HSBC Advance Debit Card Review
Use your HSBC Advance Debit Card to make in-store purchases or withdraw funds from an ATM.
The HSBC Advance Debit Card is a regular debit card with no special features. It lets you access your funds when you shop in-store or need to withdraw cash from an ATM. It doesn’t allow you to shop online or earn rewards when you make purchases.
This card comes automatically with the HSBC Advance Canada Checking Account and you won’t need to pay additional fees to use it.
- Think about this card if you want to open an HSBC Advance Account and you just want a regular debit card.
- Choose something else if you want to earn points when you make purchases or you’d like to use your debit card to shop online.
If you’re looking for a simple debit card that lets you access your money on the go with unlimited free transactions, you might want to consider an HSBC Advance Debit Card.
- Welcome bonus. You may be eligible for a welcome bonus when you sign up for the HSBC Advance Checking Account (which is affiliated with this card).
- Unlimited transactions. You can spend money on this card as much as you want since there are no transaction limits to worry about.
- Free HSBC ATM withdrawals. It’s easy to use your HSBC Debit Card to withdraw cash for free from HSBC ATMs and those on the Exchange network (around 3,500 total).
- ATM rebates. Enjoy five monthly ATM withdrawal fee rebates when you take money out at non-HSBC ATMs in Canada.
- Easy mobile banking. Manage your money on the go with HSBC’s simple online and mobile banking platform.
- Overdraft Protection. Get free overdraft protection to eliminate charges for non-sufficient funds (NSF) if your bank balance dips into the red.
- Transaction records. Track your spending with a transaction record every time you use your HSBC Advance Debit Card.
What to watch out for
- Affiliated account has a fee. You’ll pay a monthly fee to use the account that’s affiliated with this debit card unless you meet eligibility criteria for a fee waiver.
- No online purchases. You won’t be able to use this HSBC Debit Card to shop online since it’s not affiliated with a credit card.
- No rewards. You won’t earn cashback or points whenever you spend money on your HSBC Debit Card.
- No access to credit. You can only spend money that’s already in your account, which means that the HSBC Debit Card isn’t suitable if you’re looking for access to credit.
What should I know before I apply?
You won’t need to apply for an HSBC Debit Card because you’ll get one automatically if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident of Canada.
- You have applied for an HSBC Advance Checking Account.
Required documents and information
To sign up for the HSBC Advance Account, you’ll need to provide the following:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Visit HSBC’s main page to apply for the HSBC Advance Canada Checking Account.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
- Your HSBC Debit Card should come automatically included with your account once you sign up (so you won’t need a separate application).
The HSBC Debit Card is an everyday debit card that lets you spend money in-store and withdraw cash at ATMs. It doesn’t have any special features that are worth noting and it’s not affiliated with a credit card. This means you won’t be able to use it to shop online or to earn rewards when you make purchases. This card comes automatically included when you sign up for the HSBC Advance Checking Account.