Seasonal workers and those who have taken up residence in Australia from Samoa can find a number of ways to send money to their families back home
Although Samoa’s small economy has been growing steadily over the last few years, its citizens are still dependent on remittances from family members in Australia and around the world to help with daily expenses.
Australia has strong ties with the small Pacific nation and a number of trade programs in place to help them build a stronger economy. This includes scholarship programs to help build skills and a seasonal worker program that allows Samoan citizens to work in Australia’s horticultural industry. With so much support between the two nations, there is a demand for secure means of transferring money from Australia to Samoa.
Compare money transfer options to Samoa
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus money transfer companies
Case study: Losefa’s family transfers
For the past three years, Losefa has travelled to Australia in August as an employee in the horticultural industry. Each year he has been able to continue working until the end of April, yet has wanted to send his family in Samoa money periodically before heading home.
Curious to find the least expensive way to do this before going back to Australia this year, Losefa takes the time to research some of his money transfer options by researching how much he spends in fees to send his family $1,000 Australian dollars (AUD) and how much they receive in Samoan Tala (WST).
|Bank||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||AUD 1.00 = WST 1.79||AUD 1.00 AUD = WST 1.97|
|Transfer fee||AUD 20||$15|
|Amount received for $1,000 AUD – in WST||WST 1,784.30||WST 1,966.39|
|Transfer time||Two to three business days||Ten minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank to bank transfer||Pick up at an agency|
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Samoa
Losefa’s research showed him that the money transfer company put more of his money into the pocket of his family. When looking over the math he realised that when you include the difference in bank fees, he was losing almost AUD 94 every time he sent AUD 1,000 home. To do the same type of research that Losefa did, you will want to look at the following features of both banks and money transfer companies:
- Exchange rate. Check what the exchange rate is, but take into account the fees, as some companies may offer great exchange rates but offset this with expensive fees.
- Fees. Many banks have a set fee for all transfer amounts and countries, while transfer companies will vary by country and can offer cheaper or no fees when large sums are transferred.
- Transfer time. For individuals supporting a household or making a regular payment, waiting a few days may be acceptable, but for emergency situations you may want to use a cash pickup system which makes the transfer within a couple of minutes.
- Transfer methods. Money today can be sent bank account to bank account or to be picked up as cash. Decide how you want the money available to your recipient and then compare services based on this.
- Security. There is a certain level of security when you make a money transfer through your bank then with a transfer company. If you do plan on using a money transfer company often make sure that you know and understand their dispute policies.
How to send money to Samoa from Australia
With the amount of workers, students and citizens of Samoa in Australia, a number of banks and money transfer companies have recognised the demand for reliable means of transferring money. You will find that the following banks and transfer companies are equipped to send money from Australia to Samoa:
- MoneyGram. For the recipient this is a cash pickup only but offers the sender competitive rates and fees.
- Westpac. Westpac has services in place to send money to a bank in Samoa using the ‘express card’ – a new, cost-effective way to send money using a telegraphic transfer.
- Western Union. With Western Union you can make cash transfers from Australia to Samoa.
- HiFX. With HiFX you send your transfers to Samoa from an online account, which allows you to track your transfer activity.
Emergency cash transfers in Samoa
If you find yourself in a situation where you need a cash transfer while on vacation in Samoa, you have a few options:
- Travel insurance. If you purchased an insurance policy for your trip, its terms may include a provision for transferring you cash in case of an emergency. Make sure to retain any police reports to hand in when filing your claim.
- Credit card insurance. Many credit cards also offer types of travellers insurance. In most cases you will have had to have purchased your travel bookings with that card, but they will send you emergency cash if you qualify.
- Money transfer company. If you still have your photo identification, Australians can pick up cash at a money transfer agency.
Cash pickup locations in Samoa (Western Union and MoneyGram branches in Samoa)
Both MoneyGram and Western Union have agents set up in Samoa where cash pick ups can be made. Before leaving for any location make sure that you have your identification with you and the money transfer reference number. Below you will find a few locations that may be convenient for you to pick up your money:Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Samoa
According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) an Australian should exercise normal safety precautions when traveling to Samoa. Even so, you should be extra vigilant when traveling to any of the above listed locations to pick up cash. Only travel to the agency with a trusted friend and immediately return to where you are staying to secure your cash.Back to top
How to send money to Samoa
If you have chosen to use a money transfer service to send cash from Australia to Samoa you will need to have the following:
- Recipient’s full name as it appears on their identification document.
- Recipient’s address.
- The transfer reference number which you will need to give to your recipient.
- A photo ID to show to the agent when placing your money transfer order.
After you have given the reference number to your family member or friend, save the paper until you are sure they have received the cash. This paperwork serves as a receipt of the transaction in the event that there is a dispute.
When sending money overseas from Australia to Samoa, or any other destination, it’s important that you look into your options carefully. Fees can vary greatly and are sometimes hidden in the currency exchange rate. Once you have found the most cost effective method for your situation, you will find it easy to send money from Australia to friends and family in Samoa.Back to top