Sonnet home insurance review
Apply for a quote and insure your house in a matter of minutes with this reputable online home insurance provider.
What is Sonnet home insurance?
Sonnet is a reputable insurance company that provides Canadians with an easy, transparent and customized way to buy home and auto insurance online. It was established in 2016 as a part of the Economical Insurance family and underwrites all of its own insurance products. This means your insurance will come directly from Sonnet rather than a third-party provider.
While relatively new to the home insurance space, Sonnet offers comprehensive policies to protect you against financial losses as a result of damage to your home and belongings. These policies include personal liability coverage if a visitor is injured while visiting you. You can also pay extra for add-ons such as sewer backup and overland water protection.
What’s covered with Sonnet home insurance?
Sonnet home insurance offers a number of different insurance packages, based on your unique set of needs and budget.
Standard insurance includes all mandatory coverage that gets automatically included in your home insurance policy.
- Risk insurance. Covers common types of damage to your home resulting from weather events such as high winds or storms, along with other mishaps.
- Liability insurance. Reimburses you for expenses you might incur as a result of a visitor being injured in your home.
- Dwelling and detached structures. Pays to repair or rebuild detached buildings on your property such as garages and sheds.
- Coverage for belongings. Insures a portion of the value of your possessions if they get damaged in your home as a result of a covered loss.
- Extra expenses. Gives you a daily allowance to cover extra expenses if you need to stay in a hotel or with family or friends while your home is being repaired.
- Identity theft. Helps you pay for legal fees and other expenses if your identity is stolen (this coverage is also available to anyone else covered by your policy).
You can pay extra to add special coverages to your standard insurance. These include the following:
- Sewer backup. Covers costs related to water backing up in your home through a sewer, sump, septic tank or floor drain.
- Overland water. Pays for damages caused by fresh water such as excessive rain or melting snow coming in at ground level through windows and doors.
- Custom belongings. Offers you an extra layer of coverage to pay for expensive items such as high-end bicycles, jewelry, fine art and other valuables.
Above and beyond insurance
Above and beyond insurance is added on to your policy when you commit to paying a higher premium for a higher level of protection for your valuables. This coverage includes:
- First claim forgiveness. Protects you against rate increases after you file your first claim.
- Replacement cost guarantee. Allows you to settle claims at replacement cost, even if you decide not to repair or replace the damaged items.
- Enhanced deductible waiver. Waives your deductible for claims of $10,000 or more (except for those caused by earthquakes).
What exclusions do I need to know about?
Some of the exclusions you may run into with Sonnet home insurance policies include:
- Natural disasters. You may not be covered for damage resulting from natural disasters like earthquakes or floods unless you pay extra for this insurance.
- Regular wear and tear. You won’t be covered for damage that is considered regular wear and tear (such as needing to replace an appliance after years of use).
- Lack of maintenance. Your claim may not be valid if the damage to your home is a result of inconsistent or faulty maintenance.
- Damage caused by pests. You won’t be covered for any damage caused by rodents, insects and other pests.
- Fraudulent losses. You won’t be paid out for fraudulent claims on your home insurance and you may even face legal consequences if you attempt to file this type of claim.
How can I save on Sonnet home insurance?
There are a number of ways to save money on your Sonnet home insurance, which include the following:
- Maintain a claims-free status for five years or more
- Insure more than one property at a time
- Bundle your home and auto insurance policies with Sonnet
How to apply for Sonnet home insurance
If you want to apply for Sonnet home insurance, you can follow a couple of simple steps to get started.
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application to generate a quote.
- Get verified and negotiate the terms of your Sonnet home insurance.
How to contact Sonnet
You can contact Sonnet by signing in to your online account to speak to an agent. You can also send an email or speak to an online chat bot for general inquiries. There doesn’t seem to be a phone number that you can call if you have questions or you want an over-the-phone quote. However, there is a claims phone number you can call if you need to file a claim.
Benefits and drawbacks of Sonnet home insurance
- Easy application. You can apply for a quote online in a matter of minutes and get approved on the same day.
- Low prices. Customer reviews indicate Sonnet consistently offers some of the lowest prices on the market when you initially sign up.
- Comprehensive standard coverage. Sonnet offers a comprehensive standard insurance package that extends beyond what many of its competitors offer.
- Additional add-ons. You can pay more to get special protection for water damage and extended coverage for valuables.
- Bonus insurance. You may be able to qualify for bonus insurance such as first claim forgiveness and a deductible waiver if you add extra coverage for your valuables. Discounts for bundling. You’ll save up to 20% on your premiums if you bundle your home and auto insurance together.
- Some exclusions apply. You’ll have to pay extra to get covered for typical exclusions like overland water, sewer backup and damage to valuable belongings.
- Mixed customer reviews. While Sonnet has some positive feedback online, it has low ratings on several review websites.
- Increased prices at renewal. Many customers indicate their home insurance prices went up unexpectedly during renewal.
- No in-person service. You won’t be able to go into Sonnet in person to discuss your home insurance needs.
- Only accessible in certain provinces. Sonnet only offers home insurance in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and British Columbia.
Sonnet home insurance offers competitive upfront pricing and a quick application process. You can apply for your policy in a matter of minutes and get customized coverage to meet your unique set of needs and budget. Just be aware that some customers indicate that despite low prices, you may end up with a higher bill when it comes time for renewal. Find out more about Sonnet home insurance and apply for a quote to get the ball rolling today.