HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® review
A generous rewards program and premium travel benefits await you with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®.Get a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Points ($100 travel rewards). Plus, earn an additional 50,000 Points and get a 1st year annual fee waiver. Apply by September 27, 2021.
Purchase Interest Rate
$0 annual fee for the first year ($149 thereafter)
|Product Name||HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®|
|Reward||Earn 3% in travel rewards on all eligible travel purchases (6 Points per $1 spent) and earn 1.5% in travel rewards on all other eligible purchases (3 Points per $1 spent).|
|Welcome Offer||Get a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Points ($100 travel rewards). Plus, earn an additional 50,000 Points and get a 1st year annual fee waiver. Apply by September 27, 2021. Terms and Conditions Apply. This offer is only available to residents of Canada other than the province of Quebec (Quebec residents eligible for separate offer).|
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.9%|
|Cash Advance Rate||22.9%|
|Balance Transfer Rate||22.9%|
|Interest Free Period||21 days|
- Consider this card if you’re a frequent flier who likes to use their credit card to book vacations and other flights.
- Choose something else if you want a rewards program that lets you earn points on everyday purchases like groceries or gas.
- You must be a Canadian resident and the age of majority in your province to apply for the card.
While there are plenty of travel rewards programs to choose from, HSBC is upping the ante with its World Elite Mastercard. This card provides a gateway to the HSBC World Elite Rewards Program, which lets you rack up travel rewards on all eligible travel purchases.
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® is for frequent fliers who want all the benefits of a premium rewards program and aren’t afraid to pay for it. This card not only lets you earn rewards on all eligible travel purchases, but it also offers no foreign transaction fees. That means you can travel the world and book tickets in other currencies without having to incur hefty conversion charges.
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®also provides hefty insurance protection, including an emergency cash transfer up to a maximum of $5,000 if your card is lost or stolen.
- Welcome bonus. Get a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Points (up to $100 value). Plus, get an additional 20,000 Points (up $100 value) when you spend $5,000 within 6 months of account opening, and get a 1st Year annual fee waiver for the Primary Cardholder ($149 value/$99 value), earn 10,000 Points (up to $50 value) for adding your 1st Authorized User, and receive an additional 20,000 Points (up to $100 value) as an Anniversary Bonus. Apply by September 27, 2021.
- Earn cash back Travel Rewards. Earn 3% in travel rewards on all eligible travel purchases (6 Points per $1 spent) and earn 1.5% in travel rewards on all other eligible purchases (3 Points per $1 spent).
- Comprehensive insurance. In addition to emergency cash transfer, this card provides worldwide emergency travel insurance for up to 31 days.
- No foreign transaction fees. Only the exchange rate will apply.
What to watch for
- Fees. This Mastercard will set you back $149 annually as a primary cardholder, while each additional card has an annual fee of $50.
- High interest rates. If you carry a balance on your HSBC Mastercard, expect to pay 19.9% interest on purchases and 22.9% on cash advances.
- High annual income requirement. To be eligible for this card, you need to have an annual income of $80,000 as an individual or $150,000 as a household.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Click the green “Go to Site” button above or click here to be securely redirected to the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® application.
- Fill out the standard credit card application, which should take five minutes to complete.
- Review and submit your application.
The bottom line
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® could be your gateway to competitive travel rewards, complimentary membership to airport lounges and month-long travel medical insurance coverage – but only if you meet the minimum income requirements and are willing to pay annual fees. Depending on how much foreign shopping you do, the membership fee can pay for itself with all the savings you get in foreign transaction fees.