Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Samoa
Save time and money when sending money to Samoa from Canada.
Although Samoa’s small economy has been growing steadily over the last few years, its citizens are still dependent on remittances from family members in Canada and around the world to help with daily expenses. If you’re looking to send money to Samoa, make sure to compare transfer fees and exchange rates for several providers to find the best deal.
What's in this guide?
- How to send money to Samoa
- Banks versus money transfer companies
- How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Samoa
- How to send money to Samoa from Canada
- Emergency cash transfers in Samoa
- Cash pickup locations in Samoa (Western Union and MoneyGram branches in Samoa)
- Tips for picking up cash in Samoa
- How to send money to Samoa
Banks versus money transfer companies
Case study: Losefa’s family transfers
For the past three years, Losefa has traveled to Vancouver in January to work in the construction industry. Each year, he works until the end of April, and sends around $1,000 per month home to his family during the course of his stay. Losefa wants to find the cheapest way to send money back to Samoa, and compares his bank against a money transfer service to figure out the best option.
|Bank||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||CAD $1 = WST 1.85||CAD $1 = WST 1.93|
|Amount received for $1,000 – in WST||WST 1,850||WST 1,930|
|Transfer time||Two to three business days||Ten minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank to bank transfer||Bank to bank transfer|
Losefa’s research reveals that he can send an additional WST 80 (around $40) to his family with the money transfer service in addition to saving $25 in fees.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Samoa
In order to find the best service for you, it pays to look at the following features of both banks and money transfer companies:
- Exchange rate. Check what the exchange rate is, but take into account the fees, as some companies may offer great exchange rates but offset this with expensive fees.
- Fees. Many banks have a set fee for all transfer amounts and countries, while transfer companies will vary by country and can offer low to no fees when large sums are transferred.
- Transfer time. For individuals supporting a household or making a regular payment, waiting a few days may be acceptable, but for emergency situations you may want to take advantage of sending cash for pickup at an agent location, which makes the transfer available to your recipient within a couple of minutes.
- Transfer methods. Money today can be sent bank to bank or as cash in hand. Decide how you want to send the money and compare services based on this.
- Security. If you do plan on using a money transfer company, make sure that you use a reputable service and know and understand their dispute policies.
How to send money to Samoa from Canada
You will find that the following transfer companies are equipped to send cash transfers from Canada to Samoa:
- MoneyGram. For the recipient this is a cash pickup only but offers the sender competitive rates and fees.
- Western Union. With Western Union you can make cash transfers from Canada to Samoa.
Emergency cash transfers in Samoa
If you find yourself in a situation where you need a cash transfer while on vacation in Samoa, you have a few options:
- Travel insurance. If you purchased an insurance policy for your trip, its terms may include a provision for transferring you cash in case of an emergency. Make sure to retain any police reports to hand in when filing your claim.
- Credit card insurance. Many credit cards also offer types of traveler’s insurance. In most cases you will have had to have purchased your travel bookings with that card, but they will send you emergency cash if you qualify.
- Money transfer company. If you still have your photo identification, Canadians can pick up cash at a money transfer agency.
Cash pickup locations in Samoa (Western Union and MoneyGram branches in Samoa)
Both MoneyGram and Western Union have agents set up in Samoa where cash pick ups can be made. Before leaving for any location make sure that you have your identification with you and the money transfer reference number. Below you will find a few locations that may be convenient for you to pick up your money:
Apia, Apia 814
Open Seven days a week from 8am to 6pm
Fexco Samoa Tuasivi
Savaii, Savaii 814
Open Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5pm. Saturday 8:30am to 1:30pm. Sunday closed.
Le Lagoto Resort
Salelologa, Salelologa 814
Open Monday through Friday 8am to 6pm. Saturday and Sunday 8am to 2pm.
Open Monday through Friday 7:30am to 5:30pm. Closed Saturday and Sunday
Open Monday through Wednesday 9am to 4:00pm. Thursday through Friday 9am to 4:30pm. Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Westpac Bank Samoa
Open Monday through Friday 7:30am to 5:30pm. Saturday and Sunday closed.
Tips for picking up cash in Samoa
According to Global Affairs Canada, Canadians should exercise normal safety precautions when traveling to Samoa. That being said, petty and violent crime occurs. Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times. Be extra vigilant when traveling to any of the above listed locations to pick up cash. Only travel to the agency with a trusted friend and immediately return to where you are staying to secure your cash.Back to top
How to send money to Samoa
If you have chosen to use a money transfer service to send cash from Canada to Samoa you will need to have the following:
- Recipient’s full name as it appears on their identification document.
- Recipient’s address.
- The transfer reference number which you will need to give to your recipient.
- A photo ID to show to the agent when placing your money transfer order.
After you have given the reference number to your family member or friend, save the paper until you are sure they have received the cash. This paperwork serves as a receipt of the transaction in the event that there is a dispute.
When sending money overseas from Canada to Samoa, or any other destination, it’s important that you look into your options carefully. Fees can vary greatly and are sometimes hidden in the currency exchange rate. Once you have found the most cost effective method for your situation, you will find it easy to send money from Canada to friends and family in Samoa.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Easy Financial Secured Loan review
If you’re willing to use your home as collateral, Easy Financial provides secured loans of up to $45,000.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
Canadian Auto News car loan review
Canadian Auto News matches you with local lenders and dealerships to help you find the perfect car and car financing for your needs.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Compare Car Loans
Compare the best car loans in Canada to get on the road faster and keep more money in your pocket.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.