Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Coast Capital car loan review
Looking to take out a car loan? Get competitive interest rates when you borrow money from this reputable credit union.
- Consider a Coast Capital car loan if you want to save money on interest and you’re looking to borrow from a credible institution.
- Pick something else if you’d prefer to get financing from a major bank or you don’t live in a province where Coast Capital offers its services.
Expert reviewCoast Capital is one of Canada’s largest and most reputable credit unions. It operates primarily in BC and offers car loan refinancing to customers across several Canadian provinces. All you need to do is fill out some basic personal information along with details about your current financial situation to see if you qualify.
You’ll pay different interest rates on your car loan depending on how much you’re looking to borrow as well as what your credit score looks like. You can use your loan to pay for a new or used vehicle from a dealership as well as private sales. You may even be able to apply for financing to purchase a new fleet of business vehicles, depending on your circumstances.
First, do I qualify?
To get financing from Coast Capital, you’ll need to be at least 19 years old and have a valid Social Insurance Number. You’ll also need to show that you’re a Canadian citizen or resident with a steady income and regular employment.
Most customers will need to consent to a credit check to qualify for a Coast Capital car loan. Just be aware that you may run into issues getting a loan if you have bad credit, no credit or a recent bankruptcy.
What provinces are Coast Capital car loans available in?Coast Capital car loans are available in most Canadian provinces, with the exception of Saskatchewan and Quebec. That said, Coast Capital only has physical branches in BC. This means that you might want to consider another option if you would prefer to deal with your car loan in person.
What makes Coast Capital car loans unique?Coast Capital car loans are unique because they’re offered with a reputable credit union, rather than a big bank or private lender. This means that you won’t pay big bank prices to borrow money and you won’t need to go with a private lender that you’re unsure about or who doesn’t have very many good reviews online.Coast Capital car loans are also unique because they let you choose which type of vehicle you want to finance. It can be either a new, used or private sale vehicle – depending on your preferences. This is uncommon in the car loan industry, as many lenders will only finance brand new vehicles or those over a certain price point.
What types of car loans does Coast Capital offer?
You’ll be able to apply for a number of different car loans with Coast Capital, depending on what type of financing you need and what type of car you want to buy.
- New or used car loans. It’s possible to qualify for new or used car financing from a dealership if this is the route you want to go.
- Private sale loans. You can get money to purchase a vehicle from a friend or an online marketplace (such as Kijiji or Craigslist) if you want to spend less overall.
- Refinancing loans. You’ll be able to apply to refinance an existing loan to get better interest rates or a longer term.
- Pre-approved loans. You can apply to be pre-approved for a loan if you want to know how much money you have to spend before you start shopping.
What are the benefits of a Coast Capital car loan?
- Reputable dealer. Coast Capital is one of the largest credit unions in Canada and it’s well known for offering decent loan rates and repayment schedules.
- Competitive rates. You’ll likely pay less with Coast Capital than you will with any of Canada’s Big Five Banks (and you can often refinance your loan for less as well).
- Flexible payment options. You can choose a payment schedule and loan term that meets your unique set of needs and budget.
- Deferred payments. You may be eligible to make no loan payments in your first 90 days, depending on the status of your credit (though interest will still be charged).
- Private sales loans. You can use the money you borrow to purchase a private sale vehicle and Coast Capital will help you make sure the car you want to buy isn’t a lemon.
- Business fleet financing. You could qualify for financing if you want to purchase multiple vehicles for your business with a Coast Capital car loan.
- Wide range of vehicles considered. You may be able to get financing for all types of vehicles – including compact, hybrid, luxury and commercial vehicles.
How is refinancing my loan different from getting a new loan?
When you refinance your loan, Coast Capital will pay off your existing loan from another institution. From there, you’ll pay the outstanding balance of your former loan back to Coast Capital instead of your old lender. This allows Coast Capital to give you a lower interest rate or better terms on your loan.
A new loan is issued by Coast Capital and remains there until it’s paid off, unless you refinance it with another institution. Most new Coast Capital car loans will have terms ranging from three to five years. There are no interest rates outlined on the company website, so you’ll need to speak directly to an agent to find out more about how much you’ll have to pay.
What to watch out for
- Few loan details are available. There’s no information about interest rates or term lengths online, so you won’t know what your loan might look like before you apply for a quote.
- No new loans for recreational vehicles. You won’t be able to use your loan to purchase recreational vehicles (but you may be able to get this type of loan refinanced).
- High rates for bad credit. You could end up paying higher than normal rates for your loan if you have a bad credit score.
- Not available in all of Canada. You won’t be able to use Coast Capital car loans in Quebec or Saskatchewan.
- No online quotes. You’ll have to speak to a customer service representative over the phone to get pricing information for your loan.
How do I apply?
If you want to apply for a Coast Capital car loan, you’ll have to fill in an online application. From there, you’ll be contacted by a customer service agent to discuss your eligibility, along with rates and terms. You’ll then need to finalize your loan and take care of all the necessary paperwork to proceed with approval.
Once you’re approved and all of your paperwork is squared away, you’ll get access to money to purchase the vehicle of your choice. You can easily get pre-approved to buy a new or used vehicle with a dealership. You may need to jump through a couple more hoops to get private sale financing or to purchase a fleet of vehicles for your business.
What documents do I need to apply?
It’s not clear what documents you’ll need to apply. That said, it’s likely you’ll need to submit the following paperwork:
- Proof of ID. This can include a government-issued form of ID as well as your Social Insurance Number.
- Proof of income. You may need to submit documents such as pay stubs, tax receipts and letters of employment.
- Credit report. You’ll have to allow Coast Capital to pull your credit report so that it can assess your creditworthiness.
- Other financial information. You may need to provide a list of your debts and assets, along with other evidence that you can afford your monthly payments.
Comare car loan options from other lenders
I got the loan – now what?
You’ll negotiate your term length and loan repayment terms when you sign your loan agreement. The payments you have to make will be based on your interest rate, how long your term is and how often you make payments. If possible, you should see if Coast Capital offers no-fee prepayment on its loans (in case you come into a lump sum of cash).
Once you sign your loan, you’ll have to start making payments right away. These will usually be taken out of your bank account using an automatic debit. You should start by finding out what dates your money will come out and making sure you have enough in your account to cover your payments.
Frequently asked question
More guides on Finder
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students Review
Earn Aeroplan Points and other travel benefits with the CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students.
Neo Financial Rewards Credit Card Review
Shop with Neo’s partners to earn accelerated cashback on your purchases with this innovative credit card.
Assumption Life Insurance Review
Secure life insurance from this reputable provider to make sure you and your family are covered in an emergency.
Tangerine Mortgage Review
Lock in top-notch rates and flexible terms for your mortgage with this reputable online bank.
Canada Protection Plan Life Insurance Review
Protect your family’s quality of life in the event of your death with life insurance products from this reputable provider.
2M7 Merchant Cash Advance Review
2M7 provides up to 125% of your average monthly sales in a merchant cash advance that you’ll repay incrementally based on your daily sales transactions.
Canada Drives car loan review
Canada Drives simplifies the process of buying a car, showing you how much you can borrow along with a list of vehicles you’ve already qualified for based on your approved financing.
HSBC Student Chequing Account Review
Post-secondary students in Canada can take advantage of this HSBC Student Chequing Account with unlimited transactions and no monthly fee.
Tangerine Visa Debit Card Review
Tangerine’s Visa Debit Card comes with unlimited free transactions. It allows users to safely shop online and make purchases while abroad like a credit card wherever Visa is accepted.