Compare fees, exchange rates and transfer fees when sending money between Canada and Zambia.
Zambia is one of a few countries that can consistently boast above 6% Real GDP growth in Africa, compared to the worldwide average of 3%. With high exports coming out of the nation, there is a need for affordable and fast ways to send money between Canada and Zambia.
Although some Canadian banks may allow transfers to Zambia, they tend to charge high transfer fees, give poor exchange rates and take a while to transfer the money. On the other hand, using the services of a dedicated money transfer company can secure you cheaper transfer fees, a more competitive exchange rate and a faster transfer speed.
Read our comprehensive guide to find out more about the factors you should take into account when sending money overseas to Zambia.
Case study: General money transfer companies vs. immediate money transfer services
Jenny is a businesswoman from Zambia and has recently moved to Canada to make sure her father’s copper export company continues to experience smooth sailing in North America.
Since her father has a successful copper exporting company, she won’t need to send money to Zambia to support her family, but she still needs to pay off her student debt. She decides that she will send money back from Canada to tackle her student loans.
Jenny takes the time to do some research before coming to the following conclusions, using a benchmark of $1,000 Canadian dollars. Although there are a couple of Canadian banks that will send the money to Zambia, only money transfer companies have made it possible to calculate exchange rates for Jenny to send money to Zambia. She decides to compare a cash pickup service and an online service.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||CAD$1 = 7.12 ZMW||CAD$1 = 7.01 ZMW|
|Amount of ZMW received in Zambia for CAD$1,000||7,014.75 ZMW|
|Transfer time||Two days||Minutes|
|Transfer options||Online transfer||Online, by phone or at a branch|
|Difference in ZMW||+ 107.25 ZMW|
What factors should you consider when sending and receiving money between Zambia and Canada?
- Exchange rates. Compare the offered exchange rate to the transfer fees charged by a company. Some companies hide high transfer fees inside of competitive exchange rates, while others may offer poorer exchange rates but charge lower transfer fees.
- Pickup methods. You can generally send money directly into your recipient’s bank account, as well as have cash available for pickup at an agent or branch location.
- Fees. Fees tend to be higher if a company sends the funds overseas within just minutes or hours. Longer transfer times generally incur lower fees. Some companies will completely waive transfer fees if you send over a certain amount of money, however this is generally around the $5,000 or $10,000 mark.
- Turnaround time. The turnaround time can range from minutes to five days when sending money to Zambia. Banks generally take three to five days to send money, while transfer companies can take anywhere from minutes to three or four days.
- Transfer methods. Depending on the company, transfer methods may include sending the funds in person at a branch, sending funds online, by phone or through a mobile app.
- Transfer options. Some companies will offer special services like recurring payments, market orders and other services.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. Although some companies specify limits, a minimum amount can be as high as $5,000 for some companies. Maximum amounts for others can hit the $1,000 mark or lower sometimes.
- Customer service. Always choose a reputable company that has positive feedback from customers when it comes to customer service. If you have any problems, some companies will allow you to contact them via phone, email, in person or by online chat.
How to send money to Zambia from Canada
- Money transfer services – Moneygram, Western Union and WorldRemit allow you to send money to Zambia.
- Banks – Some Canadian banks will allow transfers to Zambia. Contact your bank to find out if it is possible or head onto your online banking facility.
How to receive money in Canada from Zambia
- Moneygram, Western Union and WorldRemit – These companies allow you to send money from Zambia to Canada with a cash pickup option.
- Banks – Some Canadian banks will likely allow transfers from Zambia.
Emergency cash transfers to Zambia
It is possible to retrieve emergency cash while travelling through Zambia. Whether you lose your wallet or purse or have cash stolen, you can receive cash from MoneyGram or Western Union branches. Both of these companies have hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide and can have cash made available within minutes of it being sent. You can view some of the most popular MoneyGram and Western Union locations in Zambia below.
Cash pickup locations in Zambia when using MoneyGram, Western Union
- Stanbic Bank Zambia
58 4803 Commonwealth Ave Stand
Open Monday to Friday, from 8:15am to 3:30pm, Saturday from 8:15am to 12pm, Sunday from 12am to 12pm
- Zampost – Woodlands
Woodlands Shopping Centre, Lusaka
Open Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm, Saturday from 8am to 2pm, Sunday from 12am to 12pm
- Investrust Bank – Kitwe Branch
512 Blantyre road, Kitwe, 0
Open Monday to Friday, from 8:15am to 4pm, Saturday from 8:15am to 12:30pm, Sunday from 12am to 12pm
- Access Bank Zambia Limited
Plot 682, Cairo Road, North End, Po Box 35273
Open Monday to Friday, from 8:15am to 4pm, Saturday from 8:15am to 12pm, Sunday from 8:15am to 4pm
- Chibombo Ecobank Branch
Ecobank Zambia, P.o Box 30705
Open Monday to Friday, from 8am to 4pm, Saturday from 8am to 12pm, Closed on Sunday
- Access Bank Kitwe
Plot 493/494, Union House, P.o Box 20033
Open Monday to Friday, from 8:15am to 4pm, Saturday from 9am to 4pm, Closed on Sunday
Tips for picking up cash in Zambia
A country that boasts a lot of public activity like Zambia means that there is danger in openly trading money in public, so keep your cash close to your person and don’t flash it around. Keep your money transfer operations confined to the daytime, since it tends to be more dangerous at nighttime. Avoid public transportation with lots of cash on you and store your money in a safe place.
Steps to send money to Zambia
What will you need when picking up cash at an agent location in Zambia?
- A valid government issued ID, like a passport or a driver’s licence.
- The tracking or reference number.
When sending money through an agent in Canada or Zambia:
- Visit the branch with a valid form of photo ID.
- Fill in an application form and specify the amount you want to send.
- Pay all of the necessary transfer fees.
- It is then your responsibility to contact your recipient of the money and provide them with the tracking or reference number.
- Some branches may require proof of address.
When sending cash pickup using an online profile:
- You will need to create a free online profile.
- Choose the country (Zambia), amount (CAD/ZMW) you want to send and the delivery method (cash).
- Enter the receiver’s name.
- Pay using a debit or credit card.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the tracking number that you can share with your recipient for the cash pickup.
If you are sending the money to an account overseas:
- Bank code, full name and address of the bank that you’re transferring to.
- Recipient’s name, address and account name.
- Account number or International Bank Account Number (IBAN).
- Amount and type of currency you are sending.