A comparison of XE and PayPal money transfer providers. Which offers better fees and exchange rates? Find out here. Read more…
How to send money to Jordan
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Jordan.
With a growing number of Canadians traveling to Jordan and over 10,000 Jordanian descendants in Canada, there is a growing need for affordable and convenient ways to transfer funds between the two countries. Check out our handy money transfer guide if you’re looking to send money to Jordan in the near future to find the most competitive exchange rates and lowest fees.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
WorldRemit can help you get your money where it needs to go in minutes, with upfront exchange rates and low fees.
Use promo code FINDERCA on your first transfer and pay zero fees. T&Cs apply.
- Transfers to 150+ countries
- Send to bank account, cash pickup, mobile money, airtime top up
- Pay with card, Interac or Apple/Android Pay
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
If you’re considering using your bank to help you send an international money transfer to Jordan, it’s vital that you compare a wide range of transfer services before laying down your hard-earned dollars.
- Bank. Banks are notorious for offering mediocre exchange rates and charging high fees (typically between $20 and $100) on international transfers, so even a small transfer can end up costing an arm and a leg.
- Money transfer company. If you’re looking for a more affordable option, consider the services provided by a dedicated online money transfer company like OFX or World First. These companies offer quick and affordable transactions to thousands of destinations around the globe, with low fees (typically between $0 and $20) and competitive exchange rates.
Case Study: Jenny sends money to Jordan
Jenny’s sister Elizabeth has lost her purse and is stranded in Jordan with barely $40 to her name. While Elizabeth has asked to borrow some money from her traveling companion, she knows she needs to find another way to get her hands on some fast cash. She calls her older sister Jenny and asks her to send $1,000 to Jordan until she can replace her lost cards.Jenny compares the services of an online money transfer provider and a cash pickup transfer company to see which one offers a more attractive deal.
|Online money transfer provider||Cash pickup transfer provider|
|Exchange rate||$1 CAD = 0.54 JOD||$1 CAD = 0.52 JOD|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Cash pickup transfer|
|Processing time||1 – 3 days||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in JOD)||JOD 540||JOD 520|
As you can see, while the cash pick-up transfer provider offers a much faster transfer, Jenny can save $35 in transfer fees by using an online money transfer company. She can also save JOD 20 (around $36) in the exchange rates if she waits a few days for her transfer to process with the money transfer company. Jenny asks her sister if she can hold out for a couple of days to receive her transfer, and books her transaction with the money transfer company.
- Exchange rates. Exchange rates can vary substantially between different companies, so look at the rates offered by a range of providers to see how they compare. Even a difference of one cent can have a huge impact on the amount of money your recipient gets.
- Transfer fees. Many companies with impressive exchange rates will charge you high fees, so it’s important to look for a provider that offers a good combination of competitive exchange rates and low transaction fees.
- Transfer methods. Some companies only offer online transfers or in-branch transfers, while others may offer both of these along with phone and mobile app transfers.
- Flexible options. Limit orders and forward contracts can be used to achieve the exchange rate you desire, while scheduling regular payments in advance can save you time. Check to see which providers offer these options.
- Turnaround time. Compare transaction processing times to see how long it will take each provider to get your money into the hands of your recipient. Typically, tcash transfer companies take only minutes to send while other money transfer companies take between 1 – 3 days.
- Customer service. Some companies set the bar high when it comes to customer service, so make sure to settle on a service that will make sure your transfer ends up in the right place at the right time, no questions asked.
- Money transfer companies. Certain money transfer providers, such as TransferWise, will offer fast and affordable transfers to Jordan.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are some of the most reputable providers of this type of transfer. Both companies have hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide.
- Bank transfers. Banks can often send wire transfers from Canada to Jordan with ease, but will typically charge a steep transfer fee for the service (sometimes exceeding $50).
- International cheques. Post an international guaranteed cheque to Jordan from your bank, so long as your willing to wait a couple of weeks for the money to land on your recipient’s doorstep.
If you need to send money to Jordan as quickly as possible, there are several money transfer companies that offer emergency cash transfers, including MoneyGram and Western Union. Just be aware that fast transfers will usually cost you a little extra as they often attract higher transfer fees and less competitive exchange rates than regular transactions. Make sure to double check the full cost of your transfer before deciding whether it’s the best option for you.
The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian visitors to Jordan exercise a high degree of caution (as of 30 September 2018) . The crime rate is low by regional standards but petty crime occurs, especially at tourist sites and in crowded areas. Do not show signs of affluence and always keep your personal belongings, passports and travel documents secure. If you do need to collect cash, look for an agent location in a safe neighborhood and call ahead to make sure they’ll have cash on hand. Visit during daylight hours in the company of a good friend and return to your hotel to stow your cash in a safe place as quickly as possible.
Check with the transfer provider you choose to figure out the exact process for sending funds overseas. In most cases you will likely need to follow these basic steps.
- Sign up for an account. You can usually do this quickly and easily online. You’ll often need to provide your full name, contact details, proof of ID and payment information.
- Enter your transaction details. Provide information about where you’re sending the money, how much money you’re sending and in what currency. You will also need to supply your recipient’s full name and contact details.
- Complete your transaction. Check over the details of your transfer and then pay for your transaction. You will receive a reference number which can be used to monitor the progress of your funds.
You may also be interested in
Read our complete guide to dropshipping to discover how it works, how to find a reliable supplier and the pros and cons of this popular fulfilment method. Read more…
Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers. Read more…
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.