Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Chad
Compare your options when sending money to Chad and find out what you need to know.
Chad has started attracting a lot more investment in recent years and more money has started entering the country.
If you’re sending money to Chad, there are enough options for you to compare then find the best deal.
How much does it cost to send money to Chad? Compare your options
The table below lets you see how much it will cost to send money to Chad with different options.
Enter the amount of your transfer into the table below and it will run the numbers to help you find the best deal.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Chad? Compare your options
- Step by step: How to send money to Chad
- What's the best way to send money to Chad?
- How long will it take to send money to Chad?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Chad
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Chad
Step by step: How to send money to Chad
- Compare the available transfer services that can send your dollars as Central African CFA francs.
- Choose the one that’s best for you and go to its website.
- Enter the details of your transfer in the space provided.
- Confirm the details and make your payment.
What’s the best way to send money to Chad?
There are several ways of sending money to Chad. The main options are:
Several banks will facilitate money transfers to Chad, although these are usually more expensive than other options.
Cash is one of the more popular choices for everyday money transfers, as your recipient won’t need a bank account to receive the money and can instead just pick it up at a location.
Money transfer services
Some money transfer services will let you choose whether you want to send money as a bank transfer, mobile money or for cash pick-up. These are often the most flexible and cost-effective choices.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Chad
The table below shows how much it costs to send money to Chad with two different services. One offers cash pick-ups, while the other is a transfer service that offers a choice of delivering to recipient bank accounts or cash pick-ups.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 432.5039 XAF||1 CAD = 439.4418 XAF|
|Transfer speed||In minutes||2-3 days|
|Receiver gets||XAF6,942.91 less||XAF6,942.91 more|
One option will be a bit slower, but will leave your recipient with almost XAF7,000 (roughly $15 CAD) more than the other.
How long will it take to send money to Chad?
Your funds can be available to pick up in Chad almost immediately with cash pick-up services.
It will typically be slower with banks though, as well as money transfer services you’re either paying with a bank deposit or are delivering money to the recipient’s bank account.
Emergency cash transfer
Services such as Western Union or MoneyGram can get funds to the recipient in just minutes, although these high-speed transfers will also generally be more expensive than other options.
How to send money to Chad without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account you can still send money to Chad by paying in person at a local agent location. If the recipient doesn’t have a bank account, they can still pick up cash or may also be able to collect funds with mobile money.
What to watch out for
Cash transfers are one of the more popular ways of sending money to Chad, despite the large landmass and largely rural country.
Mobile money services haven’t taken off to the same extent in Chad as neighbouring countries, so this may not be a popular option for everyone.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Chad
If you’re sending money to Chad, you may be asked to provide:
- Identification. Your personal ID and details such as your name, address and contact details.
- Transfer amount. How much you want to send in XAF.
- Recipient’s details. Who the recipient is, how they should receive the money and their contact details.
- Reason for sending the money. You may be asked why you’re sending the money and, in some cases, may be required to verify this reason with additional documentation.
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the option that’s best for you, look at:
- Fees. How much you’re being charged in flat fees for the transfer.
- Exchange rates. How much margin you’re paying on the exchange rate, as a percentage of the transfer.
- Transfer speed. How long it will take the funds to arrive.
- Payment options. The different ways of paying for a transfer. For example, with credit card, cash in hand or via bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. This is whether you want the funds delivered as cash, sent to a mobile wallet or put into the recipient’s bank account.
- Customer service. Does the transfer service offer 24/7 support or just during business hours?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for the other. In this case, the other currency will be XAF or Central African CFA francs.
XAF is pegged to the euro, so your exchange rates will fluctuate based on that. Look at the mid-market rates (below) and compare that to an exchange rate quoted by a transfer service to see how much you’re paying on exchange rate margins.
Cash pick-up locations in Chad
More guides on Finder
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
How to transfer a car loan to another person
Find out more about what you’ll need to do to transfer a car loan to another person in Canada.
How do international money orders work?
Here’s what you need to know about international money orders and see if there is a better option for sending money overseas.
How to find a WorldRemit location
Find WorldRemit locations near you and abroad to send or receive cash in as little as a few minutes.
How to use Facebook Pay
Exactly how do you use Facebook Messenger to send or request money? Is it safe? Find out what happens when you use the app to send money to someone.
How to send door-to-door cash
Learn how to take advantage of door-to-door cash by getting money delivered directly to your home or recipient’s doorstep.
How to send money to someone without a bank account
Transfer agents, mobile wallets and online credit card payments don’t necessarily require a bank account.