Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Hide.Me Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
How to use Hide.Me’s VPN to access restricted content such as Netflix (US), BBC iPlayer, Hulu Plus and more.
Hide.Me is a VPN provider that will set you up with an account and provide support to do so. It has a slick website, a blog full of tips on online security, and an affordable pricing scheme. The organisation is based in Malaysia, where companies are not required by law to track subscriber activity. Due to this, they can guarantee users a high level of security. Using a VPN service like hide.me is the easiest way to access restricted content, such as Netflix’s US content library (far bigger than Canada’s one). It’s also a way to protect yourself from hackers stealing sensitive information.
How to set up Hide.Me on a Mac
- Go to ‘System Preferences’ and click on ‘Network’.
- Click on ‘Plus’ in the lower left-hand corner.
- In the box that pops up, select ‘VPN’ as the interface, and ‘Cisco IPSec’ as the VPN type. Set the service name to ‘Canada VPM’.
- Set as ‘Server Address’: free-ca.hide.me, your username as ‘Account Name’, and tick ‘Show VPN status in menu bar’.
- Click on ‘Authentication Settings’
- Enter hide.io as ‘Shared Secret’. Click ‘Okay’ and ‘Advanced’.
- Click on ‘Apply’.
- To establish your VPN connection, click on ‘connect’.
- Congrats! You should be done. If your connection has been successfully established, the status will be shown in the menu bar.
Hide.Me VPN pros and cons
- Access to restricted content and resources. Get Netflix (US), Hulu, Amazon Plus, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Guides and assistance available. Setting up a VPN isn’t easy for everyone. hide.me has plenty of guides and support available to get you through the process.
- Secure your Wi-Fi. Take the steps you need to protect from government surveillance and identity theft.
- Strong encryption. Secure important information like passwords and bank details that hackers often target.
- Discounts for up front payments. Pay for one year in advance, and receive discounts of up to 45%.
- Cost. If you plan to use your VPN frequently, you may need to consider one of the payment options.
- Complicated to set up. If you’re not tech savvy, setting up a VPN can be a complicated purpose.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Easy Financial creditplus loan review
If you have bad credit or no credit history at all, Easy Financial’s creditplus loan helps you improve your credit score so you can secure a loan within months.
2M7 Merchant Cash Advance Review
2M7 provides up to 125% of your average monthly sales in a merchant cash advance that you’ll repay incrementally based on your daily sales transactions.
Annual renewable term life insurance
Think of this as a one-year contract with your life insurance company.
Canada Auto Finance Review
Do you need a car loan but you don’t have the best credit? Canada Auto Finance connects you with local dealers to help you secure auto financing at competitive rates to help you buy a car.
RBC High Interest eSavings Account review
Earn a reasonably high interest rate on your savings and pay no monthly fees when you sign up for this online account.
Best stock trading platforms for online trading
Research and compare the best stock trading platforms to find the right one for your financial needs.
Why is my internet so slow?
If you’re suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, internet congestion may be to blame.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
Compare top international banks
An international bank account can offer special features to make foreign transactions easier and more affordable. Here’s how they work and what to compare.
Wallet by BudgetBakers review
Wallet helps you organize your money and personalize budgets and goals. We take a look at its features, pros, cons and premium options.