Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
The ultimate gym comparison for 2022 | What’s the best gym in Canada?
We break down popular gym chains in Canada for number of locations, prices, hours and classes to help you find the perfect one for you.
Choosing a gym can depend on what you want from your experience, whether that involves a good range of classes to keep you motivated, plenty of equipment to help you to work towards your fitness goals, or somewhere that’s open 27/7 so you can work out around your busy schedule. Plus, it’s not always easy to find the information you need about memberships and facilities, especially on franchised gym websites.
That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and gathered a lot of the info you’ll need to make an informed decision about which gym to join.
Compare gym chains in Canada
|Gym||No. of gyms||Joining fee||Cost||24 hours||Classes||Further information|
|Good Life||255+||$99.99||from $34.99 bi weekly||most locations||yes||Full review|
|Anytime Fitness||210+||$49||from $49 per month||yes||yes||Full review|
|Lifetime||3||contact individual clubs||from $119 per month||no||yes||Full review|
|Equinox||3||$300 initiation fee||from $181 per month||no||yes||Full review|
|Snap Fitness||40+||contact individual clubs||contact individual clubs||yes||yes||Full review|
|Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club||20+||depends on the program||from $7.50 biweekly||no||yes||Full review|
|Planet Fitness||40+||$39||from $15 per month; $24.99 per month (PF Black Card)||no||no||Full review|
|Fit4Less||20+||$44 (4 Less Card membership)||from $4.99 per fortnight||yes||yes||Full review|
|World Gym||20+||$99||Basic membership starts at $10 per month||most locations||yes||Full review|
Which of these gyms is best?
- Cheapest: Fit4Less has the lowest ongoing fee, starting at $4.99 per fortnight
- Opening hours: Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness and Fit4Less are all open 24 hours a day
- Locations: Good Life and Anytime have the most locations, with 255 and 210 respectively.
You might prefer an online fitness program – If you’d rather workout at home but you still need structure, you can try out a workout from home program. Read our guides on where to buy gym and fitness equipment for home use:
1. Good Life
- No of gyms: 255+ across Canada, with 100+ as For Women clubs
- Joining fee? $99.99
- Cost of membership: From $34.99 bi weekly.
- 24 hours? A lot of locations have 24/7 access
- Classes? They offer a range of classes including ones based on cardio, strength, mind and body, cycling, aqua, toning, dance, hot yoga, GRIT high intensity exercise and virtual fitness.
- Facilities: Massage chairs; sauna; swimming pools, squash courts, tanning and hot yoga at some locations; JUMP! Child Minding Program; personal training
- Pros: Introductory programs; virtual fitness options; 100+ locations are For Women Clubs or have women-only areas; child minding at some locations; Good Life Rewards Program with savings of up to 30% on local and national brands.
2. Anytime Fitness
- Cost of membership: From $49 per month, depending on location.
- 24 hours? Members get 24/7 access and security at all locations.
- Classes? A range of free classes are available including spin cycle ones.
- Facilities: 24 hour access and security; private restrooms; private showers; convenient parking at most locations; cardio equipment; strength machines; free weights; functional training equipment
- Pros: Open all the time; members get worldwide club access at all Anytime Fitness locations; fitness consultations are available; personal training; group training;
- No of gyms: 3 locations in Canada (Ajax, Vaughan and Mississauga)
- Cost of membership: From $119 per month. Day passes are also available and range from $35 to $225 for 1-5 passes.
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of classes are available.
- Facilities: Luxury locker rooms at most locations; Pilates, cycle and yoga classes; tennis, squash and racquetball facilities; LifeSpas; LifeCafe; LifeClinic Chiropractic offices;
- Pros: Personal training and TEAM small group training; weight loss programming; health assessments; Child Center; nutritional coaching
- No of gyms: 3 locations in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver)
- Joining fee? $300 initiation fee
- Cost of membership: From $181 per month
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of classes are available, including cycling, running, cardio and dance based ones.
- Facilities: Filtered water stations; steam rooms; saunas; lockers; permanent locker rental available for small fee; Pilates and yoga studio,
- Pros: Unlimited group classes; fitness assessments; 2 hours of babysitting available through the Kids Club for a small fee; personal training.
5. Snap Fitness
- Cost of membership: Only available by contacting individual clubs
- 24 hour access? Yes
- Classes? Group classes are available
- Facilities: Private bathrooms; tanning; private showers; HDTV; cardio equipment; strength equipment; free weights area
- Pros: Personal training; nutrition consultations; fitness on demand; no contract memberships
6. Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club
- No of gyms: 23 locations in British Columbia
- Cost of membership: From $7.50 biweekly
- 24 hour access? No
- Classes? A range of options are available including ones based on cardio, yoga and stretch, aqua, strength, cycling and speciality classes such as kettlebell workouts.
- Facilities: Steam and sauna areas; towel facilities at some locations; personal training support including tailored nutrition advice
- Pros: Some locations have women-only areas
7. Planet Fitness
- Cost of membership: From $15 per month. Or $24.99 per month with the PF Black Card
- 24 hours? No
- Classes? No
- Facilities: A range of cardio and strength equipment; free Wi-Fi; locker rooms. With the PF Black Card, members also get access to tanning facilities, hydromassage and massage chairs, plus Total Body Enhancement.
- Pros: No commitment with 4 Less Card membership; free fitness training.
- Cost of membership: From $4.99 per fortnight
- Joining fee? $44 joining fee on the 4 Less Card membership
- 24 hours? Yes
- Facilities: Cardio and strength equipment; free weights area. Black Card Benefits also entitle members to access tanning and massage chairs. Choosing rate guarantee means your membership doesn’t go up while you’re with them.
9. World Gym
- No of gyms: 20+ locations in Canada
- Cost of membership: Basic membership starts at $10 per month.
- 24 hours? Most locations offer 24/7 access.
- Classes? Group classes are available.
- Facilities: Cardio equipment; free weights’; strength machines; locker rooms; sauna facilities; private workout studio for women at some locations
- Pros: Personal training and coaching is available. VIP membership also allows access to tanning, hydromassage; group exercise classes and on site child care.
More guides on Finder
Where to buy the QuickVue at-home rapid COVID test in Canada
Find QuickVue in stock and learn what to expect with a kit that offers you two tests for more conclusive results.
Harry Rosen coupon codes January 2022 | FREE express shipping on all orders
Cut costs on designer fashion and accessories for men at Harry Rosen with one of the awesome coupon codes and deals we’ve rounded up.
CBD Magic discount codes January 2022 | 40% off coupon when you subcribe
Check out these discount codes and see how much you could save on the products on offer at CBD Magic.
ShoeDazzle promo codes January 2022 | Boot shop from $8.74
Shoe Dazzle has been spoiling women since 2009. This revolutionary way to shop for shoes and fashion is fun and exciting. Enjoy.
COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests: What you need to know
Find out how rapid antigen tests work, where to get one in Canada, how much a rapid antigen test costs and more.
Where to buy melatonin gummies online in Canada 2022
Reset your internal clock and allow yourself to sleep easier when you source melatonin gummies at these leading online stores.
Where to buy Halloween treat bags online in Canada 2022
Collect loads of treats this Halloween with these cute and colourful Halloween treat bags from top online retailers in Canada.
Rapid Test & Trace coupon codes January 2022
Cut costs on accurate antigen tests online at Rapid Test & Trace with one of the active coupon codes we’ve rounded up.
The best Black Friday tablet deals in 2022
Whether you’re looking for an Apple iPad, a Surface Pro or a Galaxy Tab, check out these Black Friday tablet deals.