Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Benin
Sending money to Benin? Compare your options first to save money when you do.
Benin isn’t a large country, but there are still plenty of ways for your money transfer to find its destination.
Compare options when sending money to Benin to see if you can cut costs when you do.
How much does it cost to send money to Benin? Compare your options
The table below lets you sort through money transfer options and easily compare them. Just enter your transfer amount in the space provided, and it will calculate how much it may cost with different providers.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Benin? Compare your options
- Step-by-step: How to send money to Benin
- What's the best way to send money to Benin?
- How long will it take to send money to Benin?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Benin
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Benin
Step-by-step: How to send money to Benin
Here are the directions to send money to Benin:
- Choose your transfer service here and go to its website.
- Create or sign into an account with that service.
- Enter the details of your transfer, including the recipient and the amount.
- Confirm the details and make your payment.
What’s the best way to send money to Benin?
The best way to send money to Benin depends on your situation. The main options include the following:
You may be able to send money to Benin through your bank, although the costs can be high.
Cash transfer services and pick-up points are widely available in Benin.
Money transfer services
There are a number of online money transfer services that combine options such as cash pick-up, bank account transfers and mobile money to deliver flexible and cost-effective transfers.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $500 to Benin
The table below shows how much it can cost to send money to Benin with different transfer services, so you can see how much of a difference there is when sending $500 to Benin, and how much you could save by comparing options.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 446.810 XOF||1 CAD = 457.690 XOF|
|Transfer speed||Instant||Next day|
|Overall||XOF5,445.01 less||XOF5,445.01 more|
By comparing transfer services, you can save money by choosing the cheaper one. In this case, your recipient can get another XOF5,445.01 (about $12) simply by comparing two options.
Not only does one have lower fees, but it also has better exchange rates, allowing you to save even more on larger transfers.
How long will it take to send money to Benin?
The amount of time it takes to send money to Benin depends on which transfer method you use.
Cash pick-up and mobile money are usually instant, but anytime there’s a bank transfer involved, it can take several days longer.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to send money in a hurry, you can send money to be picked up at locations around Benin with services such as Western Union or MoneyGram.
How to send money to Benin without a bank account
It’s often cheaper to have money sent to your recipient’s bank account with a money transfer service, but if your recipient doesn’t have one, you can still send a cash transfer or a mobile money delivery.
If you don’t have a bank account, you can still pay with cash at a money transfer agent location or send money through your own mobile money app.
What to watch out for
The West African CFA franc (XOF) used in Benin is pegged to the euro at a fixed rate. As such, the exchange rates you get will vary depending on what the CAD/EUR is doing.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Benin
When sending money to Benin, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Personal details and identification. You will have to give your name, address and proof of identity.
- Transfer details and why you’re sending the money. You will typically be required to enter the reason for transferring the money, among other details such as the amount and the currencies.
- Recipient’s details. You will have to provide the recipient’s details so the money can find its way to the right person. If you want it delivered to the recipient’s bank account, you will also need to get their banking details.
What to compare to get the best deal
When sending money to Benin, look at the following factors to find the best option for your needs.
- Fees. How much are you being charged in flat fees?
- Exchange rates. How many CFA francs are you getting for your Canadian dollars?
- Transfer speed. How long will the transfer take?
- Payment options. Can you pay by cash or card? Do you have to make a bank transfer?
- Delivery methods. How can the recipient get their money? Options include mobile money, cash pick-up and bank transfer.
- Customer service. Can the money transfer service help out in case something goes wrong?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for another and different transfer services will charge very different amounts through varying exchange rates.
To find out how good your quoted exchange rates are, compare them to the CAD/XOF mid-market rates you can find online.
Cash pick-up locations in Benin
More guides on Finder
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
How do international money orders work?
Here’s what you need to know about international money orders and see if there is a better option for sending money overseas.
How to send door-to-door cash
Learn how to take advantage of door-to-door cash by getting money delivered directly to your home or recipient’s doorstep.
How to send money to someone without a bank account
Transfer agents, mobile wallets and online credit card payments don’t necessarily require a bank account.
How to receive a wire transfer
Learn how to receive money through a wire transfer in three ways: through a bank, in-store provider or online money transfer specialist.
Bitcoin vs. PayPal
What’s better for international money transfers — bitcoin or PayPal?
How can bitcoin compete in the money transfer market?
Is Bitcoin a viable way to transfer money? Learn how it compares to more traditional services here.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.