Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best places to exchange currency in Hamilton
Find the best deal on foreign currency exchange in Hamilton.
Whether you’re hiking the Bruce Trail, stopping to smell the flowers at the Royal Botanical Gardens or nipping over to Niagara Falls for the day, there are plenty of things to keep you busy in Hamilton. So how do you choose the best foreign currency exchange to make the most of your trip?
Who can change my money in Hamilton?
1. Kantor Currency Exchange
You’ll find this kiosk inside Starsky Foods on Queenston Road. It’s open seven days a week and you can pay with cash or card.
2. Continental Currency Exchange
This is a popular Ontario brand and can be found in the Lime Ridge Mall and at Jackson Square. It’s open seven days a week and you can even order your currency online for fast pick-up or delivery.
3. Global Money Exchange
Located on Upper James Street in Centremount, this store offers currency exchange and money transfers. You can check rates online and visit the store during opening hours, six days a week.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop for offers online. It’s easier to find the best deal when you compare rates online before heading to your nearest vendor. You might even be able to convince them to price match with competitors.
- Know the mid-market rate. Do a quick search for exchange rates on Google or Reuters before you settle on a service. This way you can know when a vendor is trying to charge too much.
- Pay with cash or bank transfer. Avoid using credit or debit cards to pay for your transfer since these often come with hidden charges and fees.
- Walk away from ATMs. ATMs can be convenient but they’re also much more expensive than using a reputable foreign exchange agent, especially if you’re exchanging large amounts.
- Avoid doing business at the airport. Airport vendors are known for offering dismal exchange rates. You can save money by swapping your cash in the city centre or pre-purchasing currency before you fly.
Compare money transfer services
Similar to foreign currency exchange, an international money transfer is one possible way to send local currency to a loved one overseas. Our table below lets you compare fees and exchange rates for reputable money transfer specialists operating out of Canada.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
Compare 1-week payday loans
Though it may seem convenient, repayments can be difficult to afford with a 1-week payday loan.
Buying a car vs. driving a Zipcar in Canada
Which option is best for you depends on where you live and how often you need to drive.
Revolut alternatives in Canada
Looking for alternatives to Revolut? These challenger banks and financial apps may be just what you need.
How to get a $300 loan
Compare your $300 loan options to find a fast, affordable loan when you need it.
Get a $600 loan before your next paycheque
If you’re looking for a $600 loan, consider paycheque advance apps, cash advances, overdrafts and other options.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
How to master international stock trading with currency hedging
Protect your international stock portfolio from currency fluctuations by hedging your investments.
Investing in pharmaceutical stocks
Benefits and drawbacks to consider before you invest in pharma stocks.
Best Portfolio Trackers of 2021
Crypto portfolio trackers are a must to stay on top of your crypto investments. Here’s our list of the standout trackers to consider with pros and cons for each.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.