Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Burkina Faso
Sending money to Burkina Faso? Compare options before you send.
If you’re wanting to send money to Burkina Faso, it should be easy and affordable. This means comparing options to find the lowest fees and the best exchange rates for your next transfer, so you can be confident that you’re finding the best deal with the least amount of hassle.
What's in this guide?
- Step-by-step: How to send money to Burkina Faso
- What's the best way to send money to Burkina Faso?
- How long will it take to send money to Burkina Faso?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Burkina Faso
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Burkina Faso
Step-by-step: How to send money to Burkina Faso
- Compare money transfer services to find the one that’s best for sending your dollars to XAF.
- Once you’ve chosen one, create an account for it.
- Enter the details of your transfer, including the recipient and the amount you want to send.
- Confirm the transfer details and make your payment to the transfer service.
What’s the best way to send money to Burkina Faso?
There are three different options you can use, each with its own benefits and downsides.
You can send money to Burkina Faso through bank transfers, but it will often be slower and more expensive than other options.
You can send money for the recipient to pick up as cash from a local agent.
Money transfer services
Some online money transfer services will deliver funds to the recipient’s bank account, as cash or to mobile wallets as needed. These will often be more cost-effective than other options.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Burkina Faso
Here’s how much it would cost to send $1,000 to Burkina Faso with two different services, to give a sense of how much costs can vary and why it pays to compare.
How long will it take to send money to Burkina Faso?
How long it takes to send money to Burkina Faso depends mostly on which type of transfer you send. Generally, it will be slowest whenever you either have to have money deposited into a recipient’s bank account or when you’re making a payment from a bank account.
To find the fastest transfer, you’ll generally want to look at cash transfers and mobile money payments.
Emergency cash transfer
Certain services can quickly send money to Burkina Faso to be picked up as cash at an agent’s location.
However, you will need to bear in mind that the agent locations will have their own business hours, and that your recipient will need to be able to get to the agent quickly if you’re in a hurry.
Where possible, mobile money transfers with services such as Orange Money can also facilitate fast money transfers.
How to send money to Burkina Faso without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account, you can still pay with cash at the agent location closest to you. You’ll be able to find the address on the money service’s website.
At the other end of the transfer, if your recipient doesn’t have a bank account, they can still pick up cash. If they have a mobile money account, you can also look at services that deliver directly to mobile in Burkina Faso.
What to watch out for
Although they only arrived relatively recently, Burkina Faso’s mobile money services are growing quickly. Orange Money and Mobicash now have thousands of agent locations around the country.
Within the country, mobile money services are becoming the primary payment network.
Due to the popularity of these services, you may want to look for a money transfer service that can deliver to mobile if you want to make things more convenient for the recipient.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Burkina Faso
You will need to provide some information when you send money overseas and you’ll also need to have some documentation handy.
- Identification. You will typically need to show some form of identification – such as a driver’s license or passport – when setting up a transfer.
- Transfer amount. This includes the amount you want to send and the receiving currency.
- Recipient’s details. You’ll also have to provide recipient information such as their name, and their bank details if you’re sending money to a bank account, or their mobile number if you’re sending money to their phone.
- Reason for sending the money. You will often be required to specify a reason for sending the money, such as whether it’s a gift, a remittance or a business expense.
What to compare to get the best deal
The best money transfer for your needs depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a faster transfer it might be worth paying a bit more. Or if you’re looking for the most cost-effective transfer you should consider both the fees and the exchange rates.
- Fees. Look at how much you’re being charged in transfer fees.
- Exchange rates. Look at how much of one currency you’re getting for the other. This will often make even more of a difference to the overall costs than the fees will.
- Transfer speed. How long will it take for the money to arrive in Burkina Faso?
- Payment options. Your options may vary depending on whether you want to pay with card, cash or bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. How does the recipient want to get the money? Are they happy to pick up cash, or do they want it delivered to their phone or bank account?
- Customer service. How good is the service’s customer support? Will you be able to contact it if something goes wrong?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates are how much two currencies are worth relative to each other. They’re changing constantly, which means the amount of money the recipient gets will vary depending on when you send the money.
The West African CFA franc (XOF) used in Burkina Faso is pegged to the euro at 1 EUR = 655.957 XOF. This means that whenever the euro changes, the West African CFA franc does too.
Cash pick-up locations in Burkina Faso
More guides on Finder
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
How do international money orders work?
Here’s what you need to know about international money orders and see if there is a better option for sending money overseas.
How to find a WorldRemit location
Find WorldRemit locations near you and abroad to send or receive cash in as little as a few minutes.
How to use Facebook Pay
Exactly how do you use Facebook Messenger to send or request money? Is it safe? Find out what happens when you use the app to send money to someone.
How to send door-to-door cash
Learn how to take advantage of door-to-door cash by getting money delivered directly to your home or recipient’s doorstep.
How can bitcoin compete in the money transfer market?
Is Bitcoin a viable way to transfer money? Learn how it compares to more traditional services here.
AMA car insurance review
Are you a loyal AMA member? Find out how you can get big discounts when you sign up for car insurance with this trusted Alberta-based brand.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.