Esso and Mobil Business Credit Card Review
The Esso and Mobil Business Credit Card offers fuel discounts for small businesses. It lets you track expenses all in one place and monitor purchases made with every card linked to your account. You'll also be able to place restrictions on what kinds of purchases your drivers can make.
Qualify for fuel discounts based on the volume of gas purchased.
This card is suitable for fleet and commercial transport companies, as well as small businesses that pay for employee gas top-ups. There are no benefits offered with this card aside from detailed payment tracking and gas discounts, but you also won’t have to pay any additional fees to use your card.
- Get this card if you want to track your small business fuel expenses and you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Choose something else if you’re looking for a personal credit card or you want comprehensive benefits.
- There’s no minimum annual income to qualify for this card listed on the website.
If you run a small fleet of company cars or offer employee fuel top-ups as part of business operations, then the Esso and Mobil Business Credit Card could be the right fit for you. This card lets you track your expenses and save money on gas at no extra fee.
You can also control what your employees purchase by placing restrictions on the card. For example, some employers choose to opt for an all-in card that lets their drivers buy whatever they want in-store while others limit purchases to fuel and car washes only.
As for how much you’ll save on gas? This depends on the overall volume of fuel purchased. There’s no set formula to figure out how much you can save, but you can call in to customer service to get a quote based on how much fuel you think you’ll use for the year.
- No fee. This card comes with no annual fee.
- Expense tracking. Find out where, when and how much money is being spent on your account using handy online tracking tools.
- Fuel discounts. Qualify for fuel discounts based on the volume of gas purchased.
- Linked accounts. Sync your credit card and Esso extra points cards together so that drivers can start earning in one easy swipe.
What to watch out for
- No rewards. This card doesn’t offer any cashback or rewards points, but you can link it to your Esso Extra loyalty card.
- Few benefits. You won’t be able to take advantage of any basics like purchase protection, extended warranty coverage or travel insurance.
- No fraud protection. There’s no mention of Zero Liability Protection on the website, which means you could be held accountable for fraudulent purchases made on your account.
What do other customers say?
Many small business owners enjoy the fuel discounts and detailed tracking program that come with this card. Satisfied customers are typically regulars at Esso, and appreciate that you can link credit cards to Esso Extra points cards through a one-swipe Speedpass key tag. Some cardholders are less than enthused with the lack of basics like purchase protection and extended warranty coverage on offer, and don’t like that the card doesn’t give cashback or rewards points.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Head to the Esso website to begin your application.
- Read through the Disclosure Statement details and click Accept & Continue.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, social insurance number, income information and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
Compare other business credit cards
The Esso and Mobil Business Credit Card is a good option for small business owners with less than 10 vehicles. This card will let you earn discounts on fuel and monitor how much your drivers spend through one easy platform. The card is fee-free and can be used at over 2,000 Esso locations across Canada, but it doesn’t offer comprehensive insurance or additional rewards.