Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
The ultimate gym comparison for 2021 | What’s the best gym in Canada?
We break down popular gym chains in Canada for number of locations, prices, hours and classes to help you find the perfect one for you.
Choosing a gym can depend on what you want from your experience, whether that involves a good range of classes to keep you motivated, plenty of equipment to help you to work towards your fitness goals, or somewhere that’s open 27/7 so you can work out around your busy schedule. Plus, it’s not always easy to find the information you need about memberships and facilities, especially on franchised gym websites.
That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and gathered a lot of the info you’ll need to make an informed decision about which gym to join.
Compare gym chains in Canada
|Gym||No. of gyms||Joining fee||Cost||24 hours||Classes||Further information|
|Good Life||255+||$99.99||from $34.99 bi weekly||most locations||yes||Full review|
|Anytime Fitness||210+||$49||from $49 per month||yes||yes||Full review|
|Lifetime||3||contact individual clubs||from $119 per month||no||yes||Full review|
|Equinox||3||$300 initiation fee||from $181 per month||no||yes||Full review|
|Snap Fitness||40+||contact individual clubs||contact individual clubs||yes||yes||Full review|
|Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club||20+||depends on the program||from $7.50 biweekly||no||yes||Full review|
|Planet Fitness||40+||$39||from $15 per month; $24.99 per month (PF Black Card)||no||no||Full review|
|Fit4Less||20+||$44 (4 Less Card membership)||from $4.99 per fortnight||yes||yes||Full review|
|World Gym||20+||$99||Basic membership starts at $10 per month||most locations||yes||Full review|
Which of these gyms is best?
- Cheapest: Fit4Less has the lowest ongoing fee, starting at $4.99 per fortnight
- Opening hours: Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness and Fit4Less are all open 24 hours a day
- Locations: Good Life and Anytime have the most locations, with 255 and 210 respectively.
You might prefer an online fitness program – If you’d rather workout at home but you still need structure, you can try out a workout from home program. Read our guides on where to buy gym and fitness equipment for home use:
1. Good Life
- No of gyms: 255+ across Canada, with 100+ as For Women clubs
- Joining fee? $99.99
- Cost of membership: From $34.99 bi weekly.
- 24 hours? A lot of locations have 24/7 access
- Classes? They offer a range of classes including ones based on cardio, strength, mind and body, cycling, aqua, toning, dance, hot yoga, GRIT high intensity exercise and virtual fitness.
- Facilities: Massage chairs; sauna; swimming pools, squash courts, tanning and hot yoga at some locations; JUMP! Child Minding Program; personal training
- Pros: Introductory programs; virtual fitness options; 100+ locations are For Women Clubs or have women-only areas; child minding at some locations; Good Life Rewards Program with savings of up to 30% on local and national brands.
2. Anytime Fitness
- Cost of membership: From $49 per month, depending on location.
- 24 hours? Members get 24/7 access and security at all locations.
- Classes? A range of free classes are available including spin cycle ones.
- Facilities: 24 hour access and security; private restrooms; private showers; convenient parking at most locations; cardio equipment; strength machines; free weights; functional training equipment
- Pros: Open all the time; members get worldwide club access at all Anytime Fitness locations; fitness consultations are available; personal training; group training;
- No of gyms: 3 locations in Canada (Ajax, Vaughan and Mississauga)
- Cost of membership: From $119 per month. Day passes are also available and range from $35 to $225 for 1-5 passes.
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of classes are available.
- Facilities: Luxury locker rooms at most locations; Pilates, cycle and yoga classes; tennis, squash and racquetball facilities; LifeSpas; LifeCafe; LifeClinic Chiropractic offices;
- Pros: Personal training and TEAM small group training; weight loss programming; health assessments; Child Center; nutritional coaching
- No of gyms: 3 locations in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver)
- Joining fee? $300 initiation fee
- Cost of membership: From $181 per month
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of classes are available, including cycling, running, cardio and dance based ones.
- Facilities: Filtered water stations; steam rooms; saunas; lockers; permanent locker rental available for small fee; Pilates and yoga studio,
- Pros: Unlimited group classes; fitness assessments; 2 hours of babysitting available through the Kids Club for a small fee; personal training.
5. Snap Fitness
- Cost of membership: Only available by contacting individual clubs
- 24 hour access? Yes
- Classes? Group classes are available
- Facilities: Private bathrooms; tanning; private showers; HDTV; cardio equipment; strength equipment; free weights area
- Pros: Personal training; nutrition consultations; fitness on demand; no contract memberships
6. Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club
- No of gyms: 23 locations in British Columbia
- Cost of membership: From $7.50 biweekly
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of options are available including ones based on cardio, yoga and stretch, aqua, strength, cycling and speciality classes such as kettlebell workouts.
- Facilities: Steam and sauna areas; towel facilities at some locations; personal training support including tailored nutrition advice
- Pros: Some locations have women-only areas
7. Planet Fitness
- Cost of membership: From $15 per month. Or $24.99 per month with the PF Black Card
- 24 hours? No
- Classes? No
- Facilities: A range of cardio and strength equipment; free Wi-Fi; locker rooms. With the PF Black Card, members also get access to tanning facilities, hydromassage and massage chairs, plus Total Body Enhancement.
- Pros: No commitment with 4 Less Card membership; free fitness training.
- Cost of membership: From $4.99 per fortnight
- Joining fee? $44 joining fee on the 4 Less Card membership
- 24 hours? Yes
- Facilities: Cardio and strength equipment; free weights area. Black Card Benefits also entitle members to access tanning and massage chairs. Choosing rate guarantee means your membership doesn’t go up while you’re with them.
9. World Gym
- No of gyms: 20+ locations in Canada
- Cost of membership: Basic membership starts at $10 per month.
- 24 hours? Most locations offer 24/7 access.
- Classes? Group classes are available.
- Facilities: Cardio equipment; free weights’; strength machines; locker rooms; sauna facilities; private workout studio for women at some locations
- Pros: Personal training and coaching is available. VIP membership also allows access to tanning, hydromassage; group exercise classes and on site child care.
More guides on Finder
Best stocks in the US: Top picks for May 2021
Our algorithm selected 20 US stocks worth watching in 2021.
Nova Scotia travel restrictions: Where you can go in May 2021
Get in the know about Nova Scotia’s travel restrictions to plan your next getaway.
Where to buy bamboo underwear online 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on bamboo underwear styles for men and women online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy teeth whitening kits online in Canada | May 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on the things you need to achieve a whiter and brighter smile at any of these prime online retailers.
Dollar Shave Club discount codes and coupons May 2021
Look and feel fresh each and every day with razors, shaving creams, after shave lotions and more delivered to your door.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5 in Canada 2021
Cut costs on the latest must-have PS5 games and accessories with one of our discount codes at any of these online stores.
Where to buy bamboo sheets online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on bamboo sheets at any of these leading stores.
Yeti discount codes and coupons May 2021: FREE shipping
Yeti outdoor coolers, drink bottles and gear are built for the wild. They’re made to last and improve your time outdoors.
Quebec travel restrictions: Where you can go in May 2021
Keen to know what’s open again? Here’s our guide to Quebec’s travel restrictions.
Ontario travel restrictions: Where you can go in May 2021
Find out how to get out and explore with our guide to Ontario travel restrictions.