Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Nepal
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Nepal.
From Pokhara to Kathmandu, find out which money transfer services can help you out.
In this guide, we’ll go through how you can get the most out of your transfer, plus all the tips and tricks to make sending money to Nepal a breeze.
Compare money transfer services for Nepal
Use the interactive table below to see what your transfer will look like with each of the providers. You can compare minimum transfer amounts, fees and the exchange rate that each service offers.
How to send money to Nepal in a few simple steps
- Choose your service. Not all money transfer services send money to Nepal from Canada. Use our table to see which ones do and compare exchange rates, transfer fees and more.
- Create an account. This usually involves providing some form of identification, like your driver’s licence or passport, and proof of address.
- Pick your payment method. You can typically choose to pay with your bank account, credit card or debit card.
- Choose your delivery method. Do you want to send money directly to your recipient’s bank account, to their mobile phone or arrange a cash pick-up in Kathmandu, Pokhara or Patan?
- Enter your transaction details. This includes the transfer amount, the currency you’re sending and the recipient’s information.
- Review your transfer. Make sure the receiver’s details are correct. You can also review the final exchange rate and any other fees.
- Send your funds. The money will be deposited into your recipient’s account in Nepal.
- Receive email/SMS confirmation. This will include your tracking number and a confirmation of your transfer. If the recipient is picking up cash, they’ll need to present this at collection.
How to compare money transfer services
- Exchange rates. These will vary depending on the money transfer service you use. Check out the mid-market rate on Google or Reuters to see if you’re getting a good deal. Even an exchange rate that’s only a few cents more or less can make a big difference.
- Convenient pick-up methods. Some transfer services will offer cash pick-up, which might be important if you’re sending the money to a travelling relative who needs emergency cash, or a relative who lives in Nepal and doesn’t have a bank account. Other methods might include transferring to a bank account or mobile wallet.
- Flexible transfer methods. Some services will allow you to transfer money online, over the phone, or at specific kiosks such as MoneyGram or Western Union. Ensure you choose a service that has a convenient transfer method for you.
- Short transfer times. Cash pick-up is one of the fastest transfer methods, especially if you’re paying by card, but it can mean higher fees. Transfers to bank accounts usually take between one and five days depending on the service, but often end up cheaper.
- Transfer amount limits. While most transfer services have large maximum limits, some will have minimum transfer amounts, which can be as small as $1 or as large as $1,000. Keep this in mind if you’re planning on making a smaller transfer.
- Reliable customer service. If you’ll be using the service regularly, it’s a good idea to choose a provider with 24/7 customer service options. This includes phone, email and live chat support to help you along the way.
Exchange rates explainedAn exchange rate determines how much one currency is worth in another currency. When a currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it for a weaker currency. Nepal’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment due to factors such as interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Below, you can see a real-time update of what the mid-market rate for CAD/NPR is, as well as what it has been historically.
CAD to NPR: Historical rate chart
What ways can I send money to Nepal?
- Local bank. You’ll need to speak to your bank to see if they offer money transfers to Nepal. Generally, you’ll be hit with higher fees and a worse exchange rate than most online money transfer services.
- PayPal. PayPal is well known for making international payments, but beware of the many fees charged at different stages of the process.
- Money transfer specialist. These services often have better exchange rates, lower fees and more flexible delivery options than your local bank. They’re mostly online, so you can’t go into a kiosk or a branch to transfer.
- Services with cash pick-up. Often the fastest method of transferring money, but one of the more expensive.
- International cheque. These can be found at your local post office or bank and are sent by mail, making the process quite slow.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Two money transfer companies compared
Let’s look at how two money transfer companies compare head-to-head. Both of these transfers are for $1,000 to be sent from a bank account in Canada to a bank account in Nepal.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||CAD $1 = NPR 81.0486||CAD $1 = NPR 81.7015|
|Transfer speed||1-2 business days||1 business day|
|Total rupees received||NPR 80,724.41||NPR 81,292.99|
|Receiver gats||NPR 568.59 less||NPR 568.59 more|
This is a good example of why you should look at both the fees and the exchange rate. Here, despite the second transfer service having a higher fee, the receiver still ends up with more because the exchange rate is quite a bit better.
Emergency cash transfers in Nepal
If you’ve lost your wallet and require emergency cash in Nepal, there are a few methods you can use to get some sent to you.
- Transfer service with cash pick-up options. Companies like WorldRemit, MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to pick up cash from designated locations (mentioned in the section below). This can be sent from Canada and made available within 10 minutes. You can have money sent to you online using the transfer service’s website.
- Emergency cash through your credit card company. Some credit card companies will give you a small amount of cash if your card is reported as lost or stolen. This cash is designed to help you pay for essentials in the time it takes for your bank to send you a replacement card. To organize this, contact your bank using their dedicated card theft/loss phone line.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance plan might provide you with emergency cash in the event of a medical emergency, theft or other circumstances. In most cases, you’ll have to provide proof of the emergency, including police reports and more if theft occurred. Always check your policy’s Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) before travelling to ensure you’ll be covered.
Tips for picking up cash in Nepal
Global Affairs Canada states that travellers visiting Nepal should “exercise a high degree of caution”. You should closely monitor your belongings and know that local strikes can occur without notice, meaning that the businesses you’re hoping to pick up money from may be closed. Make sure you don’t pick up cash alone, and always visit the GAC website for updates and information regarding safety and security.
Cash pick-up locations in Nepal
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
CBD Oil Canada coupon codes October 2021
Check out these discount codes and see how much you could save on the varied catalogue of products available at CBD Oil Canada.
310-LOAN payday loan review
Borrow up to $1,500 from 310-LOAN with no credit check.
E-transfer payday loans
Find out which licensed lenders can e-transfer payday loans.
Best cheap stocks to buy now
Stock trading doesn’t have to be expensive. Using Finder’s proprietary algorithm, we’ve identified the best cheap Canadian and US stocks to buy now.
How to send money home for the holidays from Canada
SPONSORED: How you can save when sending money abroad for festive occasions with Simplii Financial.
Easy payday loans
Payday loans are considered easy to get, but they’re also expensive. Before you apply, here’s what you need to know.
How to buy Ethereum (ETH) with Credit Card
Credit cards are a popular way for buying Ethereum (ETH). Learn how you can do the same by reading this guide
Payday loans with government benefits
Find out where you can apply for payday loans with government benefits.
How to buy Solana (SOL) in 5 steps
Learn how to buy Solana (SOL) with this step-by-step guide and compare various supported cryptocurrency exchanges.
Best stock trading apps in Canada
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, use this guide to compare the best stock trading app options in Canada and choose the one that’s best for you.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.