Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg
Find the best deal on foreign currency exchange in Winnipeg.
Whether you’re feeding the ducks at Assiniboine Park, taking in a history lesson at the Canadian Museum of Human Rights or grabbing a late lunch at The Forks – chances are you’re going to need some cash for your stay in Winnipeg. We’re here to help you find the best foreign currency exchange to meet your needs.
Who can change my money in Winnipeg?
1. Currency Mart
Currency Mart has a couple of branches in downtown Winnipeg, in both the Cargill Building on Graham Avenue and in St Vital shopping centre on St Mary’s Road. You can preorder currency to pick up for a fee, and both branches are open six days a week.
2. ICE International
This national chain has two locations in Winnipeg at both the airport and on Portage Avenue. You can order currency through their website and they’re open six days a week, excluding Sundays.
3. Olympia Trust Foreign Exchange
This local favorite is conveniently located on Portage Avenue. It’s easy to order travel cash online but they’ll only let you collect it from Monday to Friday since they’re closed on weekends.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Find quotes online. Check rates online before going into a store so that you get a feel for what a “good deal” looks like.
- Know the mid-market rate. Use Google or Reuters to look up the mid-market rate (the rate the banks trade at) and compare this to what’s on offer.
- Avoid paying with plastic. You can avoid hidden charges and fees from your bank if you pay for your currency with cash.
- Steer clear of ATMs. ATMs are convenient and therefore tempting, especially if you’re in a rush, but they also come with high fees and dismal exchange rates.
- Try not to use airport vendors. Kiosks at the airport tend to be more expensive so if you can manage to get into town before you exchange your currency, it could save you a bundle.
- Ask for a price match. If you’ve found a better deal online or at another kiosk, don’t be afraid to barter. There’s no harm in trying and you might even walk out with a better deal.
Compare money transfer services
Similar to foreign currency exchange, an international money transfer is one possible way to send local currency to a loved one overseas. Our table below lets you compare fees and exchange rates for reputable money transfer specialists operating out of Canada.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
A beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to Bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Top Brands like TNA 2021
Love TNA Clothing? Here’s everything you need to know about shopping at stores like TNA.
Where to buy an Xbox Series X online in Canada 2021
Treat yourself to the latest console from Xbox and find out where to get the best deal here.
Buying a car vs. driving a Zipcar in Canada
Which option is best for you depends on where you live and how often you need to drive.
Revolut alternatives in Canada
Looking for alternatives to Revolut? These challenger banks and financial apps may be just what you need.
How to get a $300 loan
Compare your $300 loan options to find a fast, affordable loan when you need it.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
How to master international stock trading with currency hedging
Protect your international stock portfolio from currency fluctuations by hedging your investments.
Investing in pharmaceutical stocks
Benefits and drawbacks to consider before you invest in pharma stocks.
Best Portfolio Trackers of 2021
Crypto portfolio trackers are a must to stay on top of your crypto investments. Here’s our list of the standout trackers to consider with pros and cons for each.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.