Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Kuwait
Save time and money when transferring money to Kuwait from Canada.
Save money when sending money to Kuwait by comparing several money transfer specialists able to handle your transaction. Take into consideration the exchange rates, transfer fees and features each company offers to help narrow down the best deal for your transfer.
Compare services that send money to Kuwait
Use our comparison table to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Kuwait with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
What’s the best way to send money to Kuwait?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Kuwait. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you’ll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient’s Kuwait bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram, WorldRemit and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Kuwait — often in 15 minutes. While it’s a fast way to send money, you’ll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
Kuwaiti dinars are not a popular currency, but your local bank may be able to exchange them. If your bank supports Kuwaiti dinars, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Kuwait.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Kuwait
Let’s say you need to send $1,000 to family in Kuwait. Here’s what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of October 29, 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$3.99||$50 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 0.219 KWD||1 CAD = 0.218 KWD||1 CAD = 0.189 KWD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||KWD 219||KWD 217||KWD 180|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Kuwait. If you go with the digital money transfer service, your recipient ends up with KWD 39 more than the bank offers. If speed is crucial, or your recipient wants to pick up cash, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Kuwait in as little as 15 minutes. Confirm there is a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Kuwait online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient’s contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you’ll need their Kuwait bank account details.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt’s confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Kuwait. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Kuwait
- Bank transfers. Many major Canadian banks will allow you to send money to Kuwait.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like XE and CurrencyTransfer can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union, WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Canada to Kuwait.
- Cheques and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international cheque or money order overseas, obtained from your bank or Canada Post.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Kuwait
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Kuwait to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The CAD-KWD relationship fluctuates often, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Kuwaiti dinar rises against the Canadian dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger CAD-KWD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Kuwaiti dinar you’re sending to Kuwait.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Kuwait.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you’re sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Kuwait bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Kuwait
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Kuwait quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Kuwait without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don’t have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Kuwait’s exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Kuwait’s exchange rate is flexible compared to the Canadian dollar, but the CAD-KWD relationship typically doesn’t make sharp, drastic movements. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Kuwait
To send money to Kuwait from Canada, you’ll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Kuwait may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Canada
To send money from Canada to Kuwait, you’ll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued ID. Some services allow you to send transfers without ID, but they may require your SIN.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal cheques.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient’s name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Kuwait bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Kuwait
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer’s confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Kuwait Passport, Kuwait ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender’s information. Take along your sender’s full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
When you send money to family members in Kuwait, the money may be subject to taxes but it depends on a lot of variables. In general, you won’t have to report any amount of money to the CRA that you transfer out of Canada. But it’s still a good idea to keep all records of transfers just in case.
Sending your hard-earned money to Kuwait shouldn’t cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Investing in car stocks
Top car stocks and ETFs that track the category.
Cash Money Line of Credit review
Need access to cash? Cash Money lines of credit offer flexibility to borrow as much or as little as you need, up to a maximum of $10,000.
How to buy Deliveroo (ROO.L) stock in Canada
Canadian investors will need an international stock trading account to invest in this popular British delivery service.
How to buy Conduit Holdings (CRE.L) stock in Canada
Investors in Canada will need an international brokerage account to buy Conduit Holdings stock.
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
Best stock trading apps in Canada
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, compare the best trading apps in Canada to choose the one that’s best for you.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Alternatives to Robinhood in Canada
Robinhood isn’t available in Canada, but there are a number of popular Canadian alternatives on the market.
Compare Car Loans
Compare the best car loans in Canada to get on the road faster and keep more money in your pocket.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.