Send your money to family, friends and businesses in tiny Macau (Macao SAR), China.
Macau, officially known as the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR), is an autonomous territory of China. Because of the booming business in Macau, particularly around casinos, many Canadians both trade and work with businesses in the nation.
With Canadian migrants living in Macau and vice versa, there is a need to transfer money between the two nations. While many Canadian banks do allow transfers between Macau and Canada, there are also plenty of specialist money transfer services that offer fast and affordable ways to transfer money between the two countries.
Read our guide to find out more information.
Speak to an FX Expert
How to compare money transfer companies when you need to send money internationally
Kan’s business was fuelled by the extreme gaming and gambling culture in the Macao SAR area. Now, at the young age of 25, Kan’s gaming industry startup has merged with a big gaming industry supplier in Canada.
Kan has arranged with his parents that he will send them money transfers during his stay in Canada. He uses a standard amount of $1,000 CAD so that he can compare his different options in sending money to his parents in Macao SAR.
Unfortunately many money transfer companies cannot send money in the local MOP currency, other than Western Union. Other companies can send the money in Hong Kong dollars (HKD) and then it can be exchanged into MOP.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||$1 CAD = 6.1980 HKD (around 6.19 MOP)||$1 CAD = 5.9640 HKD (around 6.14 MOP)|
|Transfer fee||CAD$50 CAD||CAD$25|
|Amount of MOP received in Macau for 1,000 CAD||HKD6,198.01(around MOP6383.74)||HKD4771.17 (around MOP4914.14)|
|Transfer options||Phone, online or agent||Online Account|
|Difference in MOP||+ MOP1,469.60|
What variables can Kan use to do an effective comparison study on sending money to Macau?
- Exchange rates. Before settling on an exchange rate, make sure you compare different companies in order to find the best rate. Ask for a quote since many companies display an inter-bank rate on their site and not the rate they will quote themselves.
- Pick-up methods. Pick-up methods can either be a cash pick-up at an agent location or the transfer can be received in a bank account.
- Fees. Fees can be fairly simple to compare, but since Macao is in China, it becomes more difficult with some companies. Do research on previous case studies where individuals made use of a service that doesn’t state its cost and whether it was a deal-breaker or complemented the overall experience. Companies like MoneyGram and Western Union will state their fees up front.
- Bank-to-bank benefits. There are not any notable banks that have branches in both Canada and Macau for bank-to-bank benefits.
- Turnaround time. The expected turnaround time for using a money transfer service or your local bank varies between a couple of minutes and two to four working days.
- Transfer methods. If you are planning on doing regular payments, creating an online account with a money transfer company is a wise move. The available services offer online, phone and branch methods to initiate the payment.
- Transfer options. The transfer options include one-off payments, regular payments and forwarded contracts.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. Minimum transfer amounts range from $0 to CAD$10 and maximums can be as high as CAD$10,000 or higher. When comparing your options, look out for limits on how much per day or per week you can transfer.
- Customer service. The available options of companies to choose from when sending money to Macau might be limited, but customer support is not. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram have great customer support and can mostly help you on the phone, by email, in person at a branch and even over online chat. This is one of the biggest decision-making factors when it comes to covering your risk.
How can you send and receive money between Macau, China and Canada?
Money transfer service
Due to the geographical situation that Macao SAR finds itself in, most companies focus on China and surrounding countries more than Macao SAR. This means there are only a limited amount of companies that can send money there. Moneygram and Western Union send money to Macau, but only Western Union sends it in the local supported MOP currency.
Another service that is not listed on the finder site is TransferMate, which requires online registration. Visit any of the Moneygram and Western Union locations listed below in the article to send money to Canada from Macao SAR.
What you need to know about emergency cash transfers to Macao SAR
Emergency cash transfers can be sent to Macao SAR using the same services as listed above. Moneygram and Western Union are dependable companies that transfer money within a couple of minutes. This money is then ready for cash pick-up at a specified location in the destination country.
Cash pick-up locations in Macau using Moneygram and Western Union
- Shop of communications museum
Estrada De D. Maria IiNo. 7, Macau,
Monday to Sunday 9am to 5:30pm
- Marine terminal post office
Area De Chegadas Res Do Chao DoTerminal Maritimo Do Porto Exterior, Macau,
Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm, closed on Sundays
- Almirante Lacerda (Red Market) Post OFC
Avenida Do Ouvidor ArriageNo. 96, Edf. Centro Com. Camoes R/c -a, Macau Sar,
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm,
closed on Saturdays and Sundays
- MoneyGram (inside Bdo Remit (Macau) Limited)
Avenida De D. Joao Iv No. 2A
Unit 6-B China Plaza Bldg U, Macau
+853 2837 4385
Monday to Sunday, 9am to 7pm
Tips for picking up cash in Macau
Macau is classified as a relatively safe area by the Canadian Government. However, there are yearly reports of incidents of petty crimes on tourists and people carrying valuable goods. This means that you must exercise caution when you do a cash pick-up at an agent or you withdraw money from an ATM.
What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macau?
To send money to a bank account in Macao SAR, you will need to provide the following beneficiary details:
- The bank name in Macao SAR, China
- The basic beneficiary details
- The account number of the beneficiary’s bank
- SWIFT/BIC details
- The exact amount of funds and the type of currency
When you are sending money for a cash pick-up to a recipient:
- The address of the recipient or the address of the agent for pick-up
- Basic details of the recipient
- The correct amount and currency that you are sending
What will you need when you are at a Moneygram or Western Union branch in Macau to pick up the cash?
- Your photo ID
- The tracking or reference number (called an MTCN by Western Union)
- Copy of the transaction receipt as an added safety measure