Indonesian expats living in Australia can find cheap methods to send money back home.
Whether you’re sending a monetary gift to Indonesia or paying your monthly bill, you can find an inexpensive way to transfer funds overseas. Our handy table below can be used to compare options for sending money to Indonesia.
Use the table headings to sort through products based on online fees, minimum transfer amounts, and transfer speed. To read a review about a product, click ‘More’. To be taken to the product’s website, click ‘Go to Site’.
Compare products for sending money to Indonesia
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Ibu has spent her entire young life in Indonesia, but has now been given an opportunity to work abroad in Australia for one year. Wanting to be able to invest in a house in Indonesia on her return, she decides that she is going to send at least $1,000 AUD a month to her bank account in Indonesia.
When reading up on sending money from Australia to Indonesia, Ibu finds that there are a number of different choices in overseas transfers and decides to first compare the pros and cons of using an Australian bank vs a well known money transfer company.
|Australian bank||Money transfer service provider|
|Current exchange rate||9,832 IDR per 1 AUD||10,525.27 IDR for each Australian dollar.|
|Fees for making the transfer||The bank charges $22 for each transfer, no matter how much money is being sent.||This service provider charges $70 to the sender for a cash pickup or $10 for a deposit into a bank account.|
|Amount of Indonesian Rupiah received for $1,000 Australian dollars||9,832,000 IDR||10,525,272.15 would go towards the purchase of Ibu’s house.|
|Time it takes for transfer to complete||Typically two days to arrive at your destination bank and one additional business day for the Indonesian bank to complete the transfer.||Within minutes for a cash transfer or one to two days for a bank transfer.|
|Available options||This is only offered as a bank to bank transaction.||Ibu can choose to have the money sent to a family member as cash or straight to her bank account.|
What the difference?
There is a difference of 693,272.15 Rupiah between the two different types of providers. What Ibu needs to do now is look into the differences in the fees before coming to a conclusion. The fees for the cash transfer actually make the bank the less expensive option in that case, but the transfer service provider gives the better deal on bank to bank transactions.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to Indonesia?
When you begin your own investigation, look into this list of features:
- A competitive exchange rate. The rate at which the currency is exchanged will make a big difference in how much money actually arrives in Indonesia.
- Little to no fees. All services will charge some type of fee. Not only will you want to compare this, but you will have to check if it is a sliding fee based on how much is sent.
- Convenient pickup methods for your recipient. For Ibu, who would benefit most from a bank to bank transfer, the fact that the service company also allows for this could save her a lot of money.
- Short transfer times. This is especially important if you are asked to send money to cover the cost of an emergency in your home in Indonesia.
- Flexible transfer amounts. Some services will have a minimum transfer amount and a maximum per transaction. If you plan on making large money transfers to Indonesia, check to see what the cap is.
How do I send money to Indonesia from Australia?
You will have a variety of choices when looking into sending money from Australia to Indonesia, plus you have the option of a bank or wire transfer company. Here are some of the providers worth looking into:
- WorldRemit. You can send money to WorldRemit via bank transfer, mobile money transfers and cash transfers.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram is a company located in both Australia and Indonesia. They will be able to make the transfer, but only for cash pickup.
- Citibank. Citibank fulfils a number of international services including overseas wire transfers.
- Travelex. You can send money to Indonesia using Travelex’s money transfer service.
- Western Union. In business for over 150 years, Western Union offers money transfers from Australia to a bank account or for cash pickup.
What if I need an emergency cash transfer to Indonesia?
If you are travelling in Indonesia and lose your wallet or it is stolen, the first thing you should do is alert the police and obtain a police report. To replace the cash that you lost, you can look into the following methods.
- Bank to-bank transfer. You may be able to contact your Australian bank and ask for money to be transferred to one in Indonesia. This option will most likely take a couple of days and you will have to pay fees along with a difference in exchange rate.
- An international money transfer with a cash pickup option. This is your fastest option as it involves having money sent from Australia to Indonesia using a money transfer service provider.
- Travel insurance emergency assist. An Australian should not be travelling to Indonesia without a traveller’s insurance policy. This may offer you immediate coverage for lost or stolen cash.
Cash pickup locations in Indonesia
Here you will find a few locations for Western Union and MoneyGram, two cash transfer service companies that transfer money from Australia to Indonesia. Before arriving at these locations make sure that you have your identification and the tracking number for the transaction. You can also pick up cash when using WorldRemit at Bank Negara Indonesia (BNI) and PT Pos (the Indonesian post office).
Indomaret CBG Tangerang
TK Kembangan Raya 2 JL
Kembangan Raya NO 3B 3C
PT Andalusia Antar Benua
JL Batu Ampar I NO 2F
BimaPT Bank Danamon Indonesia TBKCBG Bima Soekarno Hatta
JL Soekarno Hatta N 83
PT Pegadaian Persero
UPC Kore DSN Sandue Rt11 Sandue Sanggar
BCA KYAI CaringinB&C19Jalan Balikpapan
Open 8:30 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday. Closed Saturday and Sunday
Cimb Niaga- Cibubur Junction
Cibubur Junction Mall Ground Floor
Blok T 11 Ji Jambore No 1Jakarta Timur, 0
Open Monday through Friday 8 am to 7 pm Saturday and Sunday closed.
BimaArthapos – Empang Sumbawa
KEC EmpangEmpang Sumbawa, 84384
Open Monday through Friday 8 am to 3 pm Saturday 8 am to 1 pm Sunday closed.
Bank Mega #163 KC Sumbawa
55 Jalan Diponegoro
Open Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 3 pm Saturday and Sunday closed.
Tips for picking up cash in Indonesia
When travelling to Indonesia it is recommended by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade that you exercise a high degree of caution. This means that if you do need to pick up money at one of these locations you should always stay alert and bring along someone you trust. Return immediately to your lodgings and secure your cash before venturing out again.
What documentation do I need for my money transfer?
You have the option of bank transfers and cash transfer services when sending money to Indonesia. If you are going to use a bank, make sure that your bank in Indonesia will accept the transfer from an Australian bank. If using a cash transfer service provider you will need to know the following about your recipient:
- Your full name. These companies are very cautious when handing over a cash transfer and will check that the name on the transfer is an exact match for the name on your recipients identification.
- Keep your tracking number. Your recipient will have to give the agent the tracking number for the transaction.
- Your recipient’s address and phone number. Make sure that you have full and correct contact details for your recipient.
- Recipient bank account number. If you are wiring the money to a bank, you will need to have the account number and routing number.
Save the paperwork that you receive after initiating the transaction in case of any difficulties.
When making a big move to a new country, even if temporarily, you want to make sure that you have means to still maintain your life back in Indonesia. Consider your options carefully and make comparisons to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.