Mogo Credit Score review
Get instant and ongoing access to your credit score and enjoy free fraud detection and identity theft protection with Mogo.Open a MogoAccount and access your credit score for free with no impact to your score. Receive your updated Equifax credit score every month.
Mogo is an innovative finance company that’s focused on helping Canadians improve their financial health. With this service, you can get free online access to your credit score and instant updates every month to monitor your credit report. You’ll also get ongoing protection from identity theft and fraud at no extra cost.
What credit score services does Mogo provide?
Mogo gives you instant access to your Equifax credit score as soon as you sign up for its online or mobile app. It also monitors your score and gives you monthly updates so that you can see how your score goes up or down over time. You won’t be required to pay for this service and there’s no promo period, which means you won’t have to sign up with a credit card.
All you need to do to register for your Mogo Credit Score is input your personal information online or into the Mogo app. From there, Mogo will display your credit score and relevant data using simple terms. It will also begin keeping tabs on your credit score daily to alert you if any hard inquiries are made against your credit report (which could be an indication of fraud).
While typical credit alert providers may charge up to $20 per month for this type of service, Mogo is unique because it provides you with unlimited alert notifications at no additional cost. With 75% of Canadians affected by data breaches in 2018, this type of protection has never been more relevant.
What other financial products and services does Mogo offer?
Once you sign up with Mogo, you’ll get access to a wide range of financial products and services in addition to credit score monitoring. These include personal loans, mortgages, investment products and a spending account powered by a free prepaid Visa card.
- Prepaid Visa. Sign up for a Mogo Prepaid Visa to avoid spending more than you have in your bank account. This card will also offset your carbon footprint when you spend money instead of offering more traditional rewards.
- Personal loans. Borrow up to $35,000 with interest rates between 5.9% and 45.9%, depending on factors such as your credit score. Track your repayment progress with Mogo’s app and prepay your loan at any time without penalty.
- Mortgages. Apply for a mortgage with Mogo and get connected to a list of market-leading rates from top lenders willing to finance you. Track your mortgage using Mogo’s app, and find out how much equity you’ll earn every time you make a payment.
- Investments. Use Mogo’s app to trade cryptocurrencies on a reputable platform. You can also sign up for Mogo’s MoneyClass, which is an online educational series that will walk you through the fundamentals of a tried-and-tested investment strategy.
How does Mogo have access to credit score information?
Mogo Credit Score is powered by Equifax, one of Canada’s largest credit bureaus. Your credit score is automatically tabulated by Equifax using its proprietary model and is transmitted to Mogo using specialized technology. This score is only available to MogoAccount holders that have passed identity verification.
The Mogo model has a scale that ranges from 300 to 850, with anything below 660 being counted as poor credit. Where you sit on this scale will determine your general ability to qualify for lending or credit requests.
How to apply
It’s easy to apply for a Mogo Credit Score account. All you need to do is download the app from Google Play or the Apple Store, and verify your identity.
- Click the green “Go to site” button to be securely redirected to Mogo’s website.
- Input a username and password to create an account.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, home address and relevant personal information.
- Review and submit your application to get access to your credit score.
You may also be asked to provide two pieces of government-issued ID to verify your identity. These can include your driver’s licence, health card, birth certificate, passport or bank statement.
Pros and cons
- Instant access. You’ll be able to access your credit score online as soon as you sign up.
- Ongoing alerts. Mogo will send you alerts whenever a hard credit check is made on your account (which could be an indication of fraud).
- Tailored advice. You’ll get a list of things to do to help you improve your credit score if you see an unexpected drop or notice fraudulent activity on your account.
- Monitored changes. You’ll be able to see how many points your score goes up or down each month and get real-time information about why these changes occurred.
- Free identity theft. You can take advantage of MogoProtect to protect yourself from identity theft and fraud at no extra charge.
- Advice on error resolution. If you detect errors or fraudulent activity on your report, you’ll get personalized advice on how to resolve them with the credit bureau.
- Access to financial products. You can access a number of other financial products through Mogo’s platform, including loans, mortgages and prepaid credit cards.
- Specialized education products. Mogo offers a series of free MoneyClass courses to walk you through the principles of investing and managing your finances.
- No data from other credit bureaus. You won’t find out how your score is assessed through other credit bureaus like TransUnion.
- Sensitive personal information required. You’ll have to submit sensitive details such as your address, phone number and Social Insurance Number to sign up.
- High interest rates for bad credit. You’ll pay rates as high as 45.9% on Mogo personal loans if your credit score isn’t in the best shape.
- No in-person service. You won’t be able to visit Mogo at a brick and mortar location to deal with your credit score and associated financial products.
Mogo gives you instant access to your credit score and ongoing fraud and identity theft protection. You can also use Mogo to access financial products such as loans, mortgages and prepaid credit cards. All of Mogo’s services combined are designed to save you money and give you insight into the state of your credit and overall financial health.