Whether you’re planning a short weekend getaway or saving up for the trip of a lifetime, you can get to where you need to go faster (and cheaper) by accumulating more Air Miles. Find out how bonus Air Miles work and what you need to do to get more points on everyday purchases.
How do Air Miles work?
Air miles are a type of rewards or frequent flyer points you can collect by using your credit card for eligible purchases. Some frequent flyer credit cards allow you to earn points with one specific program, while others allow you to transfer your points to several frequent flyer programs. Air miles are typically redeemed for flight discounts and upgrades, but can also be used towards accommodation, shopping discounts and other rewards.
Bonus miles typically come in the form of a welcome bonus when you sign up for the credit card and can range from 1,000 miles to 50,000 miles or more depending on the card. Keep in mind, large amounts of bonus miles typically only come with platinum or black cards, which have higher annual fees and stricter eligibility requirements.
Compare Air Miles credit cards
How to compare credit cards offering bonus Air Miles
When looking for a bonus Air Miles credit card, consider the following factors:
- Annual fee. You can usually earn more Air Miles if you sign up for a card with an annual fee. If you don’t want to pay a fee, you’ll save money upfront but will typically earn fewer rewards.
- Return on rewards. Some cards offer more Air Miles per dollar spent than others, so be sure to sign up for the one that offers the best deal.
- Basic benefits. Look for a credit card that offers a good combination of points and benefits, including purchase protection and extended warranty coverage as a bare minimum.
- Added perks. Search for a card that offers additional travel perks like free airport lounge access and discounted car rentals.
- Welcome bonus. You can earn additional points by signing up with a provider that waives your fee in the first year or offers a bonus points promo in your first few months.
- Partner airlines. Even if you’re an absolutely loyal passenger to your frequent flyer airline, it can be advantageous to have access to a large network of partner airlines. This is especially beneficial when you fly out further and require a variety of flight connections.
What can I use bonus Air Miles for?
You can use bonus miles in the same way you use regular Air Miles that you accumulate with eligible spending. Typical rewards include the following:
- Flight discounts and upgrades
- Luggage and travel accessories
- Merchandise and online shopping purchased
- Hotel discounts
- Car rental
- Concert and theme park tickets
- Dining rewards
Depending on the credit card you choose, you may also be able to redeem your Air Miles or rewards points for cashback. Make sure to check the terms and conditions of any card before signing up.
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Purchase interest rate
BMO AIR MILES Mastercard
Apply today and earn 800 AIR MILES bonus miles.
- Purchase interest rate: 19.99%
- Cash advance rate: 22.99%
- Intro balance transfer rate: 1.99% for the first 9 months
- Standard balance transfer rate: 22.99%
- Annual fee: $0
- Credit rating: Good
- Minimum income: $15,000
- Minimum age: Age of majority in the province/territory of residence.
How to redeem Air Miles
Check with your credit card provider to see if you need to meet any spending requirements in order to redeem your welcome bonus Air Miles. Most bonus offers require customers to spend a certain amount within the first 90 days of opening an account and require your account to stay in good standing.
You can typically find out your balance by checking your account online with your credit card provider and redeem your points online or over the phone.
How to redeem Air Miles
Additional ways to earn Air Miles
- Find the best Air Miles credit card. Look for a card that offers the most points per dollar spent.
- Take advantage of promotions. Check out daily and weekly Air Miles offers to earn more bonus rewards on certain purchases.
- Redeem for travel. You’ll typically get a better return on points if you redeem for travel rather than cash back or merchandise.
If you love to travel or want to save money in-store on select purchases, then an Air Miles credit card with a welcome bonus could be just the ticket. These cards are designed for people who travel frequently and want to earn Air Miles on everyday purchases.
Sign up for an Air Miles card today and collect points towards events, merchandise, travel, discounts and more.