Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Haiti
Compare ways to send a fast, secure and low-cost money transfer to Haiti from Canada.
You can send money to Haiti in just a few simple steps:
- Compare money transfer services that allow you to send to Haiti.
- Choose a provider and sign up for an account.
- Provide all the details of your transaction, including the amount you want to send and the person who will receive the transfer.
- Confirm and pay.
Compare services that send money to Haiti from Canada
Use our calculator below to check the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds you’ll get when sending money to Haiti.
What’s the best way to send money to Haiti?
There are a few options to choose from when sending money to Haiti, each of which has its own pros and cons.
The simplest option is to send money to Haiti from your bank account. However, banks typically offer poor exchange rates and charge high fees on international money transfers, so this is unlikely to be the most cost-effective option. You’ll also need to wait several days for your transfer to arrive.
Some providers allow you to send cash transfers that your recipient in Haiti can collect within minutes. Cash transfers are a fast and convenient option, but they often attract higher fees.
Money transfer services
Specialist money transfer services allow you to send an online transfer that can be deposited in your recipient’s bank account or sometimes collected as cash. They typically offer the best exchange rates and competitive fees when compared to banks.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $500 to Haiti
To get a better idea of how your money transfer options compare, let’s look at an example of sending CAD$500 to Haiti in US dollars.
|Bank transfer||Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 0.7329 USD||1 CAD = 0.7339 USD||1 CAD = 0.7400 USD|
|Transfer speed||2-5 days||Minutes||Usually minutes (some providers may take 1-2 days)|
|Overall||Slowest||Fast but expensive||Best value|
As you can see in the table above, fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds all vary based on the method you choose to send money. In this example, the money transfer service offers the best value, allowing you to do the following:
- Send US$10.81 more compared to a bank transfer and pay CAD$10 less in fees
- Send US$17.67 more and save CAD$20 on fees compared to a cash transfer
This demonstrates just how important it is to compare transfer services before deciding how to send money overseas.
How long will it take to send money to Haiti?
Transaction speeds vary depending on the type of transfer you send. Cash pick-ups are typically the quickest and can usually be collected by your recipient within minutes, but they’re also the most expensive option.
Transfers to a bank account in Haiti cost less to send but could take 2 days or longer to arrive.
Emergency cash transfer
If it’s an emergency and you need to send money to Haiti fast, cash transfers will be your best bet. This involves paying with a credit or debit card and transferring to a cash pick-up location. While it is fast, there will be more fees involved.
How to send money to Haiti without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account, you’ll need to look for a provider that allows you to send money in person and pay with cash.
If your recipient doesn’t have a bank account either, the service will also need to offer cash pick-ups. Once again, providers like MoneyGram and Western Union typically offer this service.
What to watch out for
The Haitian gourde (HTG) is the official currency of Haiti, but US dollars have been widely accepted in the country for some time.
However, it’s worth noting that in 2018, the government of Haiti declared that all commercial transactions in the country must be made in gourdes. Despite this, most transfer services only offer the option of sending US dollars to Haiti.
Your recipient will also need to exercise caution when collecting cash in Haiti. Avoiding high crime areas, staying aware of personal surroundings and only carrying cash around for as short a time possible are all sensible steps to take.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Haiti
You’ll need the following info and documentation to transfer money to Haiti:
- Identification. You’ll need to provide a valid form of photo ID, such as your driver’s license or passport.
- Transfer amount. Some transfer services allow you to pay in cash, while others also accept credit cards, debit cards, bank transfers and other payment methods.
- Recipient’s details. The transfer service will require your recipient’s name, address and contact details.
- Reason for sending the money. You’ll also need to provide a purpose for the transfer.
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the best value for your money, consider the following factors when comparing money transfer services:
- Fees. Make sure you’re aware of all fees that will apply to your transaction. How do these fees change if you choose a different payment method or send an express transfer?
- Exchange rates. Compare the current exchange rates on offer from different transfer services and how they compare to the mid-market rate.
- Transfer speed. Check the average processing time for transfers to Haiti.
- Payment options. Find out which payment methods the service supports – is your preferred method available?
- Delivery methods. Does the provider offer bank deposits, cash pick-ups or both?
- Customer service. Finally, make sure the money transfer service provides prompt and helpful customer service in case you ever have a problem with a transaction.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate reflects the value of one currency relative to another. For example, when the Canadian dollar is strong against the Haitian gourde, you’ll be able to purchase more gourde for each Canadian dollar you exchange. This is why it’s a good idea to time your transfer for when the Canadian dollar is performing strongly.
More guides on Finder
Bitcoin vs Gold 2021: Which should you invest in?
SPONSORED: J.P. Morgan suspects Bitcoin is on its way to becoming the new gold – but should you invest?
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
How to invest $10k
Grow your wealth the smart way with these top 6 picks.
Investing in your 30s: 8 wealth-building tips
Prepare to revamp your asset allocation and explore new investment classes when you’re in your 30s.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.