Comparing your transfer options can save you money when you need to send funds to Jordan from Canada.
Almost 10,000 Canadians have Jordanian ancestry, creating a need for affordable ways to send money between the two countries. Furthermore, the tourism industry in Jordan has been on the rise since the early 2000’s. Whether you need to send money to loved ones or help out a friend travelling through Jordan, there are a few different ways to send money to this small nation.
If you have never done it before, sending money overseas can be a costly and stressful exercise, as high transfer fees and poor exchange rates combine to eat into your hard-earned dollars. With this in mind, it’s vital that you compare a range of transfer services before deciding on the right one for your needs.
Compare money transfer services below
Speak to a FX Expert
Banks versus money transfer companies
If you’re considering using your bank to help you send an international money transfer to Jordan, you should consider other options first. Banks are infamous for offering poor exchange rates and charging ridiculous fees for overseas transfers, so even a small transfer can end up costing a whole lot more than it should.
When you need to send money to Jordan, take the time to consider the features and services offered by specialist online money transfer companies. These providers, such as WorldRemit, offer fast, efficient and affordable transfers to Jordan and many other countries. Their exchange rates and fees usually combine to create a much better deal than you could get from a bank, so weigh up all of your options before you part with any of your money.
Case Study: Jenny sends money to Jordan
Jenny’s sister has lost her purse and is stranded in Jordan with barely $40 to her name. Never one for planning ahead, she asks Jenny to send her $1,000 Canadian dollars as quickly as possible. Jenny compares the services of an online money transfer provider and a cash pickup transfer company to see which one offers a more attractive financial deal.
|Online money transfer provider||Cash pickup transfer provider|
|Exchange rate||$1 CAD = 0.5538 JOD||$1 CAD = 0.5543 JOD|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Cash pickup transfer|
|Processing time||One to three days||Ten minutes|
|Amount received (in JOD)||553.82 JOD||554.26 JOD|
As you can see, while the cash pickup transfer provider offers much faster transactions, Jenny can save $35 in transfer fees by using an online money transfer company. Although using the cash transfer provider allows her to send less than 1 JOD more, this is less than $2, which Jenny can make up with the much cheaper fees offered. Jenny decides to send the money with the online transfer service.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Jordan?
- Exchange rates. Exchange rates can vary substantially between different companies, so look at the rates offered by a range of providers to see how they compare. Even a difference in one cent can have a huge impact on the amount of money your recipient gets.
- Transfer fees. Many companies with impressive exchange rates will charge you high fees, so it’s important to look for a provider that offers a good combination of a competitive exchange rate and low transaction fees.
- Transfer methods. Some companies only offer online transfers or in-branch transfers, while others may offer both of these along with phone and mobile app transfers.
- Flexible options. Limit orders and forward contracts can be used to achieve the exchange rate you desire, while scheduling regular payments in advance can save you time. Check to see which providers offer these options.
- Amount limits. Some companies impose minimum and maximum limits on each transfer you send, so check to see what those limits are and whether or not they suit your needs.
- Pickup options. Will your recipient receive a direct bank account deposit or can they pick up cash from a transfer company branch?
- Turnaround time. Compare transaction processing times to see which provider can get your funds to their destination in a timely fashion. Some companies can send funds in just minutes, while others may take three to five business days or more.
- Customer service. If you have a problem with a transfer, will you be able to access customer assistance quickly? You may be able to email, web chat, telephone or speak to someone in person, depending on the company.
How do I send money to Jordan from Canada?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Certain money transfer providers, such as FairFX, will offer fast and affordable transfers to Jordan.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are the best-known providers of this type of transfer. Both companies have hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide.
- Bank transfers. Your bank can help you send money from Canada to Jordan quickly and easily, but sending via your bank will often cost you more.
- International cheques. An international guaranteed cheque from your bank can be posted to your recipient in Jordan. Keep in mind that this is the slowest way to send money overseas.
How do I receive money from Jordan in Canada?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Shop around to discover which money transfer providers offer transactions from Jordan to Canada.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram both have a large number of cash pickup branches across both Canada and Jordan.
- Bank transfers. You may wish to send a transfer direct from a Jordanian bank account to a bank account in Canada. This may incur high fees.
- International cheques. Watch out for any fees and charges you will incur when banking an international cheque. As mentioned above, this is the slowest way to send money overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Jordan
If you need to send money to Jordan as quickly as possible, there are several companies that offer emergency cash transfers. Just be aware of the fact that fast transfers will usually cost you a little extra as they usually attract higher transfer fees and less competitive exchange rates than regular transactions. Make sure to double check the full cost of your transfer before deciding whether it’s the best option for you.
Cash pickup locations in Jordan/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Jordan
Western Union and MoneyGram operate large money transfer networks around the globe, including several locations in Jordan. You can transfer money from Canada to Jordan quickly and your recipient can then collect the cash from a Western Union or MoneyGram location. They’ll need photo ID and a transaction reference number when they go to pick up the funds, as well as the amount of money that has been sent. The details of some popular cash pickup locations in Jordan can be found below.
- Akash SW Exchange
Sweifieh Wakalat St Amman,
Open 9am to 11pm seven days
- Al Alami Gardenz Exchange
Gardenz St Amman,
Open 8:30am to 8:30pm Thursday and Saturday to Monday, open 8:30am to 11:59pm Tuesday and Wednesday
- Housing Bank for T and F
Autostrad Zarqaa Branch
Wadi Al Hajar
Alzarqa, Alzarqa 00962
Open 8am to 3:30pm Sunday to Thursday
- Housing Bank for T and F
Main St Opposite Yajouz Triangle
Al Zarqa, Al Zarqa
Open 8:30am to 3pm Sunday to Thursday
- Jordan Ahli Bank
Rida St Downtown
Amman City Centre, 11118
Open Sunday to Friday 8am to 11:30pm, Saturday 11am to 3:30pm
- Future Exchange Co.
14 Alrabieh Market – beside Bank of Jordan
Open 9am to 5:30pm Sunday to Thursday
- Capital Bank of Jordan
36 st. Al Kurdi building
Open 9:30am to 11:30pm Sunday to Thursday, 12pm to 11:59pm Friday and Saturday
- Jordan Ahli Bank – Sahab
Sahab Main Street
Open 8am to 3:30pm Saturday to Thursday
Tips for picking up cash in Jordan
The Government of Canada recommends that travellers to Jordan exercise a high degree of caution. There are also several other simple steps you can take to ensure your safety when picking up a cash transfer:
- Take a friend along with you
- Avoid any dangerous areas
- Withdraw money during the daytime
- Keep your cash hidden
- Don’t carry the money for any longer than is necessary
- Deposit any excess funds into your bank account or a safe place
What are the steps to send money to Jordan?
You’ll need to check with the transfer provider you choose to discover the exact process for sending funds overseas, but in most cases you will have to do the following:
- Sign up for an account. You can usually do this quickly and for free online. You’ll need to provide your full name, contact details, proof of ID and payment information.
- Enter your transaction details. Provide information about where you’re sending the money, how much money you’re sending and in what currency. You will also need to supply your recipient’s full name and contact details.
- Complete your transaction. Check over the details of your transfer and then pay for your transaction. You will receive a reference number which can be used to monitor the progress of your funds.