Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy KyberNetwork
A guide to KyberNetwork, how it works and how to buy, sell and trade KyberNetwork Crystal (KNC).
KyberNetwork is a trustless, decentralized cryptocurrency exchange. This Ethereum-based protocol is designed to provide the instant exchange of digital assets and cryptocurrencies with high liquidity.
The KyberNetwork Crystal token (KNC) is used to pay fees on the KyberNetwork platform. To find out how these tokens work, what affects their value and how you can buy KNC in Canada, keep reading.
Where to buy, sell and trade KNC
KNC is available on a number of popular cryptocurrency exchanges, including the following:
How to buy KNC: A step-by-step guide
If you’d like to buy KNC in Canada, you can follow these steps:
Step 1. Register for an account with an exchange that has KNC
Create an account on a cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to buy, sell and trade KNC. Start by entering your email address and creating a password. In order to become a verified member on an exchange, you’ll likely need to provide further details, including your full name and contact information, as well as proof of ID to verify your account.
It’s also recommended that you set up two-factor authentication for increased security.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Click the “Deposit” link and follow the prompts to enter the desired amount you want to transfer.
Many cryptocurrency exchanges don’t allow you to exchange fiat currency for cryptocurrency. If that’s the case with the exchange you choose, you’ll need to own or buy a widely traded crypto first, such as Ethereum (ETH) or bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for KNC.
Step 3. Buy KNC
The final step is to trade your ETH, BTC or other supported crypto pairing for KNC. Click on the “Buy/Sell” link and search for “KNC”. Click on “Buy KNC” and enter either the amount of KNC you want to buy or the amount of fiat or cryptocurrency you want to spend. After reviewing the details of your transaction, including any fee that applies, click “Confirm Buy” if you’re happy to proceed with the purchase.
How to sell KNC
The process for selling KNC is essentially the same as the process outlined in step 3 above, but in reverse. However, it’s also important to be aware that cryptocurrency exchanges only offer specific currency pairings, so it may not be possible to directly exchange your KNC for your desired currency.
KNC tokens are ERC20-compliant tokens on the Ethereum network and can be stored in any Ethereum-compliant wallet, such as the following:
How KyberNetwork works
Announced in 2017, KyberNetwork is the brainchild of blockchain technology developers Loi Luu, Yaron Velner and Victor Tran. Vitalik Buterin, the founder and chief scientist of Ethereum, is also listed as an advisor. Its ICO was held in September 2017 and made headlines after raising around US$60 million in a little over a day.
Central exchanges are unable to provide instant transfers as well as being vulnerable to internal fraud and external hacking. To combat this, the developers set out to create a decentralized exchange that allows for the instant exchange and conversion of cryptocurrency coins and tokens.
The aim of KyberNetwork is to allow users to hold coins in their own wallets and to exchange them instantly for other tokens using smart contracts. KyberNetwork claims this will allow it to offer the following:
- The ability to transfer tokens to anyone
- The ability to pay someone else in any token, using the tokens you own
- Instant trades with no waiting around to receive your tokens
- High liquidity (rather than maintaining a global order book, KyberNetwork maintains a reserve warehouse which holds an appropriate amount of crypto tokens)
- Trustless trading on a network that is secure against attacks
- Compatibility with existing smart contracts
What to consider before you buy KNC
Buying cryptocurrency is complicated and speculative, with several risks you need to be aware of before you purchase any cryptos. If you’re thinking of buying KNC, make sure you take the following factors into consideration first:
- Supply. A total of 226,000,000 KNC were minted during the KyberNetwork ICO, with a little over 61% of that amount distributed to public participants. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing on 23 January 2018, there were 134,132,697 KNC in circulation.
- Token use. A reserve manager maintains the reserve of tokens, determines exchange rates and feeds the rates to the KyberNetwork. KNC tokens are needed to operate a reserve, with a small KNC fee charged to the reserve each time an exchange takes place. Those fees cover network operational costs and are also used to reward third parties (for example wallets and blockchain explorers) that introduce additional trade volume to the platform.
- Burning of tokens. Once the KNC tokens generated from fees have been used to cover operational costs and reward third parties, those tokens will be taken out of circulation. This will eventually cause the circulating supply of KNC to decrease.
- Commercial partnerships. It’s important to stay in the loop when it comes to the commercial partnerships any crypto has with other companies in order to understand their potential for growth and development. For example, KyberNetwork has recently partnered with interconnecting blockchain network ICON and Ethereum payment service Coinduck.
- Roadmap. If you want to know what future technological developments are scheduled for KyberNetwork, check out the “Roadmap” section on the company’s website. For example, support for cross-chain trading is slated for introduction in early 2019, which means that in the short term, KyberNetwork will only be able to support the trading of ERC20 tokens.
- Market competition. It’s also important to consider the competition KyberNetwork will face from other companies operating in the same sector. For example, OmiseGO and 0x are two other cryptocurrency exchange projects worth researching.
More guides on Finder
Can you open an IG Markets account in Canada?
You can’t open an IG Markets account if you live in Canada – but that doesn’t mean you’re not out of options.
How to find the best stock trading platform for online investing
Research and compare the best stock trading platforms to find the right one for your financial needs.
How to buy Palantir stock (PLTR) from Canada
This renowned software firm is opening up to public investors. Canadian investors can buy stocks through a Canadian broker that provides access to US stock exchanges.
How to buy JFrog stock (FROG) in Canada
It’s possible to buy JFrog stock through a Canadian trading platform that offers access to international stock exchanges like the Nasdaq.
How to buy stock in Snowflake in Canada
Learn how to invest in Snowflake from Canada when the company goes public.
Alternative exchanges and sites like Kraken
Find the best alternatives to Kraken. See other sites and exchanges where you can trade cryptocurrency on margin like Kraken.
A simple guide to margin trading cryptocurrency
Read our comprehensive guide to cryptocurrency margin trading, how it works and the benefits and risks you should consider before you start trading.
Alternatives to Charles Schwab Canada
Learn about some suitable alternatives to Charles Schwab that you can use to make trades in Canada.
Compound (COMP): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the COMP cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Thorchain (RUNE): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the RUNE cryptocurrency with this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.