Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Fiji
Save time and money when sending money to Fiji from Canada.
If you’re making a one-off transfer or regular payments to Fiji, there are a number of international money transfer services out there that you can use. The provider and method of transfer determines the cost and speed for the international money transfer.
Whether you’re sending money to Fiji for personal or for business purposes, read our guide below for a comparison of international money transfer providers and an overview of how to send money to Fiji from Canada.
Compare international money transfer services to Fiji below
You can use the table below to compare specialist transfer companies which allow you to transfer funds to Fiji from Canada. Using the top banner of the table, you can click to select and sort products using their minimum transfer amounts, transfer speed, transfer methods or the fee for online transfers. Always keep in mind that to compare exchange rates, the easiest way is to contact the service provider for the most up-to-date information. Some services will only quote the current exchange rate, instead of providing the rate on a specific amount.
What's in this guide?
- Compare international money transfer services to Fiji below
- Should you go with a bank or an international transfer provider?
- Case study: Temo sends money to Fiji
- How to compare companies that let you transfer money to Fiji
- How to send money to Fiji from Canada
- Emergency cash transfers in Fiji
- Cash pick-up locations in Fiji
- Tips for picking up cash in Fiji
- How to send money to Fiji
Should you go with a bank or an international transfer provider?
A few companies allow transfers between Canada and Fiji, and some even let your recipient collect Fijian dollars instead of US dollars or Australian dollars. Generally, specialist international money transfer services tend to give better exchange rates than the banks but be aware of fees and extra charges. Sometimes the fees for an international transfer can take away from any savings that were made by going for a better rate.
Companies like OFX, FairFX, TorFX and WorldRemit allow you to send money to Fiji from Canada, and have your recipient receive the funds in Fijian dollars. Many Canadian banks however also allow transfers to Fiji.
Case study: Temo sends money to Fiji
Temo sends money from Canada to his family in Fiji about once a month. He wants to know which provider is going to give him the best deal. He compared the cost and rates from a bank and an alternative financial service when sending money to Fiji to see which deal is better. You can see the results of his comparison in the table below using the exchange rate in the spring of 2018. Check current exchange rates before making a decision.
|Bank||Specialist transfer company|
|Exchange rate||CAD$1 = FJD$1.424||CAD$1 = FJD$1.555|
|Amount received for $1000 CAD (in Fijian Dollars)||FJD$1,424.01||FJD$1,555.12|
|Transfer time||Two to five days||Two days|
|Transfer options||Transfer directly to the recipient’s bank account online.||Transfer to a bank account.|
|Difference of||FJD +$131.11|
Rates are current on 05/03/2018
How to compare companies that let you transfer money to Fiji
When you’re looking at a money transfer offer, compare the features of the quote against other providers. Common features to compare include:
- Exchange rate. This is the rate of conversion between Canadian and Fijian dollars. This is generally one of the main considerations for people looking to send money to Fiji. Be conscious of the relationship between the exchange rate and the fees for transferring the funds. Some providers will give a competitive exchange rate, but do so at the cost of increased international transfer fees. This can offset any savings you get from the competitive exchange rate.
- Collecting the money. Another point of comparison between money transfer providers is the method of picking up the cash. Generally, most companies will allow you to transfer money directly to the recipient’s bank account. Some providers let your recipient collect the funds as cash from a branch location.
- Transfer fees. International payments can be notoriously expensive. Cash transfers are generally more expensive than online transfers to bank accounts. Some companies will waive their fees completely if you send over a certain amount of money in one go, however this is generally over the $5,000 or $10,000 mark.
- Transfer methods. How can you send money to Fiji? Some providers only allow online transfers, while others may allow cash transfers via a branch location.
- Transfer time. How long will it take before your recipient in Fiji gets the money once you’ve sent it? As well as having a reputation for being expensive, international payments can also take a number of business days before the funds clear. Some companies will be able to send the money within minutes, while others may take three to five days to reach your recipient.
- Minimum transfer. How much do you need to send to Fiji? Some international money transfer providers have a minimum transfer amount of $1,000, while others may have a maximum transfer amount of the same. If you need to send less or more than this, compare providers by their minimum or maximum transfer amounts.
- Transfer options. Are you able to make regular transfers, or are you only able to transfer money to Fiji once? How often will you need to send money to Fiji? The frequency of your international payments will be a comparison point for international money transfer providers.
How to send money to Fiji from Canada
There are a number of companies that let you send money to Fiji in a variety of different ways. From the international money transfer providers we compare, the following providers let you send money to Fiji:
- OFX. OFX allow you to arrange an international transfer online and over the phone. They charge a fee of $15 for most transfers.
- TorFX. Send money to Fiji with TorFX foreign currency exchange. There’s a minimum transfer amount of $1,000 and fees may apply for transfers under $10,000. You can arrange an international money transfer to Fiji either online or by giving the provider a phone call.
- FairFX. You can send funds online to Fiji using FairFX. With low fees and competitive exchange rates, FairFX can send funds overseas within a few days.
- WorldRemit. This company allow you to send funds online to many countries around the world. With low fees and competitive exchange rates, WorldRemit offer relatively fast transfers.
- Western Union. You can send money in person at a branch location or online with Western Union. Money can be available in just minutes for cash pick-up.
- MoneyGram. Much like Western Union, MoneyGram can have cash available for pickup in just minutes. However, you must send the funds in person from a branch in Canada, since there is no online service.
- PayPal. As long as both you and your recipient have PayPal accounts, you can send and receive money using the online service.
Emergency cash transfers in Fiji
If you are travelling in Fiji and lose your wallet or have your cash stolen, there are ways to get emergency cash. These ways may include the following:
- International transfer companies. Services like Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send cash to Fiji from Canada. Available for cash pickup, you can collect the money within just minutes.
- Emergency cash offered by your card provider. Visa, MasterCard and American Express offer emergency cash to their card holders if their card is lost or stolen. Give your credit card provider or bank a call and they will make an arrangement for an emergency cash advance to be collected from a local merchant.
- Travel insurance. Check whether an emergency cash benefit is included in your travel insurance policy. You should never travel without travel insurance.
Cash pick-up locations in Fiji
Some international payment providers let you pick cash up from a specific location in Fiji only minutes after the transfer has been completed in Canada. To collect the cash, you’ll need to provide the reference number that was given when the transfer was completed and you’ll also need to provide valid identification to prove you are who you say you are.
Western Union has over 150 locations in Fiji where you can collect cash. Here are some locations below.
Fenton Street Lami Town, Lami.
Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
Damodar City Branch
Shop 4-5, Dmc Complex,
Grantham Road, Suva.
Open Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm & Saturday and Sunday 10am – 2pm.
Shop 7 & 8 Tevara Complex, Kings Road,
Open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm.
MH Superfresh Supermarket
295 Superfresh Supermarket
G.P.O Box, Suva.
Open 7am to 8pm Monday to Sunday.
Tips for picking up cash in Fiji
The Government of Canada lists Fiji as a safe destination for Canadian travellers, so Canadians visiting Fiji are advised to exercise a normal degree of caution. For example, don’t go waving cash around in public and avoid using public transportation with large amounts of cash.
How to send money to Fiji
To send money to Fiji through any of the services mentioned on this page, you’ll likely need to register online with the money transfer service first. The process to set up an online account is generally straight forward. You’ll need to provide some basic information about yourself, including personal details, email, address and sometimes proof of ID. The requirements may be different if you’re transferring the funds in person from a branch location.
If you’re transferring directly to your recipients bank account, you’ll need details of their bank account, including the transit code of your recipient’s bank account.
There are a number of options to send money to Fiji. Compare international money transfer companies by their rates, fees, minimum transfer amount and transfer speeds. If you want more information about sending money to Fiji, ask us a question using the form below and a member of our team will be in touch.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
American Express Essential Credit Card Review
Pay no annual fee and save money on your outstanding balance with this low-interest credit card.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
TD Student Chequing Account Review
Enjoy 25 free transactions and a handful of other banking perks with this fee-free student chequing account.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.