Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Curaçao
Compare your options before sending money to Curaçao to see if you can get a better deal.
Curaçao, formerly known as Netherlands Antilles, is one of the world’s newer nations.
But it’s still easy to send money there and you could save money by comparing your options before you do.
How much does it cost to send money to Curaçao? Compare your options
Enter your transfer amount into the table below to see how much it may cost with different options.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Curaçao? Compare your options
- Step by step: How to send money to Curaçao
- What's the best way to send money to Curaçao?
- How long will it take to send money to Curaçao?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Curaçao
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Curaçao
Step by step: How to send money to Curaçao
- Compare money transfer services that can send your dollars to Netherlands Antillean guilders (ANG)
- Find the one you want and create an account on its website
- Enter the details of your transfer
- Confirm the transfer and recipient information, then pay
What’s the best way to send money to Curaçao?
There are several ways of sending money to Curaçao.
You may be able to send a transfer by going to your bank. These will potentially be much slower and more expensive than other options, though.
This is a popular option for sending money to Curaçao as you can send to a range of pick-up locations. It can also be very quick, but won’t always be the cheapest.
Money transfer services
These online services can give you a range of different options, including bank account deposits and mobile wallet transfers, and can be one of the best ways of comparing prices to find the best deal.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Curaçao
To put this into perspective, we’ve done an example of a $1,000 transfer with 2 different services so you can see how the fees and exchange rates vary.
|Cash transfer service 1||Cash transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 1.3437 ANG||1 CAD = 1.3672 ANG|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||Within minutes|
|Overall||ANG74.50 less||ANG74.50 more|
Both are almost identical in delivery method and transfer speed, except one has higher fees and slightly worse rates.
The end result is that by just shopping around you could save ANG74.50 (around $55 CAD) on this transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Curaçao?
How long it takes to send money to Curaçao depends primarily on how you make the payment, which transfer service you use and how the recipient elects to receive their money.
Bank transfers can take 1-2 days, while cash and card payments can go through instantly, and cash pick-ups or mobile airtime top-ups can be made available immediately.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to send money to Curaçao instantly, you can look for a place to pay with cash in your location and then have the recipient pick up the money as cash in Curaçao.
Services such as Western Union or MoneyGram can facilitate quick transfers in this way.
How to send money to Curaçao without a bank account
Even if you don’t have a bank account, you can still send money to Curaçao by paying with cash. Your recipient can likewise pick up a cash transfer without having a bank account.
What to watch out for
Curaçao’s national currency, the Netherlands Antillean guilder (ANG) is relatively tightly controlled for the sake of maintaining financial stability in the small country.
There may be restrictions around the import or export of the currency, conditions around holding ANG funds on someone else’s behalf and other limitations.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Curaçao
You’ll typically need to provide a few pieces of documentation to ensure your transfer goes smoothly. This will often include a driver’s license or another form of government-issued ID, and in some cases verification of a reason for sending the money.
You’ll also need to provide some details, including:
- Your personal information. This will include your name and contact details.
- Transfer details. You’ll have to specify the amount and other required transfer details.
- Recipient information. This includes the details so the money can find the recipient, such as their bank details, contact information and name.
What to compare to get the best deal
There are several things to look at if you want to find the deal that’s best for you.
- Fees. Look at how much you’re being charged in flat fees per transfer.
- Exchange rates. Consider how many ANG you’re getting for your currency.
- Transfer speed. Are you in a hurry? How long will it take?
- Payment options. Look for payment options that suit you. For example, if you want to pay with card your choices may be limited.
- Delivery methods. What are the recipient’s options for receiving funds?
- Customer service. Is the service’s customer service only available during business hours? Is there a phone number or is it just an email?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Foreign exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for another. In this case, it will be how many ANG you get for your local currency. By finding the mid-market rates, which are the official exchange rates, you can see how much you’re paying in hidden exchange rate costs with transfer services.
Cash pick-up locations in Curaçao
More guides on Finder
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
What’s open in Hamilton
Find out what’s open and closed in Hamilton.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
What’s open in Vancouver?
Find out where you can go and what you can do right now in Vancouver.
What’s open in Ottawa?
Find out what’s open in Ottawa with the current COVID-19 restrictions.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.