Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Dash (DASH) price prediction 2021
What might the future hold for the price of Dash?
Launched in 2014, Dash (DASH) is an altcoin with a focus on privacy and fast transactions. As one of the top 20 biggest cryptocurrencies by market cap at the time of writing in March 2018, Dash has attracted plenty of interest from crypto enthusiasts around the world.
However, in a highly competitive market known for its volatility, you’ll need to assess whether Dash is well placed to rise in value before deciding whether you should buy any coins. To do that, we need to take a closer look at how Dash works and the challenges and opportunities it will encounter in the months and years ahead.
|Launch date||18 January 2014 (as XCoin)|
Rebranded to Darkcoin on 18/01/2014 and then to Dash on 25/03/2015
Dash price prediction
Predicting the future price of any cryptocurrency is difficult. Not only are cryptocurrencies complicated and highly volatile, but their prices can be impacted both positively and negatively by a wide range of variables.
The table below outlines some of the key factors you’ll need to assess when calculating what the future holds for Dash:
What could drive Dash’s growth?
- Supply. The maximum supply of Dash is capped at 18,900,000. According to CoinMarketCap, the circulating supply of the coin at the time of writing on 07 March 2018 was 7,930,891 DASH. This limited supply could potentially result in increased demand in the future.
- Demand. The popularity of privacy coins shows that there is a demand among the crypto community for currencies that offer security and anonymity. Fast and affordable transactions are also sought after, and these are all areas which Dash aims to tackle.
- PrivateSend and InstantSend. Dash’s InstantSend feature allows payments to be confirmed in under a second, while PrivateSend mixes your transaction inputs with those of other users to obscure the origins of your funds and protect your privacy.
- Advantages over bitcoin. Dash is able to offer faster and cheaper transactions than bitcoin, the world’s biggest and most visible cryptocurrency. This could increase its legitimacy in the eyes of the general public.
- Accessibility. Dash is listed on an extensive range of cryptocurrency exchanges and can also be purchased directly with several fiat currencies. This makes it easily accessible for cryptocurrency newcomers and also helps improve public perceptions of its credibility.
- Voting system. The Dash network features an autonomous governance system that allows anyone to submit a proposal to the community, and that proposal is then voted on by Dash’s network of more than 4,000 masternodes. 10% of the block reward is set aside to fund these development projects.
- Merchant acceptance. Dash is already accepted as a form of payment by a number of merchants – you can check out the full list on the Dash website. If more companies start accepting Dash, this could potentially drive up demand.
- Active community. Dash is also backed by an active community of users that engage with the project. To take a look at what’s going on, check out the currency’s Reddit.
What could hold Dash back?
- Lack of widespread adoption. A key barrier to the success of any cryptocurrency is its ability (or otherwise) to achieve widespread adoption. While many cryptocurrencies aim to offer a viable alternative to fiat currency, a world in which the wider community sees them as such is still relatively far off.
- Competition. One key factor that could impact the demand for Dash is competition from other peer-to-peer cryptocurrencies designed to offer privacy and/or fast and affordable transactions. Expect Dash to face competition from bitcoin, Monero, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin, among others.
- Bitcoin improvements. While we’re on the topic of Dash’s competitors, the bitcoin community is looking at several proposals and developments (for example Lightning Network) designed to help overcome its scalability problems. If successful, these could impact the price of Dash.
- Bitcoin price drops. Dash is most commonly listed in currency pairings with bitcoin (BTC) on cryptocurrency exchanges. As a result, like many other cryptocurrencies, its price is closely linked to the performance of bitcoin.
- Association with criminal activities. Every coin that aims to offer private transactions unavoidably develops associations with illicit activities. For example, in February 2018, a Europol spokesperson listed Dash as one of the most popular cryptocurrencies among criminals.
Where to buy Dash (DASH)
What’s coming up in Dash’s roadmap
To find out how a coin’s price is going to move in the future, take a look at the technological upgrades and releases scheduled in its roadmap. Dash’s roadmap reveals that the key development in the coming months will be the launch of Dash Evolution.
Evolution is an API and mobile app designed to be a user-friendly and scalable digital currency platform suitable for mass adoption. It will allow any user to set up an account on the blockchain, add contacts and pay them by name, as well as make one-click purchases through websites or mobile apps.
Evolution is set to be launched in three stages, with the alpha stage scheduled for June 2018.
The performance of Dash’s competitors may influence the future price of this coin, either positively or negatively. When forecasting future Dash price changes, remember to consider how Dash compares to its key competitors, including:
- Bitcoin (BTC). The world’s biggest cryptocurrency has a big influence over the performance of the digital currency market in general. It also faces some key challenges in the months and years ahead as it battles to solve problems with scalability.
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH). Created in 2017, this hard fork of bitcoin aims to offer faster transaction speeds and lower fees than its older brother bitcoin.
- Monero (XMR). Designed to be secure, anonymous and untraceable, Monero is a privacy coin that uses several methods to anonymize transactions.
- Litecoin (LTC). Designed to be faster and cheaper than bitcoin, Litecoin was launched in 2011 and is one of the world’s top 10 cryptocurrencies by market capitalization at the time of writing in March 2018.
- Nano (NANO). Originally known as RaiBlocks, Nano aims to offer zero fees, instant transactions and infinite scalability.
- PIVX (PIVX). A hard fork of Dash, PIVX was developed with the aim of providing anonymous, fast and low-fee transactions.
- Zcash (ZEC). Another cryptocurrency focused on privacy and protecting user identities, Zcash is built on top of bitcoin’s core code.
Beyond 2021: What does the future hold for Dash?
Cryptocurrency price predictions are highly speculative, so it’s impossible to say with any amount of certainty what level of growth we can expect from Dash in the next 12 to 18 months.
However, what we do know is that the release of Dash Evolution will be a crucial milestone. Evolution is an important stepping stone on the road to providing an easy-to-use and instant cryptocurrency payments platform, so the success of the platform could have a big impact on Dash’s price.
Evolution will be a huge factor in Dash’s efforts to break into the mainstream and achieve widespread adoption. However, the Dash project will face fierce competition from a long list of other digital currencies, including everything from privacy coins to others focused on fast and cheap transactions, and this competition is a major obstacle that will need to be overcome.
Dash is well placed to continue its steady growth and continue working towards its goal of becoming the most user-friendly and scalable payments-focused cryptocurrency in the world. Of course, whether or not it can achieve that goal remains to be seen.
The most important thing to remember if you’re thinking about buying Dash is to do your research first. While Dash’s accessibility, transaction speed, privacy features and governance system are all big advantages, the challenge to fight off the competition and become the number-one digital cash system is a big one.
Monitor news and announcements of the Evolution project closely, and remember to carefully assess all of the factors affecting the price of Dash before deciding whether this coin is worth buying.
More guides on Finder
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
Guarda Wallet – 2021 review
Learn more about the Guarda cryptocurrency wallet and find out how it works.
Eidoo cryptocurrency wallet – May 2021 review
A comprehensive review of the Eidoo cryptocurrency wallet, which offers convenient storage for Bitcoin, and Ethereum ERC20 and ERC223 tokens.
Tulle skirts are still trending: Here’s where to shop for them in 2021
Don a tulle skirt from one of these online retailers for a whimsical and feminine look that never goes out of style.
Top sites to buy men’s jackets online 2021
Men’s jackets can be worn in many different ways. Whether you are after a classic stylish look for work or a causal look for a night on the town, there are a number of options to choose from. We have found the best online stores to buy men’s jackets at bargain prices. Enjoy.
Review: Zebpay cryptocurrency exchange
Read the Zebpay review to find out how to use the app and what to watch out for.
Review: Huobi cryptocurrency exchange – May 2021
What are the features, fees, pros and cons of the Huobi cryptocurrency exchange? Find out in this comprehensive review.
Bitcoin vs gold: What should you know before buying?
How does Bitcoin compare to gold? Here we compare scarcity, practical applications and the culture of value that surrounds each.
Review: Ledger Nano X hardware wallet
See how the Ledger Nano X hardware wallet compares when it comes to security, features and price tag.
How to buy, sell and trade Aeon (AEON)
Check out this step-by-step guide on how to get started with Aeon. Find out how it works, where to buy and much more.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.