Besides its status as a wealthy, socio-politically stable country, the Netherlands is also one of Australia’s biggest and most important financial partners.
Sending money between the two countries can be cheap and easy with the right transfer company.
In Australia, the Dutch constitute the second-largest group of non-British expats in the country. In terms of demographics, Australia and the Netherlands are similar in that they’re among the most liberal and cosmopolitan countries in the world. The Dutch-Australian community counts around 335,000 members, around 80,000 of which were born in the Netherlands.
As in the case with South Africa and parts of South America, Dutch explorers were among the first foreigners to set foot on Australian soil in the 1600s. In fact, for part of the 18th and 19th centuries, Australia was actually known as New Holland. Today, the two countries are fast trading partners – so much so that the Netherlands is Australia’s largest export market after the UK.
Compare International Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
Heidi just moved from Amere to Brisbane with her husband and her twin daughters. Her extended family still lives in the Netherlands, and they often send cash gifts for the little girls. Heidi is always on the look-out for cheaper, quicker ways to send money between the Netherlands and Australia.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 = 0.63€||$1 = 0.63|
|Amount received for $500||317€||310€|
|Transfer time||Within 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer options||Online transfer to bank account||Bank transfer|
Heidi saves $17 because she took the time to compare two online transfer services. While the turnaround time and exchange are the same, there’s a $6 difference in the service fee levied.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via the Netherlands?
Comparing fees and delivery timeframes is important when considering money transfer options.
- Exchange rates. The aim is to find a service that will transfer your money at the most competitive exchange rate and charge minimal – or zero – transfer fees. Some transfer services offer lower or waived fees for bigger amounts while still maintaining a competitive exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Depending on the service, money can either be delivered via courier, collected in person at an agency or deposited directly into the recipient’s account.
- Transfer methods. Money can transferred online, between bank accounts or via a direct cash deposit at the transfer service’s agency. Choose a method that suits both you and the recipient.
- Fees. The fees depend on the service and how you send the money. Some services charge a flat rate irrespective of the amount, while others vary the fee according to how much you send.
- Turnaround time. Depending on the transfer service and method you choose, delivery time can be anywhere between an hour and three to five days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Most transfer services start with minimum amounts of between $1 and $10. In some cases, fees are charged for amount brackets (for example, a $4 fee for between $1 and $200).
- Customer service. While money transfer websites are usually quite user-friendly, it’s important that they have an effective and competent customer service.
How do I send money to the Netherlands from Australia?
You can send money to the Netherlands via the following ways:
- Bank to bank. Send money between bank accounts with an IBAN (International Bank Account Number) or a SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) code.
- Money transfer services. While some Australian banks offer online transfers to the Netherlands, money transfer services facilitate different types of transfers. You can send money online, cash-to-cash transfer and online to cash or delivery.
- Cash transfers. Most money transfer services allow for cash pick-ups at their agencies. The charges might be slightly higher than other transfer methods, so be sure to compare fees and delivery delays.
How do I receive money from the Netherlands in Australia?
There are several quick, easy ways to send money to Australia from the Netherlands. Here are a few to consider:
- Western Union. Send money online as a deposit into the recipient’s account or for recipient to collect in person at an agency.
- OzForex. If you’re transferring a minimum of $1,000, OzForex will send your money via BPAY or electronic funds transfer.
- World First. Send your money to the agency online and they send out to your recipient’s bank account.
Emergency cash transfers in the Netherlands
If you’re in a tight spot and need money sent to the Netherlands in a hurry, there are a few transfer methods that guarantee quick – sometimes instant – delivery.
- Bank transfers. The quickest way to get money into your account is via bank transfer. The process itself can be completed in 10 minutes and the money lands in your account on the same day – sometimes just an hour later.
- Cash pick-ups. Collect your money from the money transfer service’s local agency. This way you can collect cash in person within minutes of it being sent.
Cash pickup locations in the Netherlands/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in the Netherlands
Below are a few pick-up locations for money sent via Western Union and MoneyGram.
- Aboudi Korte
Leidsedwarsstraat 74 Links Amsterdam,
North Holland 1017RD
Open Monday to Sunday 10am to 10pm
- GWK Travellex
Leidseplein 31a Amsterdam,
Open Monday to Sunday 10:15am to 5:45pm
- SSS Mobile
Jonker Fransstraat 88a Rotterdam,
South Holland 3031AX
Open Monday to Saturday 8:30 am to 6pm, Sunday 12pm to 5pm
- C and Go Shop
Zuid Holland 3031AN
Open Monday to Saturday 8am to 6pm, Sunday 10am to 5pm
- Sunro Change BV
Amsterdam, 1012 LH
+31 20 4270260
Open Monday to Sunday 8:20am to 10:15pm
- Kaah Express
Rotterdam, 3074 EH
+31 10 4861555
Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm
- MoneyGram Agent Shop
Rotterdam, 3013 AM
Open Monday to 8:45am to 7:30pm
Tips for picking up cash in the Netherlands
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises a normal level of safety precautions while in the Netherlands. While crime is relatively low, there is a heightened threat of terrorism. If you’re going to collect cash at a money transfer agency, try and take someone with you. Be sure to get there during office hours so you don’t have to wait around by yourself until they open.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to the Netherlands?
Depending on the service you choose, you’ll need to provide some or all of the following information:
- Positive identification
- Your email address
- The recipient’s name, address and bank account details
- The amount you’d like to send
The bank or transfer service will send you a confirmation email or give you a receipt if you’ve made the transfer in person. Thanks to a variety of money-transfer agencies facilitating international transfers to Netherlands you have several options at your disposal.