Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Gabon
Find out how to get bank-beating rates on your next money transfer to Gabon.
Gabon has boomed in recent years and there are now a number of different ways to send money there.
This means you have more options to compare, which can make it easier to find a better deal.
How much does it cost to send money to Gabon? Compare your options
The table below shows how much it may cost to send money to Gabon with different transfer services.
Simply enter your transfer details into the calculator, and it will run the numbers and bring back the costs.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Gabon? Compare your options
- Step-by-step: How to send money to Gabon
- What's the best way to send money to Gabon?
- How long will it take to send money to Gabon?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Gabon
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Gabon
Step-by-step: How to send money to Gabon
- Compare your transfer services here and find the one that’s best for you.
- Sign up for an account. You may have to verify your identity.
- Put the details of your money transfer into the space provided, including the amount and the recipient.
- Double check the details, confirm your payment and then send your money.
What’s the best way to send money to Gabon?
There are several different ways of sending money to Gabon. The main options include:
There are a range of banking connections in Gabon, although you’ll need to ask your bank if they send there. It can be convenient, but will also generally be one of the more expensive options.
Cash transfer services are still popular, especially when the recipient doesn’t have a bank account.
Money transfer services
These transfer services are often online-only, but will still deliver funds to the recipient in different ways, and may offer you the choice of cash deposit, mobile money delivery or bank account delivery.
Crunching the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Gabon
The table below shows how much it costs to send $1,000 to Gabon with different options. This way you can see how much different options will cost and how much you can save by comparing your options before sending.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 432.5039 XAF||1 CAD = 439.4418 XAF|
|Transfer speed||In minutes||2-3 days|
|Receiver gets||XAF6,942.91 less||XAF6,942.91 more|
Both transfer services, in this case, are identical except their choice of pick-up locations, as well as their fees. One would let your recipient get almost XAF7,000 more (around $15 CAD) at the other end, thanks to its more favourable exchange rates and lower fees.
How long will it take to send money to Gabon?
How long it takes to send money to Gabon depends largely on whether there’s a bank transfer involved. If you’re paying with cash and the recipient is picking up cash, the money might be available immediately.
This will often be more expensive than other options though.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to send cash to Gabon as soon as possible, you may want to use a service that offers cash transfers.
How to send money to Gabon without a bank account
You can send money to Gabon without a bank account by looking for options which let you pay with cash. Some transfer services have agents in countries around the world to help facilitate this.
If your recipient doesn’t have a bank account, you can look for a service which lets you select cash delivery as an option, or you can send money directly to the recipient’s mobile money account.
What to watch out for
Gabon’s tax laws may change over time and certain payments into or out of the country may be subject to additional taxes. Make sure you understand the taxes involved properly – you may want to contact a tax expert.
Gabon’s mobile money scene has grown rapidly in recent years. Over 45% of the population in Sub-Saharan Africa has access to some kind of mobile money account, and Gabon has enjoyed a high level of uptake. If possible, mobile money payments may be a suitable option for smaller transfers.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Gabon
You’ll be required to provide a range of information for your money transfer, and some documentation.
- Identification to verify the personal details you provide, like a driver’s license.
- How much you’re sending and which currencies you’re converting it to and from.
- Who’s receiving the money and some of their details such as name and contact information.
- The reason for the transfer and potentially also some evidence to support your reason.
What to compare to get the best deal
There are a range of things to consider when comparing international money transfers.
- Fees. Look at how much you’re being charged for the overall transfer.
- Exchange rates. Consider the quoted exchange rate and how much of one currency you’re getting for the other.
- Transfer speed. If the money needs to get there in a hurry, you may want to pay extra attention to the transfer speed.
- Payment options. Consider the options for delivering money to the recipient.
- Delivery methods. How does the customer want to receive the money?
- Customer service. If something goes wrong you want to know you can get in touch with the transfer service’s customer support team.
Exchange rates explainedForeign exchange rates can make up one of the biggest costs of any money transfer service, and are just as important to consider as the fees.
To find out how much you’re paying in exchange rates, look at the mid-market rates for the currency you want to convert to, and then compare that to the exchange rate quoted by a transfer service.
Cash pick-up locations in Gabon
More guides on Finder
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
Up to off during the LEGO Black Friday sale 2021
Check out the Black Friday deals LEGO has to offer.
Best stock trading platforms for online trading
Research and compare the best stock trading platforms to find the right one for your financial needs.
How do international money orders work?
Here’s what you need to know about international money orders and see if there is a better option for sending money overseas.