Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase upload speed in 7 easy steps
Slow upload speed getting you down? Read our tips on how to improve your service.
Fast internet speeds are more important now than ever. With upload speeds usually lagging behind download speeds, uploading things can be a snail-paced nightmare. Here are few simple tips to increase your speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Investing in healthcare AI stocks
Looking to buy into the healthcare AI industry? Check out these stocks and ETFs, and learn more about how to invest.
How to send money to the United States
How to send money to the USA, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Keep your browsing and system safe with Ivacy VPN August 2021 | Get 87% off
Ivacy VPN protects your data all over the world. Ivacy is fast, popular and works on a variety of platforms.
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
How to start investing in your 20s: The 7 tips for beginners
Read our 7 tips for starting a portfolio if you’re new to investing.
Starlink: Canada pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Elon Musk’s new satellite-based Internet service promises fast broadband across the entire country. Learn here about how it might succeed against 5G.
How to decide which student loans to pay off first
Use these 8 tips to help you decide how to prioritize your student loan repayments.
Where to bulk buy N95, P2 and FFP3 face masks
If you’re looking to outfit your staff in respiratory face masks, these online retailers can help.
How to find the best community bank lender for your small business
Developing a long-term relationship with your local banker can be a great investment for your business.
Olympus Energy Internet Review
Get unlimited high-speed Internet for an affordable price with this discount telecom and energy company.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.