dedicated relationship manager
- Unlimited free wire transfers
- Priority service queues
- Updates every 5 minutes on the MT4 open order indicator
What are the benefits of using OANDA?
OANDA has developed a good reputation in forex trading, mainly due to these benefits:
- Customer service availability. OANDA provides in-house live chat, email and telephone support five days a week.
- No minimum deposit. New traders can start with any trading amount.
- Strong analytics. OANDA comes with many analytical tools such as position ratios, top 100 statistics, and a 24-hour order book summary, all across multiple trading platforms.
- Instant approvals. All orders are executed instantly, without any requotes or rejections.
What to watch out for
OANDA doesn’t have many flaws, but there is one particular drawback:
- Lack of development features. Some traders prefer to create their own trading strategies, but OANDA isn’t the best platform for these features.
Is OANDA for me?
OANDA forex trading is available for individual and corporate customers.
OANDA provides a demo trading account you can use to practice trading with virtual funds before opening a live trading account.
The OANDA’s practice trading account doesn’t expire, so you can use it for as long as you like. You can reset the 100,000 virtual currency limit and change your leverage level as many times as you like.
You can create a live trading account right away if you want to skip using the demo account.
OANDA is one of the leading platforms in forex trading that comes with many features that could appeal to many types of traders. Its analytical tools and instant approvals could suit experienced traders, while having no minimum deposit amount and the ability to trade in virtual currency could appeal to newcomers.
But it’s limited to only forex trading and doesn’t allow for much freedom in creating your own strategies. Before deciding on any trading platform, it’s best to compare other options to find one that suits you best.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Market Uncertainty: Keep Your Retirement Savings on Track
Persistent inflation and uncertain economic conditions can prompt fear. Answer six questions to know when to protect your retirement savings.
Long term investments
Find out how long term investments work and how to use long term investments to build your wealth.
An investment platform that enables users to buy and sell stocks in fine art securities.
What should you invest in during a recession?
Find out which investments are likely to continue to perform while there’s a recession.
ETF vs. mutual fund
ETFs and mutual funds both hold baskets of investments, but pricing minimums and trading costs vary.
Friedberg Direct in Canada
Learn how you can trade currency pairs and contracts for difference with this reputable online forex trading platform.
Fusion Markets review
Learn how you can make the most out of your forex trades with this low-fee forex trading broker.
How to invest in oil in Canada
We walk through how to invest in oil through stocks, futures, exchange traded funds and master limited partnerships, plus some of the risks you face.
Moka app review
Before you start investing your spare change with the Moka app, check out our Moka review for everything you need to know.
What are bonds?
Bonds are fixed-income assets that earn interest. But bonds may underperform other asset classes in the long run.