Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Flight deals to Japan for Canadians for 2021
Find sale fares, special offers and deals on flights to Japan from Canada.
Land of the Rising Sun, Japan possesses a wealth of history and tradition while embracing the modern age. Visitors can find mind-boggling cities, fantastic skiing opportunities, World Heritage sites and gardens – in addition to the famous cherry blossoms in spring. The crazy capital of Tokyo is a realm of skyscrapers and gadgets galore with one of the world’s most impressive public transportation systems.
A number of full-service airlines operate both direct and indirect flights from Canada to Japan, including Air Canada, JAL, ANA, United Airlines and Delta.
Japan flight time
- From Vancouver: Approximately 10 hrs 05 mins direct, landing at Narita International Airport or Haneda Airport
- From Toronto: Approximately 13 hrs direct, landing at Narita International Airport or Haneda Airport
- From Halifax: Approximately 15 hrs 50 mins + with one stopover, landing at Narita International Airport or Haneda Airport
- From Winnipeg: Approximately 14 hrs 55 mins + with one stopover, landing at Narita International Airport or Haneda Airport
Airlines that fly to Japan
- Air Canada
- United Airlines
- JAL (Japan Airlines)
- ANA (All Nippon Airways)
- Japan’s climate differs significantly between the north and south. Northern winters can get bitterly cold and this is when the cheapest flights are found. You can always warm up in the hot springs! Summers in tropical south Japan are hot and sticky and most travellers prefer to avoid these.
- Canadians can fly direct from Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver with Air Canada, JAL or ANA.
- If landing in Tokyo, select your seat on the right-hand side of the plane if you can, to get the best views of Mount Fuji and the city landscape from above.
- Travellers from cities like Halifax, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Edmonton will need to make at least one stopover. Full-service airlines such as Air Canada, Delta and United Airlines operate a range of flights from these Canadian cities to Japan, but will require at least one stopover in another Canadian city or a US city. Usually, you can continue the second leg of your trip with the same airline.
Direct flights to Tokyo from Canada land either at Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda Airport (HND). Public transport serves both of these airports well, with the quickest option being express train. Look for the JR Narita Express or the Keikyu Line (from Haneda) to Tokyo.
The Tokyo-Sapporo route is one of the busiest in the world with around 80 flights per day, so look out for flight sales – you can snap up a bargain if you book in advance. Sapporo’s Chitose Airport is well connected to the city’s train station by a frequent JR rapid train service that takes around 30 minutes. There are also regular buses but they take twice as long and announcements are not always made in English.
Japan’s train and subway systems are some of the most efficient in the world. If you’re travelling extensively, look at purchasing a Japan Rail Pass before you leave Canada – it’s good value and valid on Japan’s most extensive network. Note that you will need to apply for the pass before you leave Canada (or your country of departure – if offered – prior to arriving in Japan). There are numerous alternative rail passes to suit your itinerary with plenty of information available online, or speak to a travel agent.
Taxis are not a cheap way of getting around Japan as most locals and tourists rely on public transport. If you do want to flag one down, look for a red light as a green light means the taxi is occupied.
More guides on Finder
Newfoundland travel restrictions: Where you can go in 2021
What you need to know about the latest travel rules and restrictions in Newfoundland as well as where to stay, places to visit and how to travel around the area.
How to get Alaska Lounge access and all locations
Find out how to get access to Alaska Airline lounges, where the lounges are located and what credit card gives you a discount on membership.
Best places to visit in Japan
Find the best places to visit across Japan for every kind of traveller from culture and history to food, spectacular views and so much more.
10 sites like Kayak where you’ll find cheap flights
Have all the flight booking options at your fingertips with these sites just like Kayak.
Best Greece hotels to book in 2021
We’ve got you covered for the best hotels in Athens, Santorini, Milos and more.
Etihad promo codes for September 2021
Etihad Airways is a leading global airline and you can access their flights from Canada to other parts of the world. The airline presents Arabian hospitality with world class facilities.
Best Las Vegas hotels you can book in 2021
From budget to 5-star and everything in between, find somewhere to stay in Sin City with our Las Vegas hotel guide.
Best Vietnam tours for 2021
The ins and outs of booking a tour through Vietnam, ranging from the best tour companies to suit your travel style to the ideal itineraries to see it all.
Best Calgary hotels to book in 2021
Find the perfect place to rest your head in Alberta’s biggest city, Calgary.
Cheap flights to Argentina and the latest deals for 2021
The ins and outs of flying to Argentina, from airlines to airport transfers. Secure cheap flights to Argentina right here.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.