Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Afghanistan
Save time and money when sending money to Afghanistan.
The best way to send money to Afghanistan depends on your payment method and transfer needs. Popular options like Western Union and MoneyGram offer cash pickups, but make sure there’s a convenient agent near your recipient. Compare money transfer services to see who offers the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees.
Compare international money transfers to Afghanistan
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Afghanistan with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
- Compare international money transfers to Afghanistan
- What's the best way to send money to Afghanistan?
- Western Union vs. MoneyGram
- Steps to send money to Afghanistan
- How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Afghanistan
- What are the ways that I can send money to Afghanistan?
- Emergency transfers to Afghanistan
What’s the best way to send money to Afghanistan?
Your options are limited when sending money to Afghanistan.
- MoneyGram. Using MoneyGram to send money to Afghanistan will enable you to send to stores for cash pickup.
- Western Union. Western Union is typically more expensive than MoneyGram, but you may have more cash pickup locations to choose from.
You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country. Currently, the only providers that offer money transfers to Afghanistan are Western Union and MoneyGram.
Western Union vs. MoneyGram
Sending $500 to Afghanistan from Canada will cost different amounts depending on which company you pick. We checked prices on March 4, 2021 for cash pickup when paying by bank account.
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 58.1493 AFN||1 CAD = 58.0451 AFN|
|Transfer time||0-4 business days||0-4 business days|
|Transfer options||Online, agent location||Online, agent location|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total AFN received||28,202 AFN||28,733 AFN|
In this case, MoneyGram’s exchange rate is a little lower, but so is its fee. In the end, the recipient would get 531 more Afghan afghanis and you’d save about $10 on fees. Note that providers’ fees and exchange rates can vary — this is just an example.Back to top
Steps to send money to Afghanistan
- Sign up for a free account through Western Union or MoneyGram. Provide your name, address, contact information and ID.
- Provide your beneficiary’s name and the agent location where they will pick up the funds.
- Select the amount of money you are sending and complete your transaction.
- Make a note of your tracking number so you can monitor the progress of your money transfer.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Afghanistan
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include political activity, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to Afghanistan?
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- Cheques and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international cheque overseas, obtained from your bank or credit union.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
Emergency transfers to Afghanistan
In the event that you need to send money to Afghanistan in a hurry, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Must read: Tips for picking up money in Afghanistan
MoneygGram and Western Union list their cash pickup locations on their respective websites, so research the area well before heading to a location in a smaller town. Stick to main towns and don’t wander into unknown places when looking for a cash pickup agent.
Have a valid photo ID and the correct reference or transaction number when picking up cash. It’s also recommended you bring a copy of the receipt and the sender’s details.
Here are some other tips when picking up money anywhere in the world:
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
More guides on Finder
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
How to buy Nextdoor stock in Canada when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Nextdoor IPO.
5 tips for sending money to Asia
SPONSORED: Mobile money transfers provide an easy, low-cost and contactless way to send money to loved ones overseas.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
How to Buy Triller Stock in Canada When It Goes Public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Triller IPO.
Using a credit card in the US
Can you use your credit card in the US? And what might you pay? Get pro tips before using your card in our southern neighbour.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.