Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase your upload speed
Slow upload speed getting you down? Read our tips on how to improve your service.
Fast internet speeds are more important now than ever. With upload speeds usually lagging behind download speeds, uploading things can be a snail-paced nightmare. Here are few simple tips to increase your speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Starlink: Canada pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Elon Musk’s new satellite-based Internet service promises fast broadband across the entire country. Learn here about how it might succeed against 5G.
14 ways to pay off your student loans faster
Wipe out your student debt faster and save money with these 14 quick tips.
How to decide which student loans to pay off first
Use these 8 tips to help you decide how to prioritize your student loan repayments.
How to find the best community bank lender for your small business
Developing a long-term relationship with your local banker can be a great investment for your business.
Olympus Energy Internet Review
Get unlimited high-speed Internet for an affordable price with this discount telecom and energy company.
Diallog Internet Review
Get unlimited Internet for an affordable price with this basic Internet service provider.
How to use Aeroplan travel charts
Find out how you can use Aeroplan travel charts to figure out how many points you need to save up for your next Aeroplan flight.
Lowe’s Boxing Day sales 2021
Shop the Lowe’s Boxing Day sales event to get all your home improvement products without breaking the bank.
Black Friday Statistics 2020
Black Friday moves online this year and Canadians are expecting deeper discounts than ever before. Check out how we compare globally in our search for the best sales.
How to start a home daycare
From registration and business structures to insurance and marketing – we’ll show you how to get your home daycare business up and running.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.