Your detailed guide to the Currencies Direct Multi-Currency Account for online sellers, including exchange rates, fees, supported currencies and security. Read more…
Send money to Qatar
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Qatar.
Chances are you’ve landed on this page because you want to find the best deal for sending money to Qatar but aren’t keen to spend hours comparing money transfer providers individually. We don’t blame you! Lucky for you, we’ve taken the liberty to do the hard yards. The end result? A handy money transfer guide that will help you compare reputable brands to find the most competitive exchange rates and lowest fees.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
WorldRemit can help you get your money where it needs to go in minutes, with upfront exchange rates and low fees.
Use promo code FINDERCA on your first transfer and pay zero fees. T&Cs apply.
- Transfers to 150+ countries
- Send to bank account, cash pickup, mobile money, airtime top up
- Pay with card, Interac or Apple/Android Pay
Compare Money Transfer Services
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.Back to top
Banks versus money transfer companies
The first question you should be asking yourself, if you’re looking to send money to Qatar, is whether you should use your bank or a dedicated money transfer service.
- Banks. Many people assume that their bank will offer the easiest and most affordable way to send money overseas. In reality however, this is not typically the case. Banks offer some of the least competitive exchange rates on the market, and will often slug you with high fees as a thank you for your business.
- Money transfer service. Dedicated international money transfer providers, on the other hand, are experts at moving funds overseas. They offer bank-beating exchange rates and fees on transfers, not to mention providing a secure platform and top notch customer service.
Case study: John Sends Money to Qatar
John’s son Peter begins working in the oil industry in Qatar after graduating as an engineer from the University of Toronto. After a few months, the company that Peter works for closes it’s doors and he finds himself without an income. He wants to stay in Qatar, and has found a line on another job, but needs some money to tide him over in the interim. John offers to send him $1,000 to cover some of his expenses. Since Peter has some savings set aside, John can take his time to find the cheapest money transfer option. Since his bank doesn’t deal in Qatari riyal, Peter compares two dedicated money transfer services to find the best deal.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||CAD$1 = QAR 2.52||CAD$1 = QAR 2.65|
|Transfer method||Online transfer||Online transfer|
|Transfer time||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received (in QAR)||QAR 2,520||QAR 2,650|
John decides to transfer money to Peter using the second money transfer company, which will allow him to send an extra QAR 130 (around $47) to offset the cost of the additional $5 in fees.
What are some tips and tricks to compare companies when transferring money to Qatar?
John learns a lot from doing his quick comparison between money transfer services. He recommends looking for the following features if you’re in the market to get the best deal.
- Competitive exchange rates. Track down a company that regularly beats out its competitors by offering rates as close to the mid-market rate as possible (which is the rate that will pop up when you search “CAD to QAR exchange rates” on Google).
- Minimal fees. Find the lowest fees by comparing 3 – 4 services using a site like finder.ca (just click on your preferred provider in the comparison table at the top of the page) or by individually comparing quotes from reputable brands.
- Various transfer methods. Ask about transfer methods, which can include cash pickups, bank-to-bank transfers and even mobile wallet top-ups, before you settle on a service.
- Fast transfer times. Search for a fast service if you’re on a tight timeline – cash pick-ups can process in a matter of minutes – but aim for a dedicated money transfer service like TransferWise or World First if you want to save money on exchange rates and fees.
- Reliable customer service. Aim to send money with a company whose reputation you can bank on – set the bar high when it comes to customer service so that you’ll know you’re covered if there’s an issue with your transfer.
How do I send money to Qatar from Canada?
- Specialist transfer providers. When it comes to choosing a money transfer services, the world really is your oyster. Compare your options to find the service that offers the best deal.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. If you need to transfer money in an emergency, your options are somewhat more limited. Western Union and MoneyGram are a safe bet if you need to get your money to where it needs to be in no time at all.
- Bank transfers. Many Canadian banks can facilitate a wire transfer to Qatar, but be aware that you’ll typically pay out the nose for the service.
- International cheques. For those who aren’t keen to delve into the world of tech, you can also opt to send money using an international cheque or bank draft that you post overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Qatar
When you need to send an emergency cash transfer to Qatar, you can send a transfer with a cash transfer service like Western Union or MoneyGram. You will typically find that this service costs significantly more than a dedicated money transfer service. Despite their high cost in comparison to other services, cash transfers can prove invaluable under strenuous circumstances, provided you know what you’re getting into.
Cash pickup locations in Qatar
- Western Union. Receive cash in minutes at locations across Doha.
- Moneygram. Collect cash instantly at locations across Doha or with Ooredoo Mobile Money.
- WorldRemit. Pick up cash at any Xpress Money affiliated branches.
Tips for picking up cash in Qatar
If you happen to stumble through Qatar in the near future, the Government of Canada recommends that you exercise a high degree of caution (as of 12 July 2018). The crime rate is low and violence is rare, but petty crime can occur, including banking and credit card fraud. Ensure that personal belongings and passports and other travel documents are secure at all times. If you happen to need to pick up cash, make an effort to enlist a friend to accompany you during daylight hours. It’s also good practice to make sure that you know the neighborhood where you will be picking up cash is safe, and try to get back to your hotel as soon as possible to secure your cash in a safe deposit box.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Qatar?
- Sign up for an account. Start by registering for an account online with one of the providers outlined in the comparison table at the top of the page (simply click “Go to Site” to get started).
- Provide personal details. Input personal details, which include full name, contact information, proof of ID and bank account details, for both you and your recipient.
- Enter transaction details. Supply information about how much money you plan to send, to where and in what currency.
- Confirm your transaction. Review the details and cost of your transfer, and confirm your transaction. Use the transaction reference number provided to monitor the progress of your funds.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.