Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Get a payday loan on a prepaid debit card
Borrow money and have it loaded into a prepaid debit card instead of your bank account.
If you’re looking to take out a payday loan but don’t have a valid bank account or don’t want to use it, you have options. Nowadays, some payday lenders offer fast cash by loading funds into a prepaid debit card. These debit cards are typically branded with Visa or Mastercard, giving you flexibility to pay bills or swipe for necessities in-store and online.
⚠️ Warning: Be cautious with payday loansPayday loans are expensive. If you're experiencing financial hardship call Credit Counselling Canada for free financial counselling (Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm at +1 866-398-5999). Consider payday loan alternatives:
- Visit 211.ca. A free and confidential service that connects you to organizations that can help with finances, food, housing and more.
- Debt relief companies. There are services to help you reduce your debt payments.
- Payment extensions. Talk with bill providers about longer payment plans or due-date extensions.
- Side jobs. Sell unwanted items online, sign up for food delivery and more.
Prepaid debit card payday loans
What are prepaid debit cards?
A prepaid debit card essentially works like a reloadable gift card. After money is loaded into a prepaid card, you can use your card like you would any debit or credit card. Once you spend the money in your prepaid card, you can reload it or throw it away.
How do payday loans with prepaid debit cards work?
You can apply either online or in-store to get a payday loan with a prepaid debit card. Once you’ve been approved, the lender will transfer your funds into a prepaid card and either hand it to you in person or mail it to you.
You’ll need to register the card in your name either in person, by phone or online. Once you’ve registered your card, you can use it anywhere Visa or Mastercard is accepted. You can use the card in-store, online, at ATMs to withdraw cash or to pay bills.
How do I repay my debit card payday loan?
If you have a chequing account, the lender will withdraw from it on the due date. If you don’t have a chequing account, you can visit one of the stores to repay your debit card loan in person.
What do I need to get a payday loan with a prepaid card?
While requirements can vary among lenders, you would generally need to meet the following criteria:
- Be the age of majority in your province or territory.
- Be a Canadian citizen or resident.
- Provide government-issued ID, such as your driver’s licence
- Provide proof of recurring income, such as employment income or government benefits
Benefits of debit card payday loans
Prepaid debit cards offer the flexibility to discreetly spend your payday loan funds anywhere your card is accepted. Here are the benefits to consider:
- Widely accepted. You can use a prepaid card wherever Visa or Mastercard is accepted.
- Quick and easy access to funds. If you apply in person, you can walk in and walk out with your prepaid card.
- Reloadable. After paying off your first loan, you can reload your prepaid card with a new loan.
- No bank account required. The lender deposits your funds into your prepaid debit card rather than your bank account.
- Direct deposits. Prepaid cards can receive direct deposits, offering a quick way to access your paycheque, tax refunds and government benefits.
- Potential rewards. Some prepaid card providers allow you to earn cash rewards with your spending.
- Bad credit below 560 is OK. As long as you can demonstrate your ability to repay your loan, your credit score isn’t the biggest factor for approval.
What to watch out for
- High borrowing fees. Payday loans charge considerably higher fees than other types of loans. The fees are regulated by the provincial governments, and rates vary.
- Fee to activate or use. You may be charged a fee to use or activate the prepaid debit card.
- Short repayment terms. As the name implies, your loan is typically due on your next payday. Make sure it won’t strain your budget too much before you apply.
- Cycle of debt. Make sure you’ll have enough income left over to pay for other debts once you repay your payday loan. If not, you may be inclined to take out another payday loan.
- Disreputable lenders. Plenty of shady lenders are out there trying to take advantage of people in urgent need of funds. A legitimate payday lender abides by provincial regulations and properly assesses your ability to repay a loan.
How to avoid a payday loan scam
Prepaid debit card vs. cash vs. direct deposit vs. e-transfer payday loans
Four ways to get your payday loan are through a prepaid card, cold hard cash, direct deposit and e-transfer. Keep in mind that not all lenders offer all options.
|Funding option||Where you can apply||Typical turnaround time||When is this option best?|
|Prepaid card||Online or in-store||Instant if you get the card in-store, instant if you use an existing prepaid card, a few business days if a new card is being mailed to you|
|Cash at a store||Online or in-store||Instant|
|Direct deposit||Online||1 business day|
|E-transfer||Online or in-store||As little as a few minutes after approval with Interac|
Compare online payday loans
If you prefer to apply online and get your funds via e-transfer or direct deposit, compare payday lenders below that offer this.
What to consider before applying for debit card loans
Before you apply for a debit card payday loan, consider how you’ll repay it. Payday loans are notorious because of their high borrowing cost. Late or missed payments can lead to fees and penalties, and defaulting on your loan could result in long-term damage to your overall credit.
Payday loans are regulated by the provincial or federal government to help protect you against predatory lending. Before applying for a payday loan, confirm that the lender is licensed and follows all government regulations. Before signing a contract, review the terms and conditions of your loan, and ask questions about anything you don’t understand.
Finally, explore alternatives to payday loans first.
Even though your payday loan options are more limited when you don’t have a bank account, some lenders can work with you. To learn more about payday loans, check out our comprehensive guide to payday loans.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Why payday lenders ask for your bank account details
Find out why payday lenders request your bank account details and what your options are if you don’t want to share that information.
Payday loans open on Sunday
Our handy guide answers if it’s possible to get a payday loan on a Sunday.
Safe online payday loans
Worried about your privacy and information safety with payday loans? Read on to find out how you can secure a safe payday loan online.
Many lenders allow you to take out a loan on your mobile phone. Find out how to apply for a loan on your cell phone.
Direct deposit payday loan
Finder Canada explains their benefits and issues of direct deposit payday loans.
Weekend payday loans in Canada
Our guide explains how you can compare and apply for a fast weekend payday loan.