HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review
Get a comprehensive suite of travel benefits and earn double the points when you spend money on travel-related purchases.
Get a wide array of travel benefits, comprehensive insurance and a generous welcome offer with this premium travel card.
Purchase Interest Rate
$0 annual fee for the first year ($149 thereafter)
The HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard is a premium travel card that lets you earn points for every dollar you spend on eligible travel purchases and points for every dollar you spend on everything else. It comes with a wide array of travel benefits along with comprehensive insurance and a generous welcome offer.
- Think about this card if you want deluxe travel benefits and a decent return on points.
- Choose something else if you want a low interest rate and no annual fee.
- You need to be an HSBC Premier account holder with a minimum individual income of $80,000 or a household income of $150,000 to qualify.
If you’re looking for a premium travel card with a wide range of frequent flyer benefits, then the HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard could be just the ticket.
- Good points per dollar ratio. Earn three points for every dollar you spend on everyday purchases.
- Double the travel points. Get six points per dollar you spend on travel-related purchases like flights, hotels, rental cars and more
- No foreign transaction fees. Save around 2.5% on every purchase you make abroad with no foreign transaction fees.
- Comprehensive travel benefits. Qualify for a full suite of travel benefits including travel medical insurance and exclusive discounts.
Eligible travel benefits
- Travel medical insurance. Get comprehensive travel medical insurance for 31 days as long as you and your spouse are under the age of 65.
- Additional travel coverage. Benefit from extended insurance to cover unexpected issues with flights, baggage and rental cars.
- Travel enhancement credit. Take advantage of $100 every year to upgrade your flights and cover extra expenses like baggage fees or airport lounge passes.
- Airport lounge discounts. Enjoy lower rates for you and your guests when you enter over 850 airport lounges worldwide.
- Retail discounts. Lock in discounts on food, spa treatments and in-store retail purchases (with savings as high as 20%).
- Hotel discounts. Save up to 10% when you make hotel bookings through Expedia or Agoda on your card.
- Emergency cash transfers. Get up to $5,000 transferred to you in cash if your card is lost or stolen abroad.
- Unlimited Wi-Fi. Access Wi-Fi at over one million Boingo hotspots all over the world.
- Purchase assurance. Relax knowing that the purchases you make with your card will be protected against theft, loss or damage for up to 90 days.
- Extended warranty. Get double the protection with an added year of warranty coverage on eligible purchases made with your card.
- Zero liability protection. Avoid losing money on unauthorized or fraudulent purchases with zero liability protection.
- Instant pay. Save time when you tap to pay with Mastercard contactless payment and Apple Pay.
- Online protection. Use your Mastercard SecureCode to protect your information when you make purchases online.
- No fee for additional cards. Get free additional cards for family members and other authorized users.
- Worldwide acceptance. Shop with confidence when you travel overseas knowing that Mastercard is accepted worldwide.
What to watch out for
- High interest. You’ll pay over high interest on your outstanding balances and even higher interest on cash advances and balance transfers.
- High annual fee. There’s an annual fee for this card, but you may be able to qualify for a $50 annual rebate as an HSBC Premier client.
- Low points value. The value of your points will fluctuate based on what you’re redeeming them for, but you might only get $1 in rewards for every 200 points you earn.
- Minimum income requirements. You’ll need to make a minimum individual income of $80,000 or a household income of $150,000 to qualify.
- Exclusive to HSBC Premier clients. Premier clients have to meet strict eligibility criteria, which can include having at least $100,000 in savings with HSBC.
What should I know before I apply?
How to apply
- Head to the HSBC website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.