Have you found the best way to send money from Canada to Bangladesh?
If you’re relocating from Bangladesh to Canada permanently or temporarily, you may at some point be looking for a way to send money back home.
Whether you have to send cash for birthdays, funds to help your family pay bills or money to cover any investments you have back home, you’re going to want to find a money transfer service that gives you the best value for your money.
How do I use the table below?
Compare money transfer services in the table below by using the table headings to order products by transfer fees, minimum transfer amount and other factors. To find out more about a product, click “More”. To open an account with a transfer provider, click “Go to site”.
Send money to Bangladesh using a service below
Case study – Banks vs money transfer companies
Sumon has decided to relocate his family to Canada in order to take advantage of a promising business opportunity. His parents will be staying behind in Bangladesh and will still rely on him to help with their monthly expenses. Sumon thought it would be best to explore his options before the big move in case he needed to open an additional bank account.
|Bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||$1 CAD = 57.94 Taka (BDT)||$1 CAD = 64.73 Taka (BDT)|
|Transfer fee||The bank charges $25 for the transaction. Sumon will have to check with his parent’s bank to find out if they accept this type of transaction and how much it will cost.||With a money transfer service you will be charged $20 for sending $1,000. These fees will change with the transaction amount, but there should not be any charge to the recipient.|
|CAD1,000 converted to BDT||If Sumon sends CAD$1,000, his parents would receive BDT57,940.||If Sumon sends CAD$1,000, his parents would receive BDT63,458.|
|Turnaround time||This service typically takes 2-5 business days.||This service takes less than 24 hours or just a few minutes.|
|Options||The funds with a bank money transfer will be deposited into the recipient’s bank account.||This transaction can be sent directly to a bank account or picked up as cash by the recipient. Fees may vary depending on the service you choose.|
Not only is the fee with the money transfer company $5 less, but Sumon’s parents will receive BDT5,518 more. This is not including any fees their bank may have charged on their end.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to Bangladesh?
Compare the following factors to avoid any extra charges when sending a money transfer overseas:
- Competitive exchange rate. Many money transfer services can conceal extra fees inside the exchange rate. Make sure the rate is competitive before committing to a service provider.
- Low to no fees. You will almost always be charged a base fee for the transaction. Compare fees between companies to find one that is low. If you send a lot of money at one time, the transaction may be free.
- Ways to send funds to Bangladesh. Some companies send money online only while others require you to make the transaction in person. Compare companies who offer the services that you prefer.
- Flexible ways to receive funds from Bangladesh. This is important if you are sending money to someone who is in a remote location or is unable to pick up the money physically.
- High maximum transfer amounts. For your protection, most companies and banks have a limit on the amount of money you can send per transaction and per day. If you plan on sending large amounts at a time, this is something you should take into consideration.
How do I send money to Bangladesh from Canada?
In Canada there are a number of money transfer providers, including banks, that allow you to send money to Bangladesh. Consider both your needs and those of your recipient’s to decide which money transfer service is the best choice for you.
You can start by looking into these overseas money transfer service providers:
- Bank-to-bank transfers. Most Canadian banks allow you to send money overseas. This can be in the form of a one-off transfer or you may be able to set up regularly scheduled payments depending on your bank.
- Money transfer service company. Due to the volume of international exchanges that money transfer companies carry out each and every day, they can afford to offer more competitive exchange rates and lower fees than most Canadian banks offer. Some of them can also carry out market orders and regular transfers, as well as other services.
Emergency cash transfers in Bangladesh
Canadians who visit Bangladesh and lose their wallets or purses have options to replace cash if need be. To acquire cash quickly you can turn to:
- Transfer service company. So long as you have a valid photo ID, you will be able to receive money at a transfer service provider in Bangladesh. Some transfer services like WorldRemit, Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send cash overseas and have it available for pickup within minutes.
- Travel insurance. Whenever you travel outside of Canada you should have travel insurance. In addition to protection from medical expenses, depending on the policy, you may be able to receive emergency cash through the insurance provider.
- Credit card complimentary insurance. Many major credit cards also have their own travel insurance which you can activate by fulfilling certain conditions. This too could be useful in obtaining emergency cash while vacationing in Bangladesh.
Cash pickup locations in Bangladesh
There are a number of WorldRemit, Western Union and MoneyGram locations available in Bangladesh if you need to pick up money. Look for one close to you and check the store hours to make sure that they are open before you arrive.
- Islami BankDhanmondi BranchNilu Squire, Sat Masjid RoadDhanmondi R/A, Dhaka 1209. Phone. +880-9125316 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm. Friday closed.
- Bank AsiaBhairab BranchKalibari Road, Bhairab BazarKishoregonj, Dhaka 1541. Phone. +880-094247232831 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm. Friday closed.
- BRAC BankIshardi BranchMahabub Khan Plaza, Station RoadPabna, Rajshahi 6620. Phone. CSM-07326-64459 Hours. Saturday through Thursday 9 am to 5 pm Friday closed.
- Islami BankPabna BranchRajshahiPabna, Rajshahi 6600. Phone. (0731) 65621, 66324 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm. Closed on Friday
- Agrani Bank LTDKolapara Bazar BranchKolapara Bazar MunshigonjMunshigonj, Dhaka 1550 Phone. +880-1911369662 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm, Friday closed.
- Agrani Bank LTDSimpara BranchSimpara Bazar MunshigonjMunshigonj, Dhaka 1541 Phone. +880-1722054586 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9am to 5 pm, Friday closed.
- Abdul Hamid Rd BranchAbdul Hamid Road PabnaPabna, Rajshahi 6600 Phone. +880-1727448057 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm, Friday closed.
- Nazirganj BranchNazirganjPabna, Rajshahi 6600 Phone. +880-17300-65988 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm, closed on Friday.
- Mercantile Bank Limited #111Nawab Akhtar Uddin MansionZinda Bahar-1st Lane 25-1Dhaka Phone. 27393827 Hours. Sunday through Thursday, 10 am to 4 pm, closed Friday and Saturday
- Sebl IslampurAdel Complex Islampur Rd.Dhaka Phone. 21755594189 Hours. Sunday through Thursday, 10 am to 4 pm, closed Friday and Saturday
- NCC – #110Pabna Moktob Mor PabnaPabna, 6600 Phone. 01713017036 Hours. Sunday through Thursday, 10 am to 4 pm, Friday closed. Saturday 10 am to 2 pm.
- Uttara Bank LimitedPO & PS Puthia RajshahiRajshahi G.P.O., 6260 Phone. 8800722856117 Hours. Saturday through Thursday, 10 am to 5:30 pm. Closed on Friday.
Tips for picking up cash in Bangladesh
You’re advised by the Canadian Government to exercise a high level of caution when visiting Bangladesh. For this reason, make sure that you call your pickup location ahead of time to confirm their hours of operation.
Don’t rely on public transportation to get you to the location, rather ask your hotel to make arrangements for you with a well-known taxi service. Go straight back to the hotel when the transaction is complete and secure the cash in a safe place.
What documentation do I need to send money to Bangladesh?
If you’ve decided to use a specialist money transfer service to send money from Canada to Bangladesh, you may need to provide specific information about your recipient. If you’re sending funds that will be picked up in cash by your recipient, information must be provided and may include:
- Your recipient’s full name. It’s imperative that the name you provide exactly matches the name on their identification.
- The general location your recipient is picking up the funds. You should be able to provide the name of the city in which the person will be picking up the money.
- Tracking number. This will be given to you once you make the transaction. You must then give the tracking number to your recipient along with how much money you sent.
- Additional information. The recipient may also be asked for your general location or phone number as well as your full name. Ensure that they know your details too.
Hold on to your receipt until you can confirm that your recipient has retrieved the funds. If there’s a problem with the transfer, you’ll need your receipt to help solve any issues.
There are many options for you to consider when deciding how to send money to Bangladesh from Canada. Compare your options and find a company or bank that will allow as much of your money as possible to make it back home.