Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy TenX in Canada
A beginner’s guide to TenX (PAY) and how you can buy and sell this cryptocurrency.
TenX offers a cryptocurrency debit card that aims to make it possible to spend multiple cryptocurrencies whenever and wherever you want. This multi-blockchain card is tied to a mobile-friendly wallet and allows you to spend cryptocurrencies online or offline, and without incurring any foreign exchange or transaction fees.
TenX also provides the PAY token, the value of which is driven by the amount of transactions on the TenX network. Let’s take a closer look at how TenX works, what the PAY token is and how you can buy PAY in Canada.
Where to buy TenX
TenX is available to buy on a wide range of global cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
A step-by-step guide to buying TenX
If you want to buy TenX PAY tokens in Canada, here’s one example of how you can do it using Coinbase, although the process is very similar for most exchanges. Follow the steps below:
Step 1. Create an account at Coinbase
Popular exchange site Coinbase allows you to buy cryptocurrency from Canada. Signing up for an account is free; you’ll need to enter your email address and create a password. To deposit funds into your account, you’ll need to get your account verified by providing your name, contact details and proof of ID.
Depending on how busy the exchange is, verification could take as little as a few hours or as long as a few weeks.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Click the “Deposit” button and deposit some fiat currency using either your credit or debit card on Coinbase. You can then enter the amount you wish to deposit and complete the transaction via your chosen method.
Step 3. Buy TenX
Once the funds have arrived in your account, click on the “Buy/Sell” link at the top of the screen and search for “PAY”. You may have to buy bitcoin (BTC) or Ethereum (ETH) and then trade it for PAY. Once you have acquired one of these cryptocurrencies, you can search for PAY. This will display the current price of PAY tokens and you can then click on the “Buy PAY” button.
If you’re happy to proceed, click “Buy” to confirm and finalize your purchase.
How to sell TenX
If you want to sell your TenX PAY tokens, the process you’ll need to follow is more or less the same as the steps outlined above. However, you’ll obviously need to look for the link “Sell PAY” and then follow the prompts to trade your tokens for whatever cryptocurrency is available in a PAY pairing. Canadian traders cannot sell on Coinbase, so you will have to use another exchange.
Which wallets can I use to hold PAY?
You can download an official TenX wallet from the TenX website. However, this wallet does not yet support ERC20 tokens, so PAY tokens can also be held in any ERC20 enabled wallet, such as:
The three wallets listed above provide native support for the PAY token and don’t require you to perform any extra configuration tasks.
What is TenX and how does it work?
Founded in Singapore in 2015, TenX aims to make cryptocurrencies spendable in the real world. Despite crypto’s rapid rise to prominence in recent times, using bitcoin, Ethereum or some other digital cryptocurrency to pay for your morning coffee or weekly groceries still seems a long way off.
TenX offers a prepaid Visa debit card that allows users to spend major cryptocurrencies anywhere Visa is accepted, with no transaction or foreign exchange fees charged. At the time of writing in January 2018, the TenX card supports two cryptocurrencies:
- bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
However, currencies on the roadmap to be added and in closed-beta for some users are:
- ERC20 tokens with a high trading volume
- Dash (DASH)
TenX is also developing COMIT, the Cryptographically-secure Off-chain Multi-asset Instant Transaction network, an off-chain transaction protocol designed to connect blockchains and allow for faster transaction processing.
What to consider when buying TenX
Buying any cryptocurrency is a complicated and speculative investment that comes with a variety of associated risks attached. You’ll need to make sure you’re fully aware of those risks before deciding whether or not to buy cryptocurrency.
If you’re weighing up the pros and cons of TenX, remember to consider the following factors:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing on 18 January 2018, there was a circulating supply of 104,661,310 PAY tokens, out of a total supply of 205,218,256.
- Value. The value of PAY tokens is determined by the transaction volume TenX processes; the more transactions TenX processes, the more valuable the token is. The value of the token depends on the number of TenX card users and the average spend per user.
- Demand. A critical factor that will determine the success of TenX is whether or not cryptocurrency can become commonly used for daily spending. You’ll need to consider whether there is sufficient demand for the products and services TenX offers to make buying PAY tokens a good idea.
- Competition. Next, you’ll need to consider the market competition TenX faces from other companies offering similar products. For example, Xapo did offer a recently-cancelled bitcoin Visa debit card, while Coinbase offers a Shift Card backed by the Visa network. There are a few other companies operating in the same market sector.
- Existing payment platforms. It’s also worth considering the competition that companies like TenX will face from existing payment providers like Mastercard, Visa and PayPal, all of which are working on their own blockchain-based payment technology.
- Rewards. TenX offers card users a 0.1% reward (paid in PAY tokens) every time they use their TenX card, and there are also plans to reward token holders with 0.5% of all aggregate transaction volume paid out monthly (in Ethereum). However, at the time of writing there, was no date scheduled for the first distribution of these 0.5% rewards.
- Roadmap. You’ll also need to consider what future developments TenX has planned to get an idea of its potential growth and popularity. You’ll find plenty of useful information in the Roadmap section on the company’s website.
More guides on Finder
Crypto curious? 5 things every newbie investor should know
SPONSORED: Is crypto investing right for you? Check out these key considerations before making your first crypto purchase with Wealthsimple.
How to invest in the Purpose Ether Yield ETF (ETHY)
One of the world’s first Bitcoin ETFs to pay a monthly dividend yield is launching on the TSX. Here’s how to invest in Canada.
How to invest in the Purpose Crypto Opportunities ETF (CRYP)
Purpose Investments is preparing to launch another crypto ETF, which will give investors broad exposure to the cryptocurrency industry.
How to invest in the Purpose Bitcoin Yield ETF (BTCY)
Get ready to buy into one of the world’s first Bitcoin ETFs that will pay out a monthly dividend yield. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Canada.
Where to buy melatonin gummies online in Canada 2021
Reset your internal clock and allow yourself to sleep easier when you source melatonin gummies at these leading online stores.
What is NFT Gaming?
Non-fungible tokens are allowing players to own a part of the gaming ecosystem. Find out what NFT gaming is, how players are earning money and how you can get started.
Mintbase is an NFT minting platform. Learn how to create, sell, auction and buy NFTs. Mintbase runs on both the Ethereum and NEAR blockchains.
OpenSea vs Rarible review and comparison
All NFT marketplaces are not created equal. This review explains why OpenSea and Rarible are the cream of the NFT marketplace crop at present.
How to play to earn on Splinterlands
Splinterlands is a play-to-earn NFT game based on the Hive blockchain. Players can collect NFTs and sell them on secondary marketplaces for a profit.
Unstoppable Domains Guide
Discover how to acquire your own domain from Unstoppable Domains.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.