Season 16 of the hit FBI crime show is premiering on Disney Plus.Read more…
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Netflix Canada: Price, features and content
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services on the market, so we look at why this might be.
The biggest streaming service in the world really needs no introduction, but here’s one anyway. With humble beginnings as a DVD delivery service, Netflix essentially paved the way for streaming video on demand single-handedly. After a huge global expansion, including Canada in 2010, the world’s entertainment providers and media giants have tried to keep up with the streaming service that is available in over 190 countries around the world.
While it started out as a streaming home for content from other studios, Netflix has shifted over time to produce more original shows, especially as these studios such as Disney and Paramount have bringing their own content back under their own respective streaming services such as Disney Plus and Paramount Plus. Early successes included House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, while later hits have included the likes of Stranger Things and Squid Game.
How much does Netflix Canada cost?
Netflix service plans start at $5.99 a month for the Basic with Ads plan. The Basic, no-ads plan costs $9.99 a month. Both plans only allow a single standard definition stream. From there, the price goes up and allows you more screens and better picture quality.
The Standard plan is $16.49 a month, and that allows viewing on 2 simultaneous streams, and in HD quality. The Premium plan allows viewing in 4K where available and on up to 4 simultaneous streams for $20.99 a month.
On November 1, 2022, Netflix launched the Basic with Ads subscription tier, which costs $5.99 a month in Canada. It’s cheaper than the Basic plan but has around 4-5 minutes of ads for every hour of viewing, plus you won’t be able to download content. Around 5% of the regular Netflix library is unavailable with this plan. The entire Netflix catalogue will also now be available in a minimum of HD, with the Basic plan and the Basic plan with Ads both being in HD from November 1, 2022.
There are no contracts with Netflix so you can cancel the service at any time. But until then, the credit card you used to sign up will automatically be charged each month.
Does Netflix have a free trial in Canada?
While Canadians were once able to enjoy 30 days of free Netflix, that’s no longer the case. Netflix removed its free trial in October 2020.
You can cancel your account at any time though. So if Netflix isn’t right for you, the most you’ll pay is 1 month’s subscription fees.
What can I watch on Netflix Canada?
We monitor Netflix content additions and removals regularly, and Netflix’s library in Canada currently has 2204 TV shows and 1580 movies.
Netflix TV highlights include global hits like Stranger Things, Lucifer, The Witcher, Virgin River, The Crown and more.
Netflix comes with numerous features that make streaming a seamless and accessible experience. You can:
- Set up multiple profiles, so every member of the household can create their own watchlist and get personalised recommendations.
- There is a special Kids profile and you can set parental controls.
- Transfer profiles, a recently introduced feature that lets people using your account transfer a profile — keeping the personalized recommendations, viewing history, My List and other settings — when they start their own membership. This feature is rolling out around the world. You’ll be notified by email as soon as Profile Transfer becomes available on your account.
- Download content from Netflix to watch offline
- Watch with closed captions or subtitles
- Adjust playback speed
- Audio descriptions are available for a lot of titles
- Use the Skip Intro button for when you’re in a rush
- Auto-plays episodes so you can binge-watch for as long as you want
- Use Play Something and Netflix will automatically choose a title for you if you don’t know what to watch
How does Netflix compare?
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services in Canada, but the competition is getting fiercer each year. Services like Prime Video, Disney Plus and Paramount Plus are worthy competitors. Niche services like BritBox, Acorn TV and Shudder also available to cater to viewers with more specific tastes.
Compare Canadian streaming services
Which devices are compatible with Netflix Canada?
An appealing aspect that Netflix has over other video streaming providers is the number of devices you can use to access the movies and TV series. Sign in with your Netflix account to watch instantly on the web at netflix.com from your computer or on any internet-connected device that offers the Netflix app including smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, streaming media players and game consoles. Some already come with the Netflix app pre-installed, so you don’t have to add another device to watch. Netflix is available to watch on:
How much data does Netflix use?
It depends on the quality you set for your stream. Usage varies depending on whether you’re streaming in SD, HD or 4K. Below is a guide to how much data Netflix will consume at each level of quality:
- Low quality: 300MB/hour
- Standard definition (SD): 700MB/hour
- High definition (HD): 3GB/hour
- 4K/ultra HD (UHD): 7GB/hour
How do I cancel Netflix?
You can cancel Netflix anytime in just a few clicks. You’ll still have access to your plan until the end of the billing period, and you can restart your membership whenever you want.
- Visit netflix.com/ca from a browser on your desktop or laptop.
- If you’re already signed in, skip ahead to step three. If not, sign in using the username and password you chose when you started your subscription.
- Hover your mouse over the username or user icon in the top-right corner of the home screen.
- In the drop-down box, click Your Account.
- On the My Account screen, click Cancel Membership located near the top of the screen under Membership and Billing.
- On the next screen, you’ll see an exact date (e.g. 22 Jan 2016). This is the date your account is paid up to and the date your subscription will officially end.
- Click Finish Cancellation to complete the process.
Netflix Canada FAQs
More guides on Finder
How to buy Neuraxis (NRXS) stock in Canada when it goes public
Everything we know about the Neuraxis IPO plus information on how to buy in.
EQ Bank Card review
Earn interest on your savings, avoid ATM and foreign transaction fees and get cashback on every purchase.
How to buy Brera (BREA) stock in Canada
Everything we know about the Brera IPO plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy TXO Energy (TXO) stock in Canada
Everything we know about the TXO Energy IPO plus information on how to buy in.
5 ways to get MacBook financing in Canada
Get the MacBook you want at a price you can afford.
Best high interest savings accounts of January 2023
Take a look at several of the best high-interest savings accounts to grow your funds with no risk. You’ll discover fee structures and what it takes to open an account.
Compare personal loans in Winnipeg
Learn about different personal loan types in Winnipeg and find out where to apply online or in person.
Debt consolidation loans in Ottawa
Follow this guide to discover your options to consolidate debt in Ottawa.
Instant Funding review
Before you apply with instantfunding.ca, read this review to help you make an informed decision.
Compare personal loans in PEI
Learn where to find personal loans in PEI, how to apply and what you need to qualify.