Jira Core Review
It offers hosted and self-hosted versions of its software, but with limited tech support.
What is Jira Core?
Jira Core is Jira’s project management software. It allows teams to create workflows and tasks, set deadlines and status updates and review core performance metrics for ongoing projects.
What else does Jira offer?
In addition to its Core service, Jira offers the following software products:
- Software. A project management tool for software teams to plan sprints, assign tasks, schedule software releases and create workflows.
- Align. An enterprise-level platform featuring portfolio management and agile framework support.
- Service desk. An IT service management system that helps your team process incoming support requests, report incidents and expedite service delivery.
How does Jira work?
Jira is a business project management tool. Businesses can access the hosted version of the software for a monthly fee, while you can purchase the self-hosted version outright and download to company hardware.
Teams can create workflows, create tasks and divvy up work by assigning tickets to team members. The diverse feature-set can be intimidating for first-time users, but the platform is intuitive enough that a little practice could get your team up to speed.
What Finder thinks about Jira
Jira has become an integral part of the way we do work at Finder, helping us organize and assign tasks company-wide. Many of us have used the platform as both a part-time freelancer and full-time staff member, and we can’t imagine our workday without it. We receive daily writing assignments as assigned tasks, and when we’re done, we pass it off to the appropriate editor.
What we’ve found particularly useful about the platform is the ability to loop team members into tasks by leaving comments. When we need to ask a question or leave feedback for a specific team member, all we need to do is tag them in a comment right on the ticket. This helps keep task-related commentary organized, scannable and in one place.
Here at Finder, we use Jira to tackle complex workflows and juggle projects with the following features:
- Workflows. Define core processes through visual workflows.
- Tasks. Create task tickets, upload attachments, set due dates, assign team members and leave feedback.
- Status updates. Set task statuses by priority level so assigned team members stay on top of urgent deadlines.
- Notifications. Tag team members with @mentions so they know when their feedback or expertise is needed.
- Performance metrics. Track tasks by status update and assignee for an overview of ongoing projects.
- Calendar. Review monthly tasks, projects and deadlines at glance.
Jira pricing and fees
There are two ways to access Jira Core: hosted or self-hosted. For teams that want their Jira software hosted and managed by Jira, its cloud option comes with a monthly subscription fee. For teams that want to handle the intricacies of hosting on their own, download software costs a one-time flat fee.
Note: the information below is current as of April 17, 2020, All prices quoted are in USD.
|Storage||2 GB file storage||250GB file storage|
|Support||Jira forums, 3 Jira service desk agents||Email support on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., PT, MT, CT and ET.|
|Included features||Everything included in the Free tier, plus:|
If you’d prefer to host Jira’s software on your own server, prices for Jira Core are as follows:
|Team size||One-time fee|
|Up to 10 users||$10|
|Up to 25 users||$3,500|
|Up to 50 users||$6,800|
|Up to 100 users||$13,300|
|Up to 250 users||$26,400|
|Up to 500 users||$40,000|
|Up to 2,000 users||$60,000|
|Up to 10,000 users||$120,000|
|Over 10,000 users||$200,000|
How do I sign up for Jira?
Begin the signup process on Jira’s website:
- Click Try it free
- Select Continue with Google or Sign up with email
- Choose the email address you’d like to use to create your account
- Choose your site name and click Continue
- Tell Jira more about your organization, including the industry you work in and your role within the company
From here, you’ll be prompted to start a sample project from one of Jira’s templates, create a new project from scratch or import data from an existing issue tracking system.
Pros and cons
- Free tier. Sign up for the hosted version of Jira Core for free.
- Mobile app. Stay up-to-date on ongoing projects even on the go with Jira’s mobile app for Android and iOS.
- Well-reviewed. Thousands of customers give Jira’s software high marks.
- Hosted and self-hosted. Access Jira Core from the cloud or download it to company hardware.
- Limited support. Tech support is only available weekdays by email from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. across the following time zones: PT, MT, CT and ET.
- Steep learning curve. One of the most common complaints about Jira’s software is that its features can be complicated for beginners.
Customer reviews and complaints
While dedicated reviews of Jira’s Core software are scarce, Jira’s overall reputation as a software provider is quite positive. The Better Business Bureau and Trustpilot don’t offer much to go on, but Jira has a 4.1- out of 5-star reputation on reviewer G2 based on 3,536 reviews. Capterra awards Jira 4.4 out of 5 stars, based on 8,539 reviews.
Lots of customers love that Jira’s range of powerful features allow for plenty of customization — but some argue that the offerings are complex and overwhelming to navigate.
How do I contact Jira support?
The only way to reach Jira’s customer support is by email. Fill out a secure online form with your email address and inquiry for a response from the support team.
Jira can help teams organize workflows and tackle tasks, but its software can be tricky to learn. Explore your software options with other providers to find the best solution for your team.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Review: CoinSmart cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the CoinSmart cryptocurrency exchange by reading the full review.
Have a US bank account and need to send money at a moment’s notice? Zelle could be the app for you — especially if your bank is already a Zelle partner.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralized finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
monday.com promo codes and coupons October 2020: Sign up and enjoy a 14-day free trial
Get your business organised and running efficiently with operating system software from monday.com. Save a bundle with our promo codes.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
Starling Bank review
Is this app-only challenger bank available to Canadians? Read our review to get the low down on all of Starling’s features and benefits.
10 crowdfunding sites for Canadian small businesses
Compare fees, benefits and drawbacks of popular crowdfunding platforms — from Kickstarter and FundRazr to GoFundMe and Crowd Supply. Get backing to achieve your small business goals.
Passiv app review
Get trade suggestions to help you reach your target allocation with this innovative online investment rebalancing software.
TD Direct Investing Review
Make quick and easy trades using this reputable online trading platform from TD.
CIBC Investor’s Edge Review
Pay low fees when you buy and sell a number of investment products using CIBC’s reputable online trading platform.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.