Discover cheap ways to send money from Canada to Indonesia.
Whether you are sending money home to pay bills or helping out family and friends, you can find inexpensive ways to transfer funds from Canada to Indonesia. Use the table below to compare options for sending money overseas to Indonesia.
Use the table headings to sort through products based on online fees, minimum transfer amounts and transfer speeds. To read a review about a product, click “More”. To be taken to the product website, click “Go to Site”.
Compare products for sending money to Indonesia
Case study: Banks vs money transfer companies – which is cheaper?
Ibu lives in Indonesia but has been given an opportunity to work in Canada for one year. Wanting to invest in a house in Indonesia upon her return, she decides that she is going to send at least $1,000 a month back home to her bank account in Indonesia.
When researching how to send money from Canada to Indonesia, Ibu finds that there are a number of different options for overseas money transfers. She decides to compare the pros and cons of using a Canadian bank vs a well known money transfer company.
|Canadian bank||Money transfer service provider|
|Current exchange rate||$1 CAD = 9,624.10 IDR||$1 CAD = 10,588.72 IDR|
|Fees for making the transfer||The bank charges $25 for each transfer, no matter how much money is being sent.||This service provider charges $30 for a cash pickup or $12 for a deposit into a bank account.|
|Amount of Indonesian Rupiah received for $1,000 Canadian dollars||IDR9,624,100||IDR10,462,934|
|Time it takes for transfer to complete||3-5 days.||Within minutes for a cash transfer or 1 to 2 days for a bank transfer.|
|Available options||This is only offered as a bank to bank transaction.||Ibu can choose to have the money sent to a family member as cash or straight to her bank account.|
What is the difference?
There is a difference of IDR838,834 between the bank and the dedicated money transfer service. However before coming to a decision, Ibu needs to look into the fees that each service charges. The fees for the cash transfer actually make the bank the less expensive option, but the transfer service provider gives a way better deal on bank to bank transactions, plus the exchange rate is higher. Ibu decides to choose the transfer service provider since she will save over $80 with the higher exchange rate alone.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to Indonesia?
When you research your options for sending money overseas, consider these features:
- A competitive exchange rate. The rate at which the currency is exchanged will make a big difference as to how much money actually arrives in Indonesia.
- Low to no fees. Compare fees charged by different providers and check to see if they offer a sliding fee based on how much is sent or if they charge a standard fee.
- Convenient pickup methods for your recipient. Consider the best way for you to transfer the money to your recipient. This may include companies who can send bank-to-bank transfers or offer cash pickup only.
- Fast transfer times. This is especially important if you must urgently send funds home to Indonesia. Some companies offer cash pickup in minutes, while others take hours or even days.
- Flexible transfer amounts. Some services will have minimum and maximum transfer amounts per transaction. If you plan on sending large money transfers to Indonesia, check to see what the limit is.
How do I send money to Indonesia from Canada?
There are many different ways to send money from Canada to Indonesia, from money service providers to bank or wire transfers. Here are some providers worth looking into:
- WorldRemit. You can send money with WorldRemit via bank transfers, mobile money transfers and cash transfers.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide. They will be able to make the transfer for cash pickup only. Canada Post has a partnership with MoneyGram, making it an easy and accessible option.
- Travelex. You can send money overseas using the Travelex money transfer service.
- Western Union. In business for over 150 years, Western Union offers money transfers from Canada to a bank account or for cash pickup.
What if I need an emergency cash transfer to Indonesia?
If you lose your wallet or it’s stolen while you are travelling in Indonesia, the first thing you should do is alert the police and obtain a police report. To replace the lost cash, you can consider the following options:
- Bank-to-bank transfer. You may be able to contact your Canadian bank and ask for money to be transferred to a bank in Indonesia. This option will most likely take a couple of days and you will have to pay fees along with a difference in exchange rate.
- An international money transfer with a cash pickup option. This is the fastest option as it involves having money sent from Canada to Indonesia using a money transfer service provider.
- Travel insurance emergency assist. Always purchase travel insurance before going on vacation. Your insurance policy may provide immediate coverage for lost or stolen cash.
Cash pickup locations in Indonesia
In Indonesia you’ll find a few locations for Western Union and MoneyGram, two cash transfer service companies that send money from Canada overseas. Before arriving at these locations, make sure that you have your identification and the tracking number for the transaction. You can also pick up cash when using WorldRemit at Bank Negara Indonesia (BNI) and PT Pos (the Indonesian post office).
Indomaret CBG Tangerang
TK Kembangan Raya 2 JL
Kembangan Raya NO 3B 3C
PT Andalusia Antar Benua
JL Batu Ampar I NO 2F
BimaPT Bank Danamon Indonesia TBKCBG Bima Soekarno Hatta
JL Soekarno Hatta N 83
PT Pegadaian Persero
UPC Kore DSN Sandue Rt11 Sandue Sanggar
BCA KYAI CaringinB&C19Jalan Balikpapan
Open 8:30 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday. Closed Saturday and Sunday
Cimb Niaga- Cibubur Junction
Cibubur Junction Mall Ground Floor
Blok T 11 Ji Jambore No 1Jakarta Timur, 0
Open Monday through Friday 8 am to 7 pm Saturday and Sunday closed.
BimaArthapos – Empang Sumbawa
KEC EmpangEmpang Sumbawa, 84384
Open Monday through Friday 8 am to 3 pm Saturday 8 am to 1 pm Sunday closed.
Bank Mega #163 KC Sumbawa
55 Jalan Diponegoro
Open Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 3 pm Saturday and Sunday closed.
Tips for picking up cash in Indonesia
The Government of Canada advises that you should exercise a high degree of caution when travelling to Indonesia. If you do need to pick up money at a bank or from a service provider branch, you should always stay alert and bring along someone you trust. Return immediately to your hotel and secure your cash before venturing out again.
What documentation do I need for my money transfer?
You have the option of bank transfers and cash transfer services when sending money to Indonesia. If you’re going to use a bank, make sure that your bank in Indonesia will accept the transfer from a Canadian bank. If using a cash transfer service provider, you’ll need to know the following:
- Your recipient’s full name. Companies are very cautious when handing over a cash transfer and will check that the name on the transfer is an exact match to the name on your recipient’s ID.
- Your tracking number. Your recipient will have to give the agent the tracking number for the transaction.
- Your recipient’s address and phone number. Make sure that you have full and the correct contact details for your recipient.
- Your recipient’s bank account number. If you are wiring the money to a bank, you’ll need to have the account number and routing number.
Save the paperwork that you receive after sending the transaction in case of any difficulties. You may need your receipt in case you run into any problems.
Whether you are making a big move to Canada or you simply need to send money to Indonesia, you will need to consider your options carefully and make comparisons to ensure that you’re getting the best value for your money.