Sun Life Financial life insurance
Learn about the range of Sun Life insurance policies and how they compare with those from other Canadian insurers.
Sun Life Financial is one of Canada’s largest insurance companies. It offers a comprehensive suite of policies, including life, critical illness, disability and business insurance. Sun Life was founded over 150 years ago in Montreal and now operates in North America, Europe and Asia. It is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
What insurance coverage options does Sun Life Financial offer?
Sun Life offers a wide range of individual and group insurance products. Group insurance refers to products or policies you may have through your employer. We will focus on the individual insurance products Sun Life offers. Below are the main categories of Sun Life insurance products.
- Quotes online. You can get basic quotes for some types of Sun Life insurance products like term life insurance online, although in many cases you may have to contact an adviser to get more detailed information and finalize the purchase.
- Coverage across Canada. No matter where you live in Canada, Sun Life insurance products are available for purchase. That said, you may not always have access to an adviser nearby.
- High credit ratings. Sun Life is rated AA (very strong) by Standard & Poor’s and Aa3 by Moody’s, two well-known credit rating agencies that measure companies by how prepared they are to meet financial liabilities.
- Tools and resources. The Sun Life website has a well-stocked section of articles and tutorials that explain the insurance industry and explore other personal finance topics. There are also numerous online tools such as insurance calculators to help determine how much coverage you may need.
- No homeowner insurance: Sun Life does not offer homeowners insurance products.
- Can’t file all claims online: If you bought your insurance through an adviser, which in many cases you need to do, you can’t necessarily file your claims online. You need to contact your adviser and initiate the process through him or her.
- Top-rated workplace in Canada 2019 – Indeed
- Global 100 most sustainable corporations 2019 – Corporate Knights, a Toronto-based media and investment research firm
- Most trusted life insurance brand in Canada 2019 – Reader’s Digest Survey
- Ranks #1 in digital sales functionality for life insurance brands in Canada 2016 – Forrester
- Phone. You can call 1-877-SUN-LIFE (1-877-786-5433) Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm ET. Sun Life says you can call this number to make general inquiries about your finances with a financial adviser if you are not yet a customer. You can also call this number to ask about insurance products you have already purchased.
- Email. You can email email@example.com to get in touch with your adviser or to ask about your individual insurance products.
- Find an adviser. Sun Life’s website helps you locate an adviser in your area that can help you with inquiries about Sun Life’s insurance products.
Benefits and drawbacks of Sun Life insurance
Sun Life Awards
How to contact Sun Life
You can purchase individual Sun Life insurance products through a Sun Life adviser or, in some cases, online. Here are some ways to get in touch with Sun Life.
Frequently asked questions about Sun Life insurance
Read more on this topic
Will my life insurance cover the coronavirus? Find out how the coronavirus pandemic affects your life insurance policy. If you don't currently have a life insurance policy, you may have to wait to apply.
Group accident insurance Group accident insurance is a great add-on for any employer-provided benefits plan. Find out what it is and if it's the right option for your business.
How to get cheap life insurance in 2020 Our guide to finding an affordable policy without skimping on coverage. Learn what to look out for and tips for getting the coverage you need.
How to get life insurance if I smoke pot Will using cannabis prevent you from getting life insurance? Read this to learn how cannabis use can impact your policy.
How does life insurance work? Life insurance can help your family recover financially from unexpected loss. Find out how life insurance works and what policy may be right for you.
Life insurance policy ownership Find out who the actual owner of a life insurance policy is, if ownership can be changed, what happens when the owner or beneficiary dies and more.
What's Universal Life Insurance? A type of permanent life insurance that offers flexibility and invested cash value, but is it the right investment option for you?
What's Permanent Life Insurance? A permanent policy doesn't expire and can build cash-value. It gives you the satisfaction that your loved ones will always be taken care of - but is it worth the cost?
Critical illness insurance Critical illness insurance provides you with a lump sum benefit in case you become seriously ill and can't work. Learn about it and if it's the right insurance option for you.
Guide to mortgage disability insurance Mortgage disability insurance offers mortgage protection if you’re disabled, though it isn’t the cheapest type of disability policy.