Do you want to send money to Fiji? Find out which companies let you send money to Fiji cheaply, quickly and without any fuss.
If you’re making a one-off transfer, or regular payments to Fiji, there are a number of international money transfer services out there that you can use. The provider and method of transfer determines the cost and clearing time for the international money transfer. Whether you’re sending money to Fiji for personal or business purposes, give this page a read for a comparison of international money transfer providers and an overview of how to send and collect money in Fiji.
Compare international money transfer services to Fiji
You can use the table below to compare transfer companies which allow you to transfer funds to Fiji from Australia. Using the top of the table you can select to sort products using their minimum transfer amounts, transfer speed, transfer methods and finally the fee for online transfers. Always keep in mind that to compare exchange rates, the easiest way is to contact the service provider for the most up-to-date information.
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Should you go with a bank or an international payments provider?
Most providers let you transfer money from Australia to Fiji, and let the recipient collect Fijian Dollars. Generally, specialist foreign exchange and international money transfer services tend to give better rates than the banks but be aware of fees and charges. Sometimes the fees for an international transfer can negate any saving that was made by going for a better rate.
Case study: Temo sends money to Fiji
Temo sends money from Australia to his family in Fiji about once a month. He wants to know which provider is going to give him the best deal. We’ve compared the cost and rates from a bank and a non-bank when sending money to Fiji to see which deal is better.
|Bank||International payments and foreign exchange provider|
|Exchange rate||$1AUD = $1.5335 FJD||$1AUD = $1.6809 FJD|
|Transfer fee||$22.00 AUD||$20 AUD|
|Amount received for $1000 AUD (in Fijian Dollars)||$1533.50 FJD||$1674.95 FJD|
|Transfer time||2 – 5 business days.||2 business days.|
|Transfer options||Transfer directly to the recipient’s bank account online.||Transfer to a nominated bank account.|
Rates are current on 21/10/2014.Back to top
How to compare companies that let you transfer money to Fiji
When you’re looking at a money transfer offer, compare the features of the quote against other providers. Common features include:
- Exchange rate. This is rate of conversion between Australian and Fijian dollars. This is generally one of the main considerations for people looking to send money to Fiji. Be conscious of the relationship between the exchange rate and the fees for transferring the funds. Some providers will give a competitive exchange rate, but do so at the cost of increased international transfer fees.
- Collecting the money. Another point of comparison between money transfer providers is the method of picking up the cash. Generally, most companies will allow you to transfer directly to the recipient’s bank account. Some providers let the recipient collect the funds from a merchant via a cash pickup service.
- Transfer fees. International payments are notoriously expensive. Both the payee and the payor may be charged for an international money transfer. Compare providers based on the fees for the different transfer methods (payments made by EFTPOS or through an online banking international transfer) and whether the payor is able to cover the fees for the payee.
- Transfer methods. How does the provider let you send money to Fiji. Some providers only allow transfers made through their online banking facility; while other providers allow you send money using EFTPOS over the counter at a branch or retail outlet.
- Transfer time. How long will it take before the person in Fiji gets the money once you’ve sent it? As well as having a reputation for being expensive, international payments can also take a number of business days before the funds clear to use in Fiji.
- Minimum transfer. How much do you need to send to Fiji? Some international money transfer providers have a minimum transfer amount of $1,000. If you need to send less than this, compare providers by their minimum transfer amount.
- Transfer options. Are you able to make regular transfers, or are you only able to transfer money to Fiji once? How often will you need to send money to Fiji? The frequency of your international payments will be a comparison point for international money transfer providers.
How to send money to Fiji from Australia
In a global community, International payments are big business. There are a number of companies that let you send money to Fiji in a number of different ways. Each of the international payments providers has a secure online payment portal.
From the international money transfer providers we compare, the following providers let you send money to Fiji.
- Travelex international payments. Travelex let you send money to Fiji using their online international payments service.
- Currency Online. You can send money to Fiji with Currency Online. Arrange the international funds transfer through their website or over the phone. Currency Online have no minimum transfer amount; however, a fee will be charged if you want to send under a certain amount.
- OFX. OFX allow to arrange an international funds transfer online, over the phone or through an OFX agent. OFX do not accept credit card payments, cheques or cash transactions, and the recipient must have access to their bank account to collect the funds.
- Citibank Plus Transaction Account. Send money to Fiji for less with the Citibank Plus Transaction Account. Transfer methods include over the phone, at a Citibank branch and bank account to bank account using the Citibank online banking facility.
- TorFX foreign currency exchange. Send money to Fiji with TorFX foreign currency exchange. There’s a minimum transfer amount of $1,000 and fees may apply for transfers under $10,000. You can arrange an international money transfer to Fiji either through a TorFX agent or by giving the provider a phone call.
Emergency cash transfers in Fiji
Are you stuck with no money in Fiji? There are ways a friend or relative in Australian can send money quickly for you to collect.
- International transfer companies. Some international money transfer companies will let you send money to Fiji and the cash can be collected from a local business almost immediately. Keep in mind that if you need to send money quickly, you’re likely to pay more for the service.
- Emergency cash offered by your card provider. Visa, MasterCard and American Express offer emergency cash to their card holders if their card is lost or stolen. Give the card provider a call and they will make an arrangement for an emergency cash advance to be collected from a local merchant. From Fiji, you can make a reverse charge call to your card provider by entering the following number before the card scheme’s phone number.
- 004 890 6101
- Travel insurance. Check whether an emergency cash benefit is included in your travel insurance policy.
Cash pickup locations in Fiji
Some international payment providers let you pick cash up from a specific location in Fiji only minutes after the transfer has been completed in Australia. To collect the cash, you’ll need to provide the reference number that was given when the transfer was completed, you’ll also need to provide identification to prove you are who you say you are.
Western Union has over 150 locations in Fiji where you can collect cash.
Fenton Street Lami Town, Lami.
Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
Damodar City Branch
Shop 4-5, Dmc Complex,
Grantham Road, Suva.
Open Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm & Saturday and Sunday 10am – 2pm.
Shop 7 & 8 Tevara Complex, Kings Road,
Open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm.
MH Superfresh Supermarket
295 Superfresh Supermarket
G.P.O Box, Suva.
Open 7am to 8pm Monday to Sunday.
Tips for picking up cash in Fiji
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade lists Fiji as safe destination for Australian travellers, so Australians visiting Fiji are advised to use normal degree of caution and safety precautions. For example, don’t go waving cash around in public. Check the latest news on DFAT’s website if you’re travelling to Fiji or want to inform someone of any travel precautions to Fiji.Back to top
How to send money to Fiji
To send money to Fiji through any of the services mentioned on this page, you’ll need to register with the money transfer service first. The process to set up an account is pretty straight forward. You’ll need to provide some basic information about yourself, including: personal details, email, address and your driver’s licence number.
The requirements may be different if you’re transferring the funds from a branch or representative of the international payments service.
If you’re transferring directly to a payee’s bank account, you’ll need details of their bank account, including the SWIFT code of the recipient’s bank account.
There are a number of options to send money to Fiji. Compare international money transfer companies by their rates, fees, minimum transfer amount and time it takes for the funds to clear in the recipient’s bank account. If you want more information about sending money to Fiji, ask us a question using the form below and a member of our team will be in touch.Back to top